Board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Fifita was man of the match in Australia's recent win in the 9s. Likely to be picked for the second test team for Australia according to Mal Meninga. In the last 4 games for the Broncos he had a record like close to 40 tackle breaks. He's a freak at just 19 and remember Peter Mullholland probably the best recruitment manager there is said Fifita is the most talented kid he's "ever seen".

Now that Radradra is unaffordable unfortunately following his performances at the rugby world cup we seriously need to do "whatever it takes" to get a couple of young players who are already PROVEN STARS (not maybes) like Fifita and Mitchell.
We have this so called war chest and if we use it to sign rejects from other teams only like Leilua then that's just f..king ridiculous, our management have failed and the board need to go at the next election seriously.

Other teams have "multiple" stars / Australian internationals / current State of Origin players in their teams. Surely we can afford at least 2. If we're going to buy players and if we're going to seriously challenge for a comp we need at least 2 of the very BEST players who are the best in the NRL in their positions and these 2 young players are the BEST BETS to be this quality for a very long time.

Yes I already know the arguments of some saying the Roosters and Broncos will never let these players go and Mitchell isn't consistent and will just have a bludge if we sign him for big dollars, and only spine players are worth that money etc etc etc but the thing is if we believe we have no chance and never go after these players then we're playing right into the hands of the other clubs and we're defeated f..king losers before we even start. MONEY f..king talks ALWAYS !!!!. We need to offer 150-200K more a season than any other club or slightly more if really needed for 4 or 5 year contracts. Play Mitchell at fullback where he can earn his $$$. Play Fifita at lock. Consistency ? Mitchell wants to retire in 10 years. If he wants to maximise his earning potential he'll need to play well enough to be selected in all rep teams and earn the extra dollars (90K for State of Origin). He'll need to play well enough to earn a second big contract in future. Like any player once he becomes mates with the rest of our team he would play for his mates as well as himself just like Napa does. Only 12 month ago Napa was at the Roosters but now after every win his smile is beaming from ear to ear and he obviously enjoys the winning spirit just as much (maybe more) than during his time at the Roosters. No decent player likes playing reserve grade also remember. We also need someone like Mitchell who can kick goals, field goals and can kick LONG in general play to regain field position.

Spine players ? Not really any decent players available until 2022 (Keary and Munster). Are you happy to wait until then ? They'll be well over a MIL each. On his day Foran is close to these 2. If he can stay healthy we could re-sign him on a downgrade in 2021. We're also in a more healthy position than many clubs with 3 decent halves coming through in Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham. JMK is improving at hooker also. Even if we sign Mitchell and Fifita for 900K to a MIL a season we should have enough left over to chase a decent hooker like Grant and a centre like Ramien if we shed a few fringe players like Holland.

The board seem to be looking at bargain buys like rejects from other clubs and UK players at the moment. We need a couple of genuine stars though who can make a break from nothing or can create havoc in broken play. What we don't need is average first graders or just above. I'd rather pay 900K a year for a couple of genuine game breakers than having 4 average first graders at 450K with 2 in first grade and the other 2 playing reserve grade or off the bench.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I completely agree about signing these two for one. Also would love to see grant and Thompson here.

Though I also doubt Fifita gets out of brisbane.

One thing is for sure if we fail to land any true star like these two the board does need to go and should be deemed as a failure.

I’m not saying Leilua type signings aren’t needed to be looked at. They are.

Though with the cap space available anything short of a couple genuine stars is a failure.

I am holding hope they can deliver.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From everything ive heard I have my doubts about us being able to attract big name players anytime soon.. and all this money we have in our salary cap isnt unfortunately going to guarentee any signings..

NRL is a very competitive business.. Our football operations have been described as us being in first gear..

We made a whole heap of football club staff sackings 6 months ago and they havent been adequately replaced..

CAnserson has left and no one has replaced him and his large role yet..

Steve Price has left the board he realised he couldnt contribute..

Few corporates, no third parties, no relationships with player managers, few phone calls, few meetings, few deals being done..

Theyve sent our CEO over to England to identify players and do deals, because we have no else at the club at the moment..

The team is battling hard on the field, but off the field things are slow..

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would rather sign a capable 30 man squad than throw plenty of eggs in one basket. Imagine you sign both for over 2 mil and they both cop serious injuries, Do you sack the board then ? ?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant believe the negative shit posted on here. I believe the club is progressing nicely.
They have not gone full pelt for overpriced (and sometimes under performing) players.
The financial situation wont be fully realised until about 2021. The best approach at the moment is "steady as she goes"
I cant wait for a response from the soccer player.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
David Fifita was man of the match in Australia's recent win in the 9s. Likely to be picked for the second test team for Australia according to Mal Meninga. In the last 4 games for the Broncos he had a record like close to 40 tackle breaks. He's a freak at just 19 and remember Peter Mullholland probably the best recruitment manager there is said Fifita is the most talented kid he's "ever seen".

