Board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
WOW...

DWZ
CHN
JMK
REMIS

I mean in all fairness the board has actually done fine.. and if this season goes well and they identify one or two players for key roles then credit too them, this team will fire this Year and this thread I believe is TRASH..!!!

I think the board will surprise over the next couple years and the club will attract some big names again and some beaut signings.
Well said Scoob

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Totally agree. Can't see how some people don't understand that not everyone has a MIL or more up their sleeve
We don't know how much each club will have. What if Burgess can't overcome hes shoulder injury and retires and suddenly Souths have a ton of cap space. Or what about the Storm if Smith hangs up the boots next season, the Dragons will have some big names coming off contract, not to mention the Warriors and Titans throw around contracts to everyone who can pass a ball. Oh and I still haven't mentioned the Broncos yet.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We should be looking for new halves as a priority, we have about 200 backrowers, why would we go and give another one $1m.
We also have some highly rated young backrowers coming through...we simply don't need anymore.

Like you said our halves are a priority and where we need to make a big investment, I'd personally throw the entire spine in as a priority as I'm not sold on anyone of them just yet.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People fall for the bullshit in the Telegraph hook, line and sinker with us being linked to all these high profile players and think we are going to have a Origin type of side full of superstars. We have money to spend but we also have plenty of spots in the roster to fill which means we have to be smart in our spending.

I think the last election has given some here the false expectation that every time there’s something they don’t agree with that the board will be turfed out. In the history of the club it’s extremely rare to have a board change like it did in a election let alone change in any other circumstances.

You need a few things to go your way to sign players in our current predicament and if the club can pull a few rabbits out the hat then I’ll be pleased but if they don’t the rebuilding of our junior pathways has us on the right track anyway.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This thread is a beauty. So we change the Board everytime someone on TK is upset because the Board didnt sign who they wanted. Good luck. Only commenting on title thats as far as i got.
Bull, unintentionally you are diverting the attention away from the real issues
The way I look at it, the people responsible for recruiting if they fail their responsibilities...They must go !!!
The club and the supporters can not and should not tolerate failure any longer !!!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I cant believe the negative shit posted on here. I believe the club is progressing nicely.
They have not gone full pelt for overpriced (and sometimes under performing) players.
The financial situation wont be fully realised until about 2021. The best approach at the moment is "steady as she goes"
I cant wait for a response from the soccer player.
Agreed! It’s like talking to a brick wall though mate

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People fall for the bullshit in the Telegraph hook, line and sinker with us being linked to all these high profile players and think we are going to have a Origin type of side full of superstars. We have money to spend but we also have plenty of spots in the roster to fill which means we have to be smart in our spending.

I think the last election has given some here the false expectation that every time there’s something they don’t agree with that the board will be turfed out. In the history of the club it’s extremely rare to have a board change like it did in a election let alone change in any other circumstances.

You need a few things to go your way to sign players in our current predicament and if the club can pull a few rabbits out the hat then I’ll be pleased but if they don’t the rebuilding of our junior pathways has us on the right track anyway.
People are saying here we can't attract big names so we should focus on juniors. Why would exceptional juniors come to us ahead of the Roosters where they can train and become part of a premiership winning club. Just imagine if we spend years building up our juniors and we develop a couple of exceptional players. What's to stop the Roosters poaching them for a MIL a season ? Absolutely nothing !!! Do you think they will stay loyal ?. Did any of our past premiership winning players stay loyal when they got bigger offers elsewhere ? History shows not. Why should we be the only team who plays fair. Why should we and other clubs let the Roosters keep the best talent for less than what they're worth on the open market. I wish other teams would offer a MIL a season for every Roosters player who comes off contract. See how they go then when their club becomes a f..king turnstile for players.
Many said before the last election that there's no way Dib would be thrown out because he had a tonne of cousins and friends as voting members but look what happened. The new board has already failed as I see it in securing a much needed good young hooker. If they fail to sign anyone decent other than players their clubs are happy to let go then they've f..king failed AGAIN BIG TIME and we should give someone else a turn. They're lucky the players ended up turning up for Pay late in the season because if the performances hadn't improved virtually EVERYBODY would be calling for their heads already. Remember they failed to get Holbrook also when it looked like Pay was shit. Our CEO (and former Eel remember) Andrew Hill seems as weak as piss from what I've seen. What did he go to England for the first time - to f..king introduce himself ? and now he's going back. If he doesn't get a signature then he's 100% f..king useless as a CEO / businessman and even if he signs Thompson I won't consider it an achievement unless the guy turns out to be a worldbeater when he plays for us (considering we could have chased and maybe got Fifita) If we get Thompson and he turns out to be a little better than average and Fifita kills it for the Broncos or Roosters for the next 10 years all those who were against the idea I hope go get well and truly F..KED !!! Same for those who would rather us sign Leilua over Mitchell to save a few dollars like it's coming out of their personal bank account also. Too many losers on here these days used to losing apparently. I remember different times when the Dogs signed great players from other clubs adding to the best players we already had and we won comps - exactly what the Roosters are doing these days

