Board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fatso Leilua was not one of the best centres in the NRL this season at all.

Will he be an improvement over Holland and Montoya, yes. But with a deal of 3 x $500k is he going to be value for money, no sure.
Yes,every game I watched Canberra play leilua and wighton were the best backs in the Canberra side,until his injury,and the 2 games against us,he cut us to pieces,and he's not going to cost us the earth,like Mitchell with all his head problems

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cheers. I was dead set against keeping Pay and was calling for him to be sacked just like everyone else. I wanted us to sign Holbrook but late in the season when we started to defend really well and won those games against higher teams it changed my opinion. There's a lack of good coaches available also. Pay seems to be getting the best out of the players now so happy for him to be given his chance to show improvement next year now. If we get off to a bad start though again the knives will be out. Don't worry.
Cheers? Oh, wasn't trying to give you a complement pal ... was just taking the high rode and not going down to your level.

Such simplistic thinking is crazy, though I was there at one point. Over time we all see things a little bit deeper and realise it's not just as simple as going out there and saying "I want this, this, and this player" and them signing up.

Splash the cash on a few players affects the whole team. Player comes in who's on 800,000 then a player who's been with us for years and is on 500,000 will be asking for more. Players become unsettled. Unhappy. In this day & age players walking out on a contract only halfway through is the norm. Why? Money.

Think the club is trying to be smarter and getting the players who really want to be here. They buy into our values. Our vision. That want to work hard etc.

Personally prefer players that play for the Blue and White rather than the $$$

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Theres always rising stars coming through the ranks and there's always a way to build an ultra competitive team.

To make statements like this that "if they don't sign mitchell or fafita the board should be sacked" is utter ridiculousness, just complete shit.

Our number one priority at the moment should be either a hooker or a half.

Hooker is wait and see, for me at the moment, as jmk has impressed this season and let's see how far he can develop next season.

Halves we have an ageing foran and two potentials in cogger and wakeham (lewis has no future at the club) so thats a wait and see problem too.

But to state garbage like saying if we don't sign two of the most high profile players that every club would be bidding for is just fucking ridiculous

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is for 2021 we need to talk to players available from Nov 1 this year otherwise it's too late and they'll be signed elsewhere.
Agreed, but there are only so many talented players to go around, the players mentioned have clubs with access to unlimited TPA's and the NRL turns a blind eye to their salary cap figures! If we want to compete we need to think outside the square, which we are doing by trying to sign overseas talent.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fifita is a luxury signing, yh he looks like an absolute star but we've got other areas that require far more investment than the backrow. Latrell would also be a massive risk at the reported $$$.

Some of you guys are way too invested in having a new shiney toy and going to crazy lengths to try and get that. We defenitely do need some key signings but we need to be smart about it and make sure we're investing in the right areas.

Al that matters is results, a big name or two won't mean shit if we're still sitting outside the 8 next season.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid thread....
If the board doesnt give us a wally lewis clone, peter stearling as our halfback.
And free seasonal tickets for everyone, this board has to go.
We have no rep players......... foran,napa,jmk, jacko, rfm, chn, dwz, hoppa, reimis....should i go on.
Stupid small minded thread. No idea bradtolo.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When Foran was signed, it was generally thought it was a master stroke. Sadly, because of injury, he could not compete.
The talking point was his huge salary. Now people want to pay the same money for Mitchell and Fafita. What if they dont compete.
We are not far off being a top 4 side. We have the players to compete, we have the coach and back up staff.
The addition of a couple of backs would complete the signing for next season.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that the real money will be available for players to come to our club in 2021
My only concern for the future is that we are competitive next season and let’s just say make the top 8
At that point would expect our board to sign maybe 2 marquee players
It’s going to be interesting if we are offering let’s say 200 K over true value and nobody signs
Where do we draw the line on paying overs ?
Can we win a competition in the near future without a few top line champions,not too sure to be honest