Now that Radradra is unaffordable unfortunately following his performances at the rugby world cup we seriously need to do "whatever it takes" to get a couple of young players who are already PROVEN STARS (not maybes) like Fifita and Mitchell.
We have this so called war chest and if we use it to sign rejects from other teams only like Leilua then that's just f..king ridiculous, our management have failed and the board need to go at the next election seriously.

Other teams have "multiple" stars / Australian internationals / current State of Origin players in their teams. Surely we can afford at least 2. If we're going to buy players and if we're going to seriously challenge for a comp we need at least 2 of the very BEST players who are the best in the NRL in their positions and these 2 young players are the BEST BETS to be this quality for a very long time.

Yes I already know the arguments of some saying the Roosters and Broncos will never let these players go and Mitchell isn't consistent and will just have a bludge if we sign him for big dollars, and only spine players are worth that money etc etc etc but the thing is if we believe we have no chance and never go after these players then we're playing right into the hands of the other clubs and we're defeated f..king losers before we even start. MONEY f..king talks ALWAYS !!!!. We need to offer 150-200K more a season than any other club or slightly more if really needed for 4 or 5 year contracts. Play Mitchell at fullback where he can earn his $$$. Play Fifita at lock. Consistency ? Mitchell wants to retire in 10 years. If he wants to maximise his earning potential he'll need to play well enough to be selected in all rep teams and earn the extra dollars (90K for State of Origin). He'll need to play well enough to earn a second big contract in future. Like any player once he becomes mates with the rest of our team he would play for his mates as well as himself just like Napa does. Only 12 month ago Napa was at the Roosters but now after every win his smile is beaming from ear to ear and he obviously enjoys the winning spirit just as much (maybe more) than during his time at the Roosters. No decent player likes playing reserve grade also remember. We also need someone like Mitchell who can kick goals, field goals and can kick LONG in general play to regain field position.

Spine players ? Not really any decent players available until 2022 (Keary and Munster). Are you happy to wait until then ? They'll be well over a MIL each. On his day Foran is close to these 2. If he can stay healthy we could re-sign him on a downgrade in 2021. We're also in a more healthy position than many clubs with 3 decent halves coming through in Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham. JMK is improving at hooker also. Even if we sign Mitchell and Fifita for 900K to a MIL a season we should have enough left over to chase a decent hooker like Grant and a centre like Ramien if we shed a few fringe players like Holland.

The board seem to be looking at bargain buys like rejects from other clubs and UK players at the moment. We need a couple of genuine stars though who can make a break from nothing or can create havoc in broken play. What we don't need is average first graders or just above. I'd rather pay 900K a year for a couple of genuine game breakers than having 4 average first graders at 450K with 2 in first grade and the other 2 playing reserve grade or off the bench.
Let me ask you this questiion....would you rather Fifita or Thompson....it’s a no brainer for me....Fifita is the future....but I honestly believe the biggest problem is that we don’t have a high profile coach

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree 100%. If we use up our war chest on signing good enough players than the board has to go! You have the money. No more excuses! Not just one marquee player but 3.

Latrell
Fifita
Xerri

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Let me ask you this questiion....would you rather Fifita or Thompson....it’s a no brainer for me....Fifita is the future....but I honestly believe the biggest problem is that we don’t have a high profile coach
Probably a factor. The relationships with player managers is crucial too it appears nowdays, for middle of the road clubs like us atm.

It's going to take longer than we first thought to consistently compete with Top 4 and have a star roster.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
From everything ive heard I have my doubts about us being able to attract big name players anytime soon.. and all this money we have in our salary cap isnt unfortunately going to guarentee any signings..

NRL is a very competitive business.. Our football operations have been described as us being in first gear..

We made a whole heap of football club staff sackings 6 months ago and they havent been adequately replaced..

CAnserson has left and no one has replaced him and his large role yet..

Steve Price has left the board he realised he couldnt contribute..

Few corporates, no third parties, no relationships with player managers, few phone calls, few meetings, few deals being done..

Theyve sent our CEO over to England to identify players and do deals, because we have no else at the club at the moment..

The team is battling hard on the field, but off the field things are slow..
If true I’m truly concerned.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we sign these guys for $1.3m, they flop, and the same ***** are on here saying “the board has to go” “they signed him” “ they’re responsible”.
Fuck off.
The board will do what’s right, for the club. That’s why they were hired.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would rather sign a capable 30 man squad than throw plenty of eggs in one basket. Imagine you sign both for over 2 mil and they both cop serious injuries, Do you sack the board then ? ?
Every team has a decent 30 player squad. What would make the difference between being a top 8 team and team genuinely capable of winning a title. Yes the Raiders got close this year but it was the quality of a few stars who won it in the end for the Roosters. Yes there are going to be injuries but if the star signings spend more time on the field than not then good. They're both young fit players (19 and 21) coming into their prime, not older fat lazy rejects unwanted by their clubs like Leilua

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Firstly a lot of people on here agree,with having Fifita on board,but how can u say leilua is a dud,aside of Mitchell and manu he was one of the best centres in the league,secondly ramien was offered a contract and refused,and who wants someone with mental demons that he has,to spend over 2 million on 2 players is asking for trouble,and do we really want someone like Mitchell,who doesn't know wether his Arthur or Martha,and likely using us to get a bigger contract at the rooters?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Board needs to go if we don't sign X, Y, and Z?