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are saying here we can't attract big names so we should focus on juniors. Why would exceptional juniors come to us ahead of the Roosters where they can train and become part of a premiership winning club. Just imagine if we spend years building up our juniors and we develop a couple of exceptional players. What's to stop the Roosters poaching them for a MIL a season ? Absolutely nothing !!! Do you think they will stay loyal ?. Did any of our past premiership winning players stay loyal when they got bigger offers elsewhere ? History shows not. Why should we be the only team who plays fair. Why should we and other clubs let the Roosters keep the best talent for less than what they're worth on the open market. I wish other teams would offer a MIL a season for every Roosters player who comes off contract. See how they go then when their club becomes a f..king turnstile for players.
Many said before the last election that there's no way Dib would be thrown out because he had a tonne of cousins and friends as voting members but look what happened. The new board has already failed as I see it in securing a much needed good young hooker. If they fail to sign anyone decent other than players their clubs are happy to let go then they've f..king failed AGAIN BIG TIME and we should give someone else a turn. They're lucky the players ended up turning up for Pay late in the season because if the performances hadn't improved virtually EVERYBODY would be calling for their heads already. Remember they failed to get Holbrook also when it looked like Pay was shit.
So really we shouldn’t be doing anything because the Roosters will just poach all our juniors on million dollar deals....

It’s not one or the other when it comes to buying or developing talent. I don’t expect us to be getting a super star on big dollars I think we will make smart purchases to supplement what we have on the books and in the pipeline of junior talent.

Are you a voting member of the football club?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So really we shouldn’t be doing anything because the Roosters will just poach all our juniors on million dollar deals....

It’s not one or the other when it comes to buying or developing talent. I don’t expect us to be getting a super star on big dollars I think we will make smart purchases to supplement what we have on the books and in the pipeline of junior talent.

Are you a voting member of the football club?
I wish I was a voting member. I just think most of us would agree the existing players below are fine to make up a very strong team plus there's now no decent hookers or halves available so we can't improve those positions. All we can do is improve the other positions (currently filled virtually by Holland, Meaney and Tolman). To fill those 3 positions it just seems ridiculous not to fill them with the absolutely BEST young players available who will be in their prime health for the next 4 or 5 years. I can't see any reason why we wouldn't do whatever it takes to get Mitchell, Ramien and Fifita for those 3 positions. A few genuine gamebreakers who can create something from nothing can make the biggest difference. I want us to go back to doing what worked for us in the past when we signed Terry Lamb, Tunks, Kelly etc and combined them with the Mortimer brothers. We used to do exactly what the Roosters are doing now. Why do you think they bought 4 members of our 2004 premiership team. We need to play by the same rules as them to match them. Des tried to do similar recently but failed because he put his faith in lazy cun.s like Mbye and Woods and did it the wrong way by backending contracts.

