News NRL grand final to stay in Sydney

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ridiculous decision in my opinion. I hate the idea of the SCG for such an important Rugby League match.

NRL grand final to stay in Sydney
Adrian Proszenko
October 16, 2019 — 3.05pm
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

The NRL grand final won’t be leaving Sydney after the NSW Government stumped up a $12 million compensation package to keep the event in the Harbour City.

The decider will be staged at the Sydney Cricket Ground for the next two years while ANZ and Allianz Stadiums are unavailable due to upgrades. The NRL had agreed to host the 2020 grand final at the SCG, but wanted compensation from the government for the reduced earnings that would result from staging the event there for a second consecutive year.

The NRL grand final will remain in Sydney.Credit:AAP

Delays in delivering Sydney’s new stadium network had raised the possibility of the grand final leaving Sydney for the first time. There was a possibility Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth could have poached the showpiece event despite an NRL-NSW government agreement to keep it in the state until 2042.

In order to keep the grand final in Sydney, the government had to make up the difference in lost gate takings resulting from holding the game at the smaller venue two years in a row. The SCG’s capacity is about 45,000 - about 35,000 less than ANZ - and the NRL didn’t want to be left out of pocket two years in a row because it has less tickets to sell.

Negotiations had been complicated after NSW Sports Minister John Sidoti stood down pending an ICAC inquiry into his property dealings. However, the parties finally came to a resolution that is expected to be officially announced later on Wednesday.

MORE TO COME

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i think it was a good opportunity to move at least one to Brisbane - even if to shut up my whining co-workers.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Suncorp Stadium is the best Rugby League ground in Australia and as a result should be hosting the best Rugby League game of the year for the next 2 years.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Suncorp Stadium is the best Rugby League ground in Australia and as a result should be hosting the best Rugby League game of the year for the next 2 years.
Great ground, but the 5 people you fit in there doesn’t cut the mustard

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Suncorp, SCG, both are fine as far as I'm concerned, I'm just glad we didn't move it to Melbourne!

All in all though, I do like tradition so returning the GF to the SCG like they had for all those years earlier, including the same location where we had that memorable win about the chooks in 1980, is fine in my opinion :grinning:

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL looking after the Roosters again, no doubt uncle Nick played his part. :sweatsmile:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will be an advantage for us when we play Melbourne or Canberra in the GF next year.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Where the GF is played is insignificant. Which clubs the corrupt NRL will gift into the GF is the main point of interest.

Fuck QLD, the NRL should of announced it was going to hold the GF outside of Sydney, all Qlder's would've boned-up thinking they were gonna get it..... .. and then it is held in Perth or Adelaide instead just to shove it up the two-headed mongrels.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Where the GF is played is insignificant. Which clubs the corrupt NRL will gift into the GF is the main point of interest.

Fuck QLD, the NRL should of announced it was going to hold the GF outside of Sydney, all Qlder's would've boned-up thinking they were gonna get it..... .. and then it is held in Perth or Adelaide instead just to shove it up the two-headed mongrels.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Now THAT would've been epic.

Optus Stadium (Perth) actually has a capacity of 65,000 for rectangle sports, meaning it can hold more than Suncorp!