Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...-squeeze-star-centre-out-20191016-p531dn.html

Joseph Leilua could make a shock switch to Canterbury after being told he is free to leave Canberra despite having another year on his contract.

Leilua and three-quarter partner Jordan Rapana have been an integral part of the Green Machine in recent seasons, but their "Leipana" partnership is set to end. Rapana will return to rugby with Japanese franchise Panasonic Wild Knights, but he is open to it being a short stint that will allow him to return to the NRL.

Leilua is also set to depart the nation's capital as the club attempts to free up salary space in a bid to retain the nucleus of the side that made the grand final. The Bulldogs are prepared to table a deal of about $500,000 a season for up to three years in order to lure him to Belmore.

Leilua conceded he may have played his last game for the Raiders.

"For me it's about looking after my family, doing what's best for them," Leilua said. "If they want us to leave, I'll have to settle something there. I will probably miss the boys and the club the most, the fans, if I do leave. You have to understand it's a business, how it works. You can't keep the best team always together, that's why Melbourne always let go of their players when they are performing at the club. That's the way it goes."

The 27-year-old, part of the Samoan squad for the World Nines, feels he has plenty of good football left in him.

"My number one goal is to win a comp with a good team, that's all I want to do," he said. "If they need people to go, that's part of the work, we have to go. I can't complain, I just have to make the best decision for me and my family.

"It's hard but that's how it goes."

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart and Canterbury counterpart Dean Pay are close friends, having played and coached together. They are keen to come up with an outcome that is beneficial to all parties.

However, Leilua and Rapana are unlikely to be the last Raiders to depart in the off season. Halfback Aidan Sezer is expected to shift to the Super League, to be replaced by an Englishman keen to test himself in the NRL.

Incoming half George Williams will become the fifth Englishman on the Raiders' books when he presents for pre-season training. The Wigan playmaker grew up idolising Trent Barrett and will get a chance to make his own mark in the NRL.

"Trent Barrett was a massive one because he came to Wigan when I was a young lad," Williams said. "He was playing stand-off, where I was playing at that age. He was my idol at the time and I managed to meet him a couple of years later, it was pretty cool."

England coach Wayne Bennett believes Williams will be a success in the NRL.

"He's a very gifted player, he's got all of the skills," Bennett said. "He's a good decision-maker, good with the ball in his hands. He's a good pick up for the Raiders."

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...-squeeze-star-centre-out-20191016-p531dn.html

Joseph Leilua could make a shock switch to Canterbury after being told he is free to leave Canberra despite having another year on his contract.

Leilua and three-quarter partner Jordan Rapana have been an integral part of the Green Machine in recent seasons, but their "Leipana" partnership is set to end. Rapana will return to rugby with Japanese franchise Panasonic Wild Knights, but he is open to it being a short stint that will allow him to return to the NRL.

Leilua is also set to depart the nation's capital as the club attempts to free up salary space in a bid to retain the nucleus of the side that made the grand final. The Bulldogs are prepared to table a deal of about $500,000 a season for up to three years in order to lure him to Belmore.

Leilua conceded he may have played his last game for the Raiders.

"For me it's about looking after my family, doing what's best for them," Leilua said. "If they want us to leave, I'll have to settle something there. I will probably miss the boys and the club the most, the fans, if I do leave. You have to understand it's a business, how it works. You can't keep the best team always together, that's why Melbourne always let go of their players when they are performing at the club. That's the way it goes."

The 27-year-old, part of the Samoan squad for the World Nines, feels he has plenty of good football left in him.

"My number one goal is to win a comp with a good team, that's all I want to do," he said. "If they need people to go, that's part of the work, we have to go. I can't complain, I just have to make the best decision for me and my family.

"It's hard but that's how it goes."

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart and Canterbury counterpart Dean Pay are close friends, having played and coached together. They are keen to come up with an outcome that is beneficial to all parties.

However, Leilua and Rapana are unlikely to be the last Raiders to depart in the off season. Halfback Aidan Sezer is expected to shift to the Super League, to be replaced by an Englishman keen to test himself in the NRL.

Incoming half George Williams will become the fifth Englishman on the Raiders' books when he presents for pre-season training. The Wigan playmaker grew up idolising Trent Barrett and will get a chance to make his own mark in the NRL.

"Trent Barrett was a massive one because he came to Wigan when I was a young lad," Williams said. "He was playing stand-off, where I was playing at that age. He was my idol at the time and I managed to meet him a couple of years later, it was pretty cool."

England coach Wayne Bennett believes Williams will be a success in the NRL.

"He's a very gifted player, he's got all of the skills," Bennett said. "He's a good decision-maker, good with the ball in his hands. He's a good pick up for the Raiders."

Tell me this is a bad dream

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we sign Leilua that proves Pay is a dud coach and can't attract the right players

NAPA CHN and Dallin were good signings, Meaney had a solid season given his limited NRL experience/ playing out of position, Cogger was improving by the week..... I just..... nahh man this is not it

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would sign Leilua for sure he has x factor something we seriously lack , 400 000 thousand would be a fair price and 2 year deal not 3

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id rather curtis scott or justin olam tbh, but to be fair bj goes allright and is a massive improvement on out current options, a few good pickups allready for 2020 including bj, and we are on the up ready to show other players 2021 will be huge for us, wouldnt be surprised if we grab bjs bro from the dragons in 2021.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Those figures are higher than I’ve heard and don’t forget Canberra would chip in too. If we sign him on the cheap I’m still not thrilled about it but it’s an improvement to what we currently have

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No doubt he will create opportunities with his ability to push offloads late in the tackle plus he has the ability to get on the outside of his opponent and create space for his winger, he will combine well with Reimis. Only issue I have with him is his defence and discipline.... Every time I watch him play he has that permanent look on his face like he's angry or pissed off... not sure if that's his normal resting face or he's trying to intimidate his opponent....plays like he has a chip on his shoulder...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hard one this. Absolutely no doubt we need a centre signing. We can talk about putting the youngsters in there, but one never knows how they'll perform so that's a massive risk.

At the same time .... my concern in this is that success is routine. You don't become the best by turning it on and off, sometimes turning up other times not, taking it easy in trainings. For me success something which you need to live and breathe and my concern with BJ is that he clearly doesn't have the mentality or attitude to do this. Will changing clubs help him change bad habits? Lets be honest ... it's doubful because how many players actually change clubs and change their bad training habits etc?

But .... he definitely has some skill there. That can't be argued. IS he first, second, or even third pick? Perhaps not. But at the same time we need to be realistic and understand we're not going to be able to attract the first, second, or third pick unless we throw silly money which is what got us into shit in the first place so we won't be doing that. Or having a roster & coach that'll get you to the final in the coming years. And we don't have that either.

Beggers can't be choosers guys. Simple as that.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Glad he is playing 9s. If we do get him at least he should be a bit fitter. 9s then straight into preseason.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wheres theres smoke theres fire alot of smoke atm this seems to be happening,he is very powerful just needs to learn to draw and pass and not get personal with the other centre

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have cash to spend in 21 ,quality is coming,we nerd to make some big calls on players too,tolman and elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.