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every team has a decent 30 player squad. What would make the difference between being a top 8 team and team genuinely capable of winning a title. Yes the Raiders got close this year but it was the quality of a few stars who won it in the end for the Roosters. Yes there are going to be injuries but if the star signings spend more time on the field than not then good. They're both young fit players (19 and 21) coming into their prime, not older fat lazy rejects unwanted by their clubs like Leilua
It's a good point but pretty sure U can find gf winners at 5-600k each. That is 4 genuine footballers over two maybe game winners. It's is a tough decision but personally I would go the safe bet.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is plenty of talent stuck behind stars at different clubs. To my way of thinking we'd do far better by offering several talented players decent money and the opportunity to establish themselves in the top 17, thus bringing our whole roster to a higher talent level than splurging big money on 1-2 players and maybe still having to rely on duds and having no depth to cover injuries.

The idea that a couple of big names will 'save us' doesn't sit well with me. I've seen plenty of clubs (including ours) fall into this trap. It generally leads to a situation where the salary cap restrictions mean we lose any decent player that has their breakout season.

I won't be upset if we pick up a big name in the spine. But I really hope we make a lot of very smart recruitment decisions rather than throw massive overs at a few stars and hope for the best.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
When Foran was signed, it was generally thought it was a master stroke. Sadly, because of injury, he could not compete.
The talking point was his huge salary. Now people want to pay the same money for Mitchell and Fafita. What if they dont compete.
We are not far off being a top 4 side. We have the players to compete, we have the coach and back up staff.
It absolutely wasn't.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mitchell and Fifita have made a name for themselves on the footy field and are playing the game at a high standard which in turn makes them desirable
Which we all know equals more money
I’m not sure what you mean,if they don’t compete
Our board along with any other club forking out big coin would expect 100% commitment
I would not expect to see a massive form slump or being generally lazy
If they sign with us

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Master stroke? Are you kidding me? Anyone with a half a brain saw and knew it was a dud move from the start due to many reasons.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
In order to prevent another atrocious thread like this from being published I’d like the members of this forum to revisit our lineup from our last Premiership in ‘04.

This team was comprised of our own nurtured talent combined with a handful of quality players who were shrewdly poached from other clubs at the right price without paying overs. Think Willie Tonga, Bobcat, OMeley etc.

If you hadnt noticed, the current regime have spent a lot of time and effort in the past 24 months rebuilding our junior systems and pathways, after a period of neglect Our purchases from other clubs have been quality, young talent at the right price.

Trust the process

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This thread is a beauty. So we change the Board everytime someone on TK is upset because the Board didnt sign who they wanted. Good luck. Only commenting on title thats as far as i got.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In order to prevent another atrocious thread like this from being published I’d like the members of this forum to revisit our lineup from our last Premiership in ‘04.

This team was comprised of our own nurtured talent combined with a handful of quality players who were shrewdly poached from other clubs at the right price without paying overs. Think Willie Tonga, Bobcat, OMeley etc.

If you hadnt noticed, the current regime have spent a lot of time and effort in the past 24 months rebuilding our junior systems and pathways, after a period of neglect Our purchases from other clubs have been quality, young talent at the right price.

Trust the process
Different times and we're not in the same position regarding success/recruitment anymore. We aren't poaching quality players without paying overs. When November hits our philosophy (spending money) will change otherwise it'll be the same old in 2021 too. Without spending money I think the club has done a superb job (not necessarily recruitment but how we've performed) but if we want to be serious it's time to buy some of the best players available which we have the money to do so.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Different times and we're not in the same position regarding success/recruitment anymore. We aren't poaching quality players without paying overs. When November hits our philosophy (spending money) will change otherwise it'll be the same old in 2021 too. Without spending money I think the club has done a superb job (not necessarily recruitment but how we've performed) but if we want to be serious it's time to buy some of the best players available which we have the money to do so.
It’s no different from the success the Storm continue to create to this day. So you can’t say it’s an outdated formula.

They don’t pay overs for established players, and continue to identify the best young talent and develop them through their junior network.

I can count on one hand the amount of quality juniors we’ve produced in the past decade. It’s directly linked to our overall lack of success.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Top 4 ? come on mate lmfao