News Canterbury boss chases two English Super League stars

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just over a week after four Englishmen almost a secured a premiership miracle for Canberra, Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill has secretly flown to Britain to start top-level negotiations with two star Super League front-rowers.

Hill is in St Helens, who beat Salford in last weekend’s Super League grand final, to speak with props Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley.

Walmsley, 29, and Thompson, 24, have played for England and will represent Great Britain in the four southern hemisphere Tests against New Zealand, Tonga and PNG, which start this month.

Hill’s move continues a new trend of clubs nailing down their playing rosters up to three years in advance.

Thompson and Walmsley are under contract at St Helens for next season so could only shift to the NRL in 2021 at the earliest.

Canberra have enjoyed amazing success since coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Don Furner starting targeting Super League players two years ago.

Bulldogs management wouldn’t confirm Hill was overseas but he was spotted in Merseyside on Tuesday.

Canterbury stalwart Aiden Tolman is off contract at Belmore after next season and fellow prop Dylan Napa a year later.

Alex Walmsley‘s sheer size could make him an NRL hit. Photo: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Walmsley and Thompson performed brilliantly in the Super League grand final to set up Saints’ 23-6 win at Old Trafford.

Hill, who is due back in Australia on Thursday, could not be contacted in England but around six NRL cubs have shown some interest in Thompson, who is regarded as the best young front-rower in England.

It is unknown whether Hill would target one or both St Helens props.

Having made his Super League debut in 2013, Walmsley is 196cm tall and weighs 115kg — a physical monster.

Walmsley made his Super League debut in 2013 when Australian coach Nathan Brown was in charge at St Helens. He helped Saints to a title the following year.

Joe Stimson will be at Belmore in 2020. Photo: Kelly Defina/Getty Images
Two years ago, Walmsley showed interest in a move to Australia when he said: “As a player, I want to play with the best and do the best I can. Whether that’s in Super League or elsewhere, that’s yet to be decided.”

Thompson was linked with South Sydney earlier this season.

One coach said all clubs were “going hard” for 2021, not next season.

“Everyone is talking about how active clubs are right now in recruitment for 2021,” he said. “We have only just finished the 2019 season.

“In the old days, you worried about now and next year. Now clubs are searching and signing players two, three, even four years in advance.”

Canterbury have signed Joe Stimson (Melbourne), Dean Britt (Souths) and Sione Katoa (Penrith) for next season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/38372ca69e3d6b33f1d13113ce1a23d6

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thompson would be a decent signing, Walmsley would be 31 by the time he plays for us if we signed him and probably not worth the investment.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Unless they got released.

Be nice to have

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At least the club is being proactive and making some plays. Or trying to.!! Good too see this happening, even if it it comes to anything..!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just over a week after four Englishmen almost a secured a premiership miracle for Canberra, Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill has secretly flown to Britain to start top-level negotiations with two star Super League front-rowers.

Hill is in St Helens, who beat Salford in last weekend’s Super League grand final, to speak with props Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley.

Walmsley, 29, and Thompson, 24, have played for England and will represent Great Britain in the four southern hemisphere Tests against New Zealand, Tonga and PNG, which start this month.

Hill’s move continues a new trend of clubs nailing down their playing rosters up to three years in advance.

Thompson and Walmsley are under contract at St Helens for next season so could only shift to the NRL in 2021 at the earliest.

Canberra have enjoyed amazing success since coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Don Furner starting targeting Super League players two years ago.

Bulldogs management wouldn’t confirm Hill was overseas but he was spotted in Merseyside on Tuesday.

Canterbury stalwart Aiden Tolman is off contract at Belmore after next season and fellow prop Dylan Napa a year later.

Alex Walmsley‘s sheer size could make him an NRL hit. Photo: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images
Walmsley and Thompson performed brilliantly in the Super League grand final to set up Saints’ 23-6 win at Old Trafford.

Hill, who is due back in Australia on Thursday, could not be contacted in England but around six NRL cubs have shown some interest in Thompson, who is regarded as the best young front-rower in England.

It is unknown whether Hill would target one or both St Helens props.

Having made his Super League debut in 2013, Walmsley is 196cm tall and weighs 115kg — a physical monster.

Walmsley made his Super League debut in 2013 when Australian coach Nathan Brown was in charge at St Helens. He helped Saints to a title the following year.

Joe Stimson will be at Belmore in 2020. Photo: Kelly Defina/Getty Images
Two years ago, Walmsley showed interest in a move to Australia when he said: “As a player, I want to play with the best and do the best I can. Whether that’s in Super League or elsewhere, that’s yet to be decided.”

Thompson was linked with South Sydney earlier this season.

One coach said all clubs were “going hard” for 2021, not next season.

“Everyone is talking about how active clubs are right now in recruitment for 2021,” he said. “We have only just finished the 2019 season.

“In the old days, you worried about now and next year. Now clubs are searching and signing players two, three, even four years in advance.”

Canterbury have signed Joe Stimson (Melbourne), Dean Britt (Souths) and Sione Katoa (Penrith) for next season.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/38372ca69e3d6b33f1d13113ce1a23d6
Fuck I'd bust a nut if we got both those lads.... would have been so much easier to get them if our board had the stones to punt Pay and sign Holbrook

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck I'd bust a nut if we got both those lads.... would have been so much easier to get them if our board had the stones to punt Pay and sign Holbrook
There must be something going on this is the second time Hill has gone over there in the last few months.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also rumours going around today that Thompson is likely to sign with the Tigers so yeah who knows

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll spell it out. He wasn't there to sound out Holbrook. We had no interest in signing Holbrook.

He was there for recruitment purposes. We're very keen on Luke Thompson and Alex Walmsley, whilst there's a couple more English players on the radar to a lesser extent. These players and their management were the one's being sounded out.

I'll just leave this here.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think targeting overseas players is a great idea as it pretty much eliminates a players preference of a Sydney club based on geographical location out of the equation. A major reason for Canberra’s recent success!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I rate English forwards.... If only they could manufacture quality backs...

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thompson will do. I don't know about signing a 29 year old.
I’d have no isssue with Walmsley on a 2-3 year deal. Quality props still do some of their best work at 30-33.

Just have a look at some past dogs players for example like Steve Price (Played Origin/Tests til 35yrs old), James Graham (played with us to a high standard at 32/33yrs), even Aiden Tolman is playing some of his best footy for us at 31yrs this year.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I rate English forwards.... If only they could manufacture quality backs...
They can, a lot of the best just didn't come out here in their prime. Don't fall for Tomkins and Sarginson failing.
I’d have no isssue with Walmsley on a 2-3 year deal. Quality props still do some of their best work at 30-33.

Just have a look at some past dogs players for example like Steve Price (Played Origin/Tests til 35yrs old), James Graham (played with us to a high standard at 32/33yrs), even Aiden Tolman is playing some of his best footy for us at 31yrs this year.
Agree Walmsley is great would take him regardless of his age

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Where's old mate from StHelens forums that had some info at the time of the Holbrook fiasco ?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never seen Thompson play before . Can anyone vouch for his strengths and weaknesses? Comparisons to other front rowers?