2 DWZ
3 Hopoate
5 Smith
6 Foran
7 Cogger
8 Napa
9 JMK
11 CHN
12 Jackson
13 Stimson

1 Mitchell (goalkicker)
2 DWZ
3 Hopoate
4 Ramien
5 Smith
6 Foran
7 Cogger
8 Napa
9 JMK
10 Fifita
11 CHN
12 Jackson
13 Stimson

Our BEST potential team. Better bet than just hoping other young players become as good as Fifita and Mitchell have already proved.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish I was a voting member. I just think most of us would agree the existing players below are fine to make up a very strong team plus there's now no decent hookers or halves available so we can't improve those positions. All we can do is improve the other positions (currently filled virtually by Holland, Meaney and Tolman). To fill those 3 positions it just seems ridiculous not to fill them with the absolutely BEST young players available who will be in their prime health for the next 4 or 5 years. I can't see any reason why we wouldn't do whatever it takes to get Mitchell, Ramien and Fifita for those 3 positions. A few genuine gamebreakers who can create something from nothing can make the biggest difference. I want us to go back to doing what worked for us in the past when we signed Terry Lamb, Tunks, Kelly etc and combined them with the Mortimer brothers. We used to do exactly what the Roosters are doing now. Why do you think they bought 4 members of our 2004 premiership team. We need to play by the same rules as them to match them. Des tried to do similar recently but failed because he put his faith in lazy cun.s like Mbye and Woods and did it the wrong way by backending contracts.

2 DWZ
3 Hopoate
5 Smith
6 Foran
7 Cogger
8 Napa
9 JMK
11 CHN
12 Jackson
13 Stimson

1 Mitchell (goalkicker)
2 DWZ
3 Hopoate
4 Ramien
5 Smith
6 Foran
7 Cogger
8 Napa
9 JMK
10 Fifita
11 CHN
12 Jackson
13 Stimson

Our BEST potential team. Better bet than just hoping other young players become as good as Fifita and Mitchell have already proved.
If you’re actually interested in becoming a voting member then send me a PM

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s no different from the success the Storm continue to create to this day. So you can’t say it’s an outdated formula.

They don’t pay overs for established players, and continue to identify the best young talent and develop them through their junior network.

I can count on one hand the amount of quality juniors we’ve produced in the past decade. It’s directly linked to our overall lack of success.
I see what you’re pointing out...

Keep in mind that it’s Easier for storm to do what they’re doing considering their a one team state... it’s also easier to buy into their culture and knuckle down knowing you don’t have the spotlight on you everyday of the week...

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck off we dont need stars, we need players with hearts on their sleeves.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually like how this board are working on our junior system again and signing players that want to be here dont forget how good our last 2 months of footy were ,we are building nicely

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I see what you’re pointing out...

Keep in mind that it’s Easier for storm to do what they’re doing considering their a one team state... it’s also easier to buy into their culture and knuckle down knowing you don’t have the spotlight on you everyday of the week...
I don’t really buy that.

We attracted, developed and produced talent successfully for a very long period of time without much issue until the club was run by a group of people who thought they’d try and buy an instant premiership, and neglect junior development in the process.

Realistically we haven’t produced anything of note since Jackson and Finucane. It’s nearly a decade since they made their debuts..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Some context for certain Kennellers for their next rant:

‘The Board’ are responsible for governance, not running the business nor recruitment.

A recruitment committee exists, which may be chaired by a board member, but no doubt would contain Hill, Pay and others. So this talk of ‘sack the board’ if player X isn’t signed is nonsense and not even reflective of reality.

Boards generally can’t be ‘sacked’, unless a clear breach of the club constitution has occurred, which basically doesn’t happen, but even then it’s a process. Boards can be voted out by members of the football club.

For callers of ‘sacking’ the board - are you going to organise a competing ticket against the current board with relevant talent and be able to convince the voting members that you have a better plan and path forward? Doubtful.

Who says the existing team are not prepared for 1 November for 2021 discussions? Who said the club ever wanted Holbrook? There’s a lot of assumption going on.

What, because the CEO doesn’t come out and speak publicly about the plans - how many businesses do you know hand their strategy publicly to their competitors? Think people!