Get a grip of yourselves idiots. FFS.

#1 there's really only so much power they have in their hands. Any idiot can see we're not the most attractive of clubs atm so we can't just pick and choose which player signs up for us. Surely that's obvious?

#2 How do we know they're the right players for the club? That they match what we're looking for? Woods, T-Rex, Foran etc. etc. we've spent top $ on players and that hasn't panned out to well, has it?

Got absolutely no problem with supporters questioning our direction, no one should follow blindly. I will, and have debated potential signings with many a supporter on here and will continue to do so and will also respect their opinions.

But statements like "the board need to go if Dogs fail to sign elite players like David Fifita / Latrell Mitchell" absolute lunacy and honestly disgust me that a Bulldog supporter is spewing such rubbish.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly a lot of people on here agree,with having Fifita on board,but how can u say leilua is a dud,aside of Mitchell and manu he was one of the best centres in the league,secondly ramien was offered a contract and refused,and who wants someone with mental demons that he has,to spend over 2 million on 2 players is asking for trouble,and do we really want someone like Mitchell,who doesn't know wether his Arthur or Martha,and likely using us to get a bigger contract at the rooters?
Fatso Leilua was not one of the best centres in the NRL this season at all.

Will he be an improvement over Holland and Montoya, yes. But with a deal of 3 x $500k is he going to be value for money, no sure.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we have a reported "war chest" (a few MIL to spend) then that gives plenty of power. The right fit for the club ? Um they're human, young (19yo and 21yo), fit, and in the Australian test team, centre and a middle forward are the areas we can strengthen most and so these are the BEST players available in those positions although I'd move Mitchell to fullback eventually and bring in another good centre like Ramien. There are no decent halves or hookers available on the market. Everybody has known we needed a new hooker for several years but our so called management failed to sign 3 good hookers that were available this year and changed clubs (Robinson, Brailey, Api). Seems we're only interested in chasing bargain basement fire sales (like Leilua) that no one else wants or UK players who have never played NRL before. You might be happy with the performance of Andrew Hill and the board who he reports to but I can't see any reason to vote them back in at the election early next year yet anyway. I'm happy to give Pay next year to prove himself though

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our recruitment had suffered under Hasler and Cleal, to the extent you would think it was jeopardised on purpose, they had so many opportunities but weren't interested!

Our club is playing catch up and is behind the eight ball when it comes to recruitment.... We need to be patient, because if we as fans are not patient we're going to be always disappointed.

Good things come to those who wait, give them time, they will come good....

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When we have a reported "war chest" (a few MIL to spend) then that gives plenty of power. The right fit for the club ? Um they're human, young (19yo and 21yo), fit, and in the Australian test team, centre and a middle forward are the areas we can strengthen most and so these are the BEST players available in those positions. There are no decent halves or hookers available on the market. Everybody has known we needed a new hooker for several years but our so called management failed to sign 3 good hookers that were available this year and changed clubs (Robinson, Brailey, Api). Seems we're only interested in chasing bargain basement fire sales (like Leilua) that no one else wants or UK players who have never played NRL before. You might be happy with the performance of Andrew Hill and the board who he reports to but I can't see any reason to vote them back in at the election early next year yet anyway. I'm happy with Pay though.
Wow. You lost any credit to me with the whole Hill and the board haven't done anything but I'm happy with Pay thing ...

You've got your opinion mate. Just don't think you need to be so negative about the whole way you're speaking. You're owning it though ... good for you.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our recruitment had suffered under Hasler and Cleal, to the extent you would think it was jeopardised on purpose, they had so many opportunities but weren't interested!

Our club is playing catch up and is behind the eight ball when it comes to recruitment.... We need to be patient, because if we as fans are not patient we're going to be always disappointed.

Good things come to those who wait, give them time, they will come good....
Thing is for 2021 we need to talk to players available from Nov 1 this year otherwise it's too late and they'll be signed elsewhere.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. You lost any credit to me with the whole Hill and the board haven't done anything but I'm happy with Pay thing ...

You've got your opinion mate. Just don't think you need to be so negative about the whole way you're speaking. You're owning it though ... good for you.
Cheers. I was dead set against keeping Pay and was calling for him to be sacked just like everyone else. I wanted us to sign Holbrook but late in the season when we started to defend really well and won those games against higher teams it changed my opinion. There's a lack of good coaches available also. Pay seems to be getting the best out of the players now so happy for him to be given his chance to show improvement next year now. If we get off to a bad start though again the knives will be out. Don't worry.