Board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
WOW...

DWZ
CHN
JMK
REMIS

I mean in all fairness the board has actually done fine.. and if this season goes well and they identify one or two players for key roles then credit too them, this team will fire this Year and this thread I believe is TRASH..!!!

I think the board will surprise over the next couple years and the club will attract some big names again and some beaut signings.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should be realistic...This club has the finances to be the powerhouse of THE LEAGUE
1. We are in desperate need for game breakers
2. The board made decisions and released players and HAD PLANS to rebuild the team for 2021 season
3. The way the game is, from the 1st of November the rebuilding time for 2021 should and must begin
4. We all are aware of the salary cap mismanagement, that can not be used as an excuse any more
5. For whatever reason If the team rebuild fails...Heads must roll, NO EXCUSES FOR FAILURE !!!
Call it paranoia...Will the National Rorting League Allow the rebuild ???

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Foran was signed, it was generally thought it was a master stroke...
Really? The way I remember it, everyone thought it would go the way it has...paying overs for someone who spends half his time on the sidelines

Great for those 5 or so games when he’s fit, but a massive hole when he’s repeatedly injured

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It’s no different from the success the Storm continue to create to this day. So you can’t say it’s an outdated formula.

They don’t pay overs for established players, and continue to identify the best young talent and develop them through their junior network.

I can count on one hand the amount of quality juniors we’ve produced in the past decade. It’s directly linked to our overall lack of success.
Whilst I agree to a great extent, let's acknowledge that Storm are basicly the 4th Qld team and have massive advantages in their QLD Cup teams, plus those teams' Qld juniors and no local juniors in Melb.

I know they get it right and recruit par excellance but we can't match that talent pool.

Sharks on the other hand seem to consistently development juniors so we need to improve.

If you were a promising junior, you would seriously think twice about joining us...we take too long to give these guys a chance and stick with plodders rather than promote early.

We have worked on this in recent years but we are behind the eight ball.

David Fifita at 19 would still be in CCup with us.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers? Oh, wasn't trying to give you a complement pal ... was just taking the high rode and not going down to your level.

Such simplistic thinking is crazy, though I was there at one point. Over time we all see things a little bit deeper and realise it's not just as simple as going out there and saying "I want this, this, and this player" and them signing up.

Splash the cash on a few players affects the whole team. Player comes in who's on 800,000 then a player who's been with us for years and is on 500,000 will be asking for more. Players become unsettled. Unhappy. In this day & age players walking out on a contract only halfway through is the norm. Why? Money.

Think the club is trying to be smarter and getting the players who really want to be here. They buy into our values. Our vision. That want to work hard etc.

Personally prefer players that play for the Blue and White rather than the $$$
I just can't understand the club's interest in chasing Joey Leilua and Hill also admitted we were interested in Radradra. Leilua has well publicised attitude / discipline problems and Radradra had no connection with the club either so the club obviously isn't concerned at all about the attitude of players and how they'll fit in. There will always be a little bit of jealousy when some players are paid higher but none of our players seem to begrudge Foran because he's on a MIL + per year. They have to realise they get paid market value and if they want their value to go up then they have to perform also. The addition of a few star players give the rest confidence usually. I remember how much better we improved when we signed a stack of players (Terry Lamb, Peter Tunks, Peter Kelly) a year or 2 year prior to us winning the comps in 1984 & 85. I remember how we improved after signing the 3 Broncos players including Michael Ennis. I remember how the Roosters improved after signing several of our 2004 premiership team over a few years (Anasta, Mason, O'Meley, SBW), how the Eels improved when they signed several 3 of our players during Super League including McCracken, Jason Smith, Dymock, and Pay, how Penrith improved after signing Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly from the Dogs 80s premiership teams.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 Targets would be
David Fafita
&
Katoni Staggs - IMO better value that Latrell.

I would also have a look at young Cowboys halfback Jake Clifford - still very green but I see potential there & there are not many good young halves available.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to prevent another atrocious thread like this from being published I’d like the members of this forum to revisit our lineup from our last Premiership in ‘04.

This team was comprised of our own nurtured talent combined with a handful of quality players who were shrewdly poached from other clubs at the right price without paying overs. Think Willie Tonga, Bobcat, OMeley etc.

If you hadnt noticed, the current regime have spent a lot of time and effort in the past 24 months rebuilding our junior systems and pathways, after a period of neglect Our purchases from other clubs have been quality, young talent at the right price.

