News Roosters set to shed stars but huge cost puts Canterbury off Latrell Mitchell

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't want our club to pay a million for any player that isn't in the spine, touching the ball at least once per set of 6. If we're shopping for centres I'd be looking at 22-23yo guns that haven't quite managed to get past established quality at other clubs. Maybe for $500k each we could fill two centre positions with players that would be appreciative of their promotions.

These types of threads annoy me anyway. I don't give a shit about our 2021 signings yet. It isn't even pre-season for 2020 yet. In a years time a lot of players can show their worth.

It seems to me that Mitchell isn't terribly motivated. The time will come when he's got to work on overcoming injuries and wear and tear to keep himself among the elite players. Sounds like he plans to coast through his career a bit. Like someone else mentioned, it reminds me of Hayne a lot. I hate to think that we'd get him on a long term contract and see him go into preservation mode while we were paying him big money.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Mitchells lazy, gone off him big time. would prefer manu at this point

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only way we or any other team gets their hands on Roosters players is if "uncle Nick" doesn't want them, period.
Not because we don't have the financial powers
It's because Uncle SHIT is allowed to RORT the system
He runs the National Rorting League :rage::rage::rage:
His friends News Ltd and Nine Networks back up his BULLSHIT :rage::rage::rage:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not because we don't have the financial powers
It's because Uncle SHIT is allowed to RORT the system
He runs the National Rorting League :rage::rage::rage:
His friends News Ltd and Nine Networks back up his BULLSHIT :rage::rage::rage:
Exactly, and not only does he keep the players he wants, but he will destroy other teams roster to make sure they fuck up by offering their best players large amounts of money.... Just like he did with our premiership team.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a team throw a huge number at JWH... even if it isn't us.... Roosters may have all the talent but where they have become really dominant is in the middle, which makes sense as to why their win percentage goes down significantly when Jared doesn't play.. the other forwards get on the back of what he does as well... but while they have both the skill and the power game, they should win at least a couple more premierships over the next 5 years

Belmore'sFinest

Waterboy
Reaction score
As i kid I ran around the front yard pretending to pass the ball like Terry Lamb, now kids are prentending they are Latrell along with his foot work, fend and goal kicking. He is a great role model for them and I would love to see Latrell in Canterbury colours.

If only we had kept Moses Suli and had both playing in the centres

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to see a team throw a huge number at JWH... even if it isn't us.... Roosters may have all the talent but where they have become really dominant is in the middle, which makes sense as to why their win percentage goes down significantly when Jared doesn't play.. the other forwards get on the back of what he does as well... but while they have both the skill and the power game, they should win at least a couple more premierships over the next 5 years
So would I but all that would mean is that they would shed one player and probably pickup two other marquee forwards in his place. Creative accounting!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So would I but all that would mean is that they would shed one player and probably pickup two other marquee forwards in his place. Creative accounting!

except there aren't many players in the modern game like him.. Unless they could steal big Marti Tapau or Fonua Blake... take a few mongrels out of the Roosters and they are very beatable.

Banned
Reaction score
As i kid I ran around the front yard pretending to pass the ball like Terry Lamb, now kids are prentending they are Latrell along with his foot work, fend and goal kicking. He is a great role model for them and I would love to see Latrell in Canterbury colours.

If only we had kept Moses Suli and had both playing in the centres
Problem is, who desires role models that give off a slacker vibe?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Latrell might be seeking an upgrade at roosters from Cronks money, and speculation he could move is good for his chance to achieve that. I fully expect them to keep him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Latrell might be seeking an upgrade at roosters from Cronks money, and speculation he could move is good for his chance to achieve that. I fully expect them to keep him.
Roosters are known to pay 100k under a players value. Latrell is worth 700k. I can't see the Roosters giving Latrell anymore then 800k and even that is unlikely. Roosters can't compete with 1m offers (they could but it isn't what they do or are about and they wouldn't have the team they currently do if that was the case).

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not convinced Latrell would be as good for us as he is for Roosters (when hes not MIA). Playing for us he would be targetted as being the most dangerous person in our team, and that doesnt happen at Roosters because Tedesco and Keary are more dangerous. Not saying he would be shit for us, but may not be worth the money.
If we also have say David Fifita plus a centre like Ramien or Leilua along with Foran, CHN, even Cogger opposition teams can't just single out Mitchell as all these players are a serious threat close to the tryline and like someone else said here, if opposition teams focus on Mitchell mainly then that gives more room to our other players

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manu is an absolute Fucking gun. I’d take him and semi ASAP! That said I don’t think he will get away and we will just have to settle for semi and latrell.

Could you imagine. 2021 backline.

Dwz
Semi
Latrell
Smith and he can play centre or wing and either hoppa on a lot less or okunbor or Meaney outside Smith.

Fuck me I would absolutely jizz my pants.

I’d be a good sport and give one to Lynne!
If 4 of our back 5 is Dwz semi latrell and remis in 2021 I’ll go to the honey pot!
I was hoping for Semi and Mitchell also (along with David Fifita) after there were reports Semi was talking to the Dogs at a price of 800K a season (which some on here thought was too much for a winger) but after the rugby World Cup, Semi could probably attract offers from European rugby clubs for between $1-2M a season which some of the elite rugby players are on now. Remember Folau was on over $2M a season. Semi was virtually player of the tournament and looks like he's improved his skills (passing skills, lines he runs) considerably even from his Parra days when he was virtually unstoppable at times then. I now think our priorities should be Mitchell (most capable young back available for 2021 at creating something from nothing or further promoting a line break) and David Fifita (most capable young forward available for 2021 at creating a linebreak / tackle break from nothing). In his last 4 games for the Broncos Fifita busted a record close to 40 tackle breaks. We should also play Mitchell as a fullback. He's close to Tedesco in ability. After Mitchell and Fifita I really believe we could still afford a decent centre on about 500K a year like Ramien or Leilua. If we keep Foran after 2021 (and if there's no new emerging halves before then and he's still playing as he is now) I believe he will be downgraded to around 750K a year which is still decent coin but considerably less than the 1.2M he's reportedly getting from us in 2020. No-one's gonna pay more than that for him from 2021 no matter how well he's playing because he'll always still be an injury risk. By then Cogger, Lewis, and Wakeham should be much better players also.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that think LM will turn up for us if signed to us, are kidding themselves.
What's his motivation to do so?
If he wants to retire in 10 year like he says then surely he'd want to play consistently enough to always be selected in rep teams. State of Origin players get about 90K in addition to their club salaries. Unsure how much extra they get for test matches but would be tens of thousands also obviously. Also if we signed him for 5 years only and not 10 then he'd also have the motivation of needing to play consistently well to get a second big contract 5 years down the track in future. If future employers know he has a track record of only playing well when it's contract time that would reduce his potential earnings. Just like any other player, once he became part of our team and became mates with everyone he's gonna want to play for them as well as himself. No-one likes playing reserve grade no matter how much they're getting paid. Only 12 months ago Napa was at the Roosters. After every game we win Napa now has a beaming smile from ear to ear. He's just as happy (maybe happier) as he was at the Roosters

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Would like butcher and either manu or trell.

Wouldn’t knock tetevano for 2020