Dogs want to sign Joey Leilua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, can see what you're saying but I just don't think it's realistic considering the position we're in as a club.

We can't attract top players. Full stop. We're unable to offer them a realistic shot at winning the comp, and won't be able to 'sell' that attraction until we're at least getting into the top 8. We're not going to pay top dollar simply because that's what got us into the shit in the first place. Buying players who were simply looking for a bigger contract rather than playing for the team.

The Dogs have plastered it everywhere. We need players with Blue & White blood. We want players that want us. Or need us.

That means no top talent. Sorry. It's as simple as that. We're looking in the bargain shop for damaged goods that can be polished and maybe turned into something decent. Even top jnior talent.

Ramien, a young player many on here were harping on about for a long time, turned us down to go to the Knights. Kicked up a storm there, actively went behind hte club's back for a get out. Underperformed. Wasn't happy. But we went for him. And missed out. Gone to Cronulla for more money, better chance at premiership whatever.

Api. No future at the Warriors. Seemed like he was signed, sealed, and delivered. Went to the Panthers for more money.

We can't attract mediocre players that have potential to become good. Why does everyone think we can and should only target the best?

BJ is our level of player. Simple. Get him for 400,000 and it's a steal. He'll help us get top 8 at the very least and then we'll be in a much better position to target bigger and better players in 2021.

This whole we can't attract players is a load of crap... even the top teams (bar Roosters) miss out from time to time... Napa DWZ CHN were all better pickups than the players we have missed.. and you don't always know which players we do actually make a play for, unless the clubs confirms it... can't always trust media/managers for that information.

Ramien is super overrated... I don't get the hype around this guy.

Api had a good season but is a bit of a hit n miss

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah, can see what you're saying but I just don't think it's realistic considering the position we're in as a club.

We can't attract top players. Full stop. We're unable to offer them a realistic shot at winning the comp, and won't be able to 'sell' that attraction until we're at least getting into the top 8. We're not going to pay top dollar simply because that's what got us into the shit in the first place. Buying players who were simply looking for a bigger contract rather than playing for the team.

The Dogs have plastered it everywhere. We need players with Blue & White blood. We want players that want us. Or need us.

That means no top talent. Sorry. It's as simple as that. We're looking in the bargain shop for damaged goods that can be polished and maybe turned into something decent. Even top jnior talent.

Ramien, a young player many on here were harping on about for a long time, turned us down to go to the Knights. Kicked up a storm there, actively went behind hte club's back for a get out. Underperformed. Wasn't happy. But we went for him. And missed out. Gone to Cronulla for more money, better chance at premiership whatever.

Api. No future at the Warriors. Seemed like he was signed, sealed, and delivered. Went to the Panthers for more money.

We can't attract mediocre players that have potential to become good. Why does everyone think we can and should only target the best?

BJ is our level of player. Simple. Get him for 400,000 and it's a steal. He'll help us get top 8 at the very least and then we'll be in a much better position to target bigger and better players in 2021.
2 ways to attract top players. 1: results, 2: money. We have money therefor we can attract players.

The reason we're in this situation is because we misjudged the salary cap growth and back ended contracts (bad club management). Not because we payed "top dollar".

We have to make sure we're buying the right players. Just because someones takes more money doesn't mean they lose their competitive drive. We need to recruit those players (I wouldn't sign him, but Jake Trbojevic for e.g.)

"We need players with Blue & White blood." I'm sure there is some truth to this but I think this is just a smokescreen to trick fans (also other players, clubs, etc.) that players we've missed out on wasn't for my first point.

Ramien and Koroisau would of been both great buys. The reason they went to other clubs is because of my first point again (in Koroisau's case both results and money).

400k for Leilua is what I think he's worth. If we're able to get him for that then that means we were the only club interested or that could fit him in (similar to DWZ, which was a miracle, mid season signing definitely helped). The problem is it's looking a bit more towards the 500k side which considering our situation is expected.

Lastly Leilua's signing doesn't matter in regards to 2021 recruitment. The majority of our 2021 recruitment should be completed between this November and the start of next season. Otherwise all our "targets" will not be available anymore (e.g. resigned with current club, signing for another club, etc.) Unless we think Leilua on name value (he isn't, a marquee player is) is enough to attract other talent then it's not needed for that reason. If the club wanted to make a statement come November they'll sign Latrell (or another marquee player) followed by other signings. That's how it works, not the other way around. We also need to set strict deadlines otherwise we're going to get played in the market.

Last edited:

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so fucking what... he will also be taking more money than them combined.... if you're going to spend money, spend it right
What a dumb fucken comment... he’s more expensive cause he’s better then both of them put together... idiot

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a dumb fucken comment... he’s more expensive cause he’s better then both of them put together... idiot

How's it a dumb comment dickhead my point was that if we're going to spend decent coin, spend it right... or did you miss that bit? those guys are already on our books unfortunately

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's it a dumb comment dickhead my point was that if we're going to spend decent coin, spend it right... or did you miss that bit? those guys are already on our books unfortunately
You lost me with your first comment... buzz off

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if he was on the cheap and on a 1 year deal he’d have a chance to prove if he has the illusive bulldogs DNA. We can only buy whoever wants to come to the bulldogs regardless of how much we have available. I’m hoping we pickup someone of better quality unless this is just a stop gap

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think if he was on the cheap and on a 1 year deal he’d have a chance to prove if he has the illusive bulldogs DNA. We can only buy whoever wants to come to the bulldogs regardless of how much we have available. I’m hoping we pickup someone of better quality unless this is just a stop gap
We'd want two years but I think Leilua and his management would be able to push it to three. It's really rare (almost non existent?) to see a player sign a one year contract around Leilua's level or above.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We'd want two years but I think Leilua and his management would be able to push it to three. It's really rare (almost non existent?) to see a player sign a one year contract around Leilua's level or above.
Yeah. Don't get why anyone is talking about any player signing on for only a year. Not going to happen.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah. Don't get why anyone is talking about any player signing on for only a year. Not going to happen.
Happened with DWZ. As much as I don't want Blowjob I wouldn't complain for a year.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Did I hear wrong yesterday? Has BJ officially signed with us? One of the duds on fox mentioned something quickly.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Just roll the dice.. it’s not that big of a gamble considering the position we will be in with so many off contract and cap space next year. The potential upside is worth the small risk paying $400-$500. Once he is in blue and White tearing it up everyone will be happy. Except for the odd absolute negative **** in here.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just roll the dice.. it’s not that big of a gamble considering the position we will be in with so many off contract and cap space next year. The potential upside is worth the small risk paying $400-$500. Once he is in blue and White tearing it up everyone will be happy. Except for the odd absolute negative **** in here.
Prefer 2 years but when it's all said and done...this ^

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant believe we are about to sign an inconsistent injury riddled moron with the dumbest footy nous who decided to call himself blow job.

Enjoy watching this guy run around in Ccup considering this guys work ethic definitely aint on par with the culture being throw around at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.