Trust the process
From what I've read we've missed out on a number of the highest rated juniors. The Roosters recently signed the best rated junior half (can't remember his name). Remember the Roosters also signed 4 of our 2004 Premiership team which helped them improve big time

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
David Fifita was man of the match in Australia's recent win in the 9s. Likely to be picked for the second test team for Australia according to Mal Meninga. In the last 4 games for the Broncos he had a record like close to 40 tackle breaks. He's a freak at just 19 and remember Peter Mullholland probably the best recruitment manager there is said Fifita is the most talented kid he's "ever seen".

Now that Radradra is unaffordable unfortunately following his performances at the rugby world cup we seriously need to do "whatever it takes" to get a couple of young players who are already PROVEN STARS (not maybes) like Fifita and Mitchell.
We have this so called war chest and if we use it to sign rejects from other teams only like Leilua then that's just f..king ridiculous, our management have failed and the board need to go at the next election seriously.

Other teams have "multiple" stars / Australian internationals / current State of Origin players in their teams. Surely we can afford at least 2. If we're going to buy players and if we're going to seriously challenge for a comp we need at least 2 of the very BEST players who are the best in the NRL in their positions and these 2 young players are the BEST BETS to be this quality for a very long time.

Yes I already know the arguments of some saying the Roosters and Broncos will never let these players go and Mitchell isn't consistent and will just have a bludge if we sign him for big dollars, and only spine players are worth that money etc etc etc but the thing is if we believe we have no chance and never go after these players then we're playing right into the hands of the other clubs and we're defeated f..king losers before we even start. MONEY f..king talks ALWAYS !!!!. We need to offer 150-200K more a season than any other club or slightly more if really needed for 4 or 5 year contracts. Play Mitchell at fullback where he can earn his $$$. Play Fifita at lock. Consistency ? Mitchell wants to retire in 10 years. If he wants to maximise his earning potential he'll need to play well enough to be selected in all rep teams and earn the extra dollars (90K for State of Origin). He'll need to play well enough to earn a second big contract in future. Like any player once he becomes mates with the rest of our team he would play for his mates as well as himself just like Napa does. Only 12 month ago Napa was at the Roosters but now after every win his smile is beaming from ear to ear and he obviously enjoys the winning spirit just as much (maybe more) than during his time at the Roosters. No decent player likes playing reserve grade also remember. We also need someone like Mitchell who can kick goals, field goals and can kick LONG in general play to regain field position.

Spine players ? Not really any decent players available until 2022 (Keary and Munster). Are you happy to wait until then ? They'll be well over a MIL each. On his day Foran is close to these 2. If he can stay healthy we could re-sign him on a downgrade in 2021. We're also in a more healthy position than many clubs with 3 decent halves coming through in Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham. JMK is improving at hooker also. Even if we sign Mitchell and Fifita for 900K to a MIL a season we should have enough left over to chase a decent hooker like Grant and a centre like Ramien if we shed a few fringe players like Holland.

The board seem to be looking at bargain buys like rejects from other clubs and UK players at the moment. We need a couple of genuine stars though who can make a break from nothing or can create havoc in broken play. What we don't need is average first graders or just above. I'd rather pay 900K a year for a couple of genuine game breakers than having 4 average first graders at 450K with 2 in first grade and the other 2 playing reserve grade or off the bench.
When will people realize that the board have nothing to do with signing players. Get with the programme.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure Fifita was already come out and said that he doesn’t want to leave, pretty sure he still lives at home and is comfortable there, maybe he mistaken with someone else but pretty sure it was him. We don’t need anymore backrowers anyway.

Mitchell id love to see here and I think we will have a crack at him.

However the most important signing we can make right now is bringing in a proven half, not many on the market but that’s the most important position for us to fill. Can’t count on Foran anymore so I’d like to see us let him go when he’s contract is up.

While I’m at it, I’d love us to go after another hooker as well, JMK is solid but he isn’t winning us anything. Time to be ruthless.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven’t really missed out on anyone worth losing sleep over plus they technically haven’t lied about not having money until next year, we beat 3 top 8 teams with easily the least experienced roster. We should be happy that we haven’t signed anyone who is just there for coin which obviously api, and Ramien etc we’re out there for. Besides just because you buy a good player doesn’t mean they immediately fit in, it’s chemistry things take time to build humans aren’t robots, the team here took over a year to click and find their groove.

Judge the board mid season if no big players have been signed and it’s not even November 1st yet this year.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Board needs to go if we don't sign X, Y, and Z?

Get a grip of yourselves idiots. FFS.

#1 there's really only so much power they have in their hands. Any idiot can see we're not the most attractive of clubs atm so we can't just pick and choose which player signs up for us. Surely that's obvious?

#2 How do we know they're the right players for the club? That they match what we're looking for? Woods, T-Rex, Foran etc. etc. we've spent top $ on players and that hasn't panned out to well, has it?