As far as I see almost nothing has changed since May 2018 when the then recently elected board told the members upfront (I was in the room) it would be ‘2020 at the earliest, but most likely 2021’ before we were clear of the mess created before their election. That remains the case. I believe this board needs a second term to deliver their plans. If by February 2022 we haven’t played finals football, have a quality squad, good sponsorships and growing membership among some of the priorities, I’m sure a competitive ticket will present itself for an alternative direction - just the same as this board did against the previous board.

About the squad: there are smarter football brains on here than me, so I’m not going to bleat about specific players/strategies. We obviously need some strength in key positions, no one argues that - but I’d rather we take our time, build 60-70% of our squad from within where good players are in blue and white because they want to be and because they are paid reflective of their input on and off the field. That’s how you build a great culture and it takes time. Use the ‘war chest’ to upgrade and extend those performing, showing promise and loyalty.

Then recruit where the gaps are rather than some band-aid of chasing perceived superstars from other clubs who (if they came) would likely only come for the money and could well flop (think She-Rex), who admitted he only came for the money. Dud.

As for throwing the bank at these ‘marquee’ players - that worked really well for She-Rex and Sharon Woods among others, didn’t it? Does anyone here want to start another shit-show we are just about to emerge from? I don’t. That started from contract mis-management - and I don’t just mean ‘back-ended’ - I mean total salary management. There’s governance there now, it should work a whole lot better.

Might be an old saying, but a champion team is better than a team of champions. As a supporter of this club for more than 40 years, I don’t accept mediocrity like some on here claim but I accept that after a bush fire like we had, it takes time to regenerate - and for mine we are well on the way there.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s no different from the success the Storm continue to create to this day. So you can’t say it’s an outdated formula.

They don’t pay overs for established players, and continue to identify the best young talent and develop them through their junior network.

I can count on one hand the amount of quality juniors we’ve produced in the past decade. It’s directly linked to our overall lack of success.
Storm had 3 of the best players in the NRL in Smith, Slater and Cronk so didn't need to shop for further established big names. Imagine how they would have gone if those 3 were just decent players but not great players (probably on a MIL each). How would the Roosters have gone the last 2 seasons without Tedesco and Keary who they bought from outside the club. How would Souths have gone in the 2014 GF against us minus their stars Inglis and Burgess (on a MIL each). People here are saying we should focus on our juniors to build and saying the board have done a good job there. Last year we won the friggin ISP and national comps in reserve grade but afterwards the club let go several of the best players from the team including the man of the match Josh Cleeland, plus prominent hooker Zac Woolford and player of the year Lachlan Burr. How did the board go with that one ?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Agree 100%. If we use up our war chest on signing good enough players than the board has to go! You have the money. No more excuses! Not just one marquee player but 3.

Latrell
Fifita
Xerri
I'd take 2 of them...x out xerri...hes soft. Fast but soft

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
While there’s many flaws in his debate there’s also very valid points.

Storm aren’t a good example, neither are broncos or roosters.

They are all clearly just cheats.Besides the roosters the other two also have a huge advantage in location for third party and other shit they pull.

The days of what we could do are dead in the nrl.

The storm have been built around 3 of the best blokes in the game for the past decade and as he said the roosters have bought stars that they needed to be where they are now too. They also get majority of the good kids they go for that are so highly touted.

I remember hearing about butcher years ago and how promising he was and multiple clubs wanting him. Who has him
On the bench?

Who got the young walkers half everyone wanted this year?

I actually know a mates uncle was tied up with blokes who played for the roosters back in the early 2000’s and they use to get money off the books and that’s no bs.

Anyway I agree we need money spent wisely on some astute signings like Dwz was. Though we also need some star signings and the star signing or two will make these blokes like api, Herman, Raimen etc likely take a lower offer from us than what they want now.

It also might help us recruit some future talented kids with the attraction to play with a star
Or two. That will save us $ in another way.

I’m not saying give any old player 1mil or something crazy.

Though he has a point and it’s got some valid logic if you look past the initial thought

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sick of people bitching about our recruitment.. DWZ CHN Napa have been awesome