Opinion Build the club around DWZ

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd extend him for a year as quality utility back, but I hope his future is on the wing. As you said, we still get the kick returns and strong dummy half runs but, even next year, Hoppa is far more creative and Meaney with his speed could be better running off Renouf and RFM through the middle (if he could just learn how to do that 'Fullback 101' manoeuvre).

Still, I'm sure DWZ will play FB in 2020 and Meaney will continue to train and play as a winger.
He needs to be kept though. We must find a place for him, he’s inspirational for us

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He needs to be kept though. We must find a place for him, he’s inspirational for us
If DWZ isn't Fullback we'll have either a Wing or Centre spot (depending on who/where we recruit). I don't think having a place for DWZ is the issue, the issue will be if DWZ wants/has to play Fullback. I'm also starting to get a bit confused why we haven't resigned a lot of our key players.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Meaney get another go at FB... Dallin can play various positions and despite Meaney having a pretty solid season, Not sure if I could imagine him as a long term winger

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see Meaney get another go at FB... Dallin can play various positions and despite Meaney having a pretty solid season, Not sure if I could imagine him as a long term winger
I think Meaney would make a decent centre, he is so light on his feet and would've developed some quick hands having played fullback. Still though he is valuable for us right now as a goalkicker and on a cheap contract, very handy player to have in the squad.

I like DWZ on the wing mainly due to his strong kick returns and he is an awesome finisher.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Meaney would make a decent centre, he is so light on his feet and would've developed some quick hands having played fullback. Still though he is valuable for us right now as a goalkicker and on a cheap contract, very handy player to have in the squad.

I like DWZ on the wing mainly due to his strong kick returns and he is an awesome finisher.
Yeah for sure... Meaney would just have to bulk up a bit I think.. but one thing I have noticed is that he knows how to use his body... he's good at getting himself to ground and not allowing the bigger defenders to man-handle him... good work rate and very good under the high ball

Yeah... DWZ plays that Fergo type of role...I do like him at fullback due to how good he is at organising the defence though.. Will be interesting to see what Dean does over the next couple of seasons

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney shouldn't be in first grade for another 1-2 yrs until his put on a minimum 5 kg.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't build your club around any one player these days because they may not be there next season

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Great guy great player but I want to see him develop a passing game.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He came in through half the season and played well, maybe this year after a full preseason he will have silky hands.

Malla

Reaction score
He can play his part going forward but I wouldn’t build the club around him. He’s a hard running fullback not a half or hooker.
I think it is more to do with his attitude and personality than anything else. Good character to build the club around. Can definitely become a co-captain of the club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it is more to do with his attitude and personality than anything else. Good character to build the club around. Can definitely become a co-captain of the club.
I guess it’s just different opinions on what people build around. In my opinion it’s a player that you just cannot afford to lose and while DWZ is a good player he isn’t irreplaceable. At the minute we don’t have anyone thats irreplaceable.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I guess it’s just different opinions on what people build around. In my opinion it’s a player that you just cannot afford to lose and while DWZ is a good player he isn’t irreplaceable. At the minute we don’t have anyone thats irreplaceable.
I see him irreplaceable in our current situation but once we are back to normal he’s not. I am very happy we signed him

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If it is true that DWZ moving to fullback tightened up the defense, than it is hard to move him from there. We won the second half of our season (weren't we something like 4th best team) because we stopped leaking points.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s just build it. Surprisingly we have some good names an big players if you look at it as a whole. We could be a lot worse off, the thing we need to look at is it seems the board has the right intentions for the club.

and once it all clicks we will be very successful once again, the wait shouldn’t be too much longer..!! We have been down a while an the luck will change as the tide turns. 2020 should be the start of good things to come.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah for sure... Meaney would just have to bulk up a bit I think.. but one thing I have noticed is that he knows how to use his body... he's good at getting himself to ground and not allowing the bigger defenders to man-handle him... good work rate and very good under the high ball

Yeah... DWZ plays that Fergo type of role...I do like him at fullback due to how good he is at organising the defence though.. Will be interesting to see what Dean does over the next couple of seasons
We need a goal kicker I prefer Okunbor over Meaney

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Off course resign him. DWZ loves our club. I dont care where he plays its his passion for the blue and white our team i like. Some seem to forget the difference he made to our team when he arrived in such a short time. A full season with us will see the best from DWZ. Rebuilding a team around him not sure but he will be part of it

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a goal kicker I prefer Okunbor over Meaney
I would have Okunbor and Dallin on the wings, R Smith center, Meaney FB... Okunbor actually plays his best football in the top grade ironically