Got absolutely no problem with supporters questioning our direction, no one should follow blindly. I will, and have debated potential signings with many a supporter on here and will continue to do so and will also respect their opinions.

But statements like "the board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell" absolute lunacy and honestly disgust me that a Bulldog supporter is spewing such rubbish.
Very well put! What makes this nonsense even worse is that we are less then 2 weeks out from the trade window opening, and there is every chance we will make one of these big signings that everyone wants.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Fifita and Mitchell could get the money they want at any club they want to play for. What makes us so special that they will want to come play for us? Why would Mitchell leave the roosters who will pay him basically the same amount as any other club would, to come play for a team at the foot of the ladder?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Most clubs have caught on to what we are doing and are already shedding their own rosters for 2020 and going hard for 2021. So we will be competing against most clubs.
Why would Fifita want to come to.our club when he can command same money and go to a.steonger roster or stay at Broncos?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fifita and Mitchell could get the money they want at any club they want to play for. What makes us so special that they will want to come play for us? Why would Mitchell leave the roosters who will pay him basically the same amount as any other club would, to come play for a team at the foot of the ladder?
Inaccurate. Roosters will pay Latrell something between 600-800k. Roosters can't compete with 1m offers for Latrell. That isn't how to Roosters retain/build their team. They'd rather let Latrell go. If the Rabbitohs for e.g. came in with the same offer as us for Latrell, lets say 1m, then he'd go to the Rabbitohs.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we sign these guys for $1.3m, they flop, and the same ***** are on here saying “the board has to go” “they signed him” “ they’re responsible”.
Fuck off.
The board will do what’s right, for the club. That’s why they were hired.
Okay out of 2 beat up overweight Joey Leilua's at 500K a pop and 1 young fit injury free Latrell Mitchell at 900K who do you say is more chance of being a flop ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most clubs have caught on to what we are doing and are already shedding their own rosters for 2020 and going hard for 2021. So we will be competing against most clubs.
Why would Fifita want to come to.our club when he can command same money and go to a.steonger roster or stay at Broncos?
How many clubs can afford to pay Fifita 900K or a MIL a season. Maybe only us and the Warriors. Broncos can't if they're looking for new halves as a priority

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inaccurate. Roosters will pay Latrell something between 600-800k. Roosters can't compete with 1m offers for Latrell. That isn't how to Roosters retain/build their team. They'd rather let Latrell go. If the Rabbitohs for e.g. came in with the same offer as us for Latrell, lets say 1m, then he'd go to the Rabbitohs.
Totally agree. Can't see how some people don't understand that not everyone has a MIL or more up their sleeve

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How many clubs can afford to pay Fifita 900K or a MIL a season. Maybe only us and the Warriors. Broncos can't if they're looking for new halves as a priority
We should be looking for new halves as a priority, we have about 200 backrowers, why would we go and give another one $1m.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid thread....
If the board doesnt give us a wally lewis clone, peter stearling as our halfback.
And free seasonal tickets for everyone, this board has to go.
We have no rep players......... foran,napa,jmk, jacko, rfm, chn, dwz, hoppa, reimis....should i go on.
Stupid small minded thread. No idea bradtolo.
So you will be happy if we use the "war chest" and sign Joey Leilua for 3 years and 1 prop from England whose never played NRL before ? You'll think our management have done a good job then ?. I want Andrew Hill and the board to know the fans expect them to do their f..king job and improve our team to the BEST of their ability by signing the BEST players available in the comp in the positions we can fill. Most of our players are decent first graders. Hookers our management missed the f..king boat already with 3 good potentials (were they sitting on their hands, WTF happened there ?) No decent halves available anytime in the near future. We already have decent first graders in most positions but would you agree we could at least strengthen centre unless you would prefer to keep Holland or you're more than 50% sure Harper is gonna be a star. Are you happy to re-sign Tolman again in 2021 for more years and not strengthen his position ? or are you fairly sure Toomaga is going to be a better player than Fifita come 2021 ? When we have decent players in most positions and only really need to improve 2 or 3 I don't understand some people wanting to be conservative and buy more average / decent players for those limited positions. If we have 3 positions to improve I want them improved with the best f..king players in those positions in the NRL. I'm sick of our team being average or worse. I want our team to get back to top 4 material NOW (gonna have to wait til 2021 as it is). Don't want to wait another 5 or 10 f..king years to rebuild with guys who may or may not be better than average. Might be dead by then. Would rather put some faith in 2 players that have already proved good enough by the age of 19 and 21 to play for Australia / win 2 comps etc

Last edited: