Climate Change Protests

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It's quite a funny situation. Many of my friends are big Libertarians who support Capitalism strongly (as do I to the most part). And they're very anti-China. But it makes it funny when a Communist government is using Capitalism to enforce their regime.
yeah I know what you mean mate.

I would also argue that if Corporates and sporting organisations are scared of China and their power, then the best thing to do is show a strong face full of conviction.

If it only takes a tweet showing showing support for HK, and all of a sudden your entire organisation is going out of it's way to act submissive towards China, then it's quite clear China is going to have their way with you in any way China wants to.

On the other hand the NBA would be seen as much stronger by China if they stood tall and said "so what - one of our GM's has their own personal opinion and it's every americans right to express their opinion any god damn way they want".

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1570959418027.jpg
And This is why I dig my louboutins in more.. Emotive but a baseless plea... Is that the best they've got? Where's the scientific facts ? ...I'm more convinced now than ever that climate change is #fakenews

IMG_20191014_150615.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Many were arrested, some - according to this report, were manhandled.....how are we going "soft" on them? What would you suggest we do instead? Lock them in a dungeon and leave them to rot? Give police power to shoot them on sight? What they are doing may be inconvenient for people trying to get to work, but desperate times call for desperate measures.....if we don't make major efforts to influence policy makers to do something meaningful to address climate change on a global scale, we'll soon be up shit creek without a paddle. The science is solid on this. These protesters may be a pain in people's arses, but they are a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.
You’re kidding yourself if you think what they’re doing can have any effect on climate change policy.
Especially in a country where environmental policy can have a massive financial impact with virtually no climate impact whatsoever.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How do you know that? Can you speak for everyone who was there? Smartphones and gadgets aren't the real problem, anyway, The problem isn't electricity and electronic devices, it is our chosen source of power and the industrial leaders who pollute on a large scale. We can do little things to reduce our footprints (and plenty of people do), but it is politicians and industry leaders who have the real power....putting that back on the protesters is a cop out.
The only real, long term, emissions free power generation that that is available to Australia is nuclear and it is not only illegal in this country but Australians are irrationally fearful of it as the simpsons is doing the educating around here.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The only real, long term, emissions free power generation that that is available to Australia is nuclear and it is not only illegal in this country but Australians are irrationally fearful of it as the simpsons is doing the educating around here.
Nuclear power, provided the plants are not operated by Russians from the Soviet era, should be in safe hands!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nuclear power, provided the plants are not operated by Russians from the Soviet era, should be in safe hands!
Modern reactors are virtually infallible. They are intrinsically safe. Even someone with intimate knowledge of the systems and unlimited time, couldn’t do anything that would result in fuel damage.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You’re kidding yourself if you think what they’re doing can have any effect on climate change policy.
Especially in a country where environmental policy can have a massive financial impact with virtually no climate impact whatsoever.
Read back through the thread and find Hacky’s post about our coal exports........ we could ABSOLUTELY make a difference.

I think there are just as many people who are apprehensive about coal as there are people who irrationally fear nuclear power in this day
And age.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Read back through the thread and find Hacky’s post about our coal exports........ we could ABSOLUTELY make a difference.

I think there are just as many people who are apprehensive about coal as there are people who irrationally fear nuclear power in this day
And age.
This debate, I feel, is impacted a lot by how easier we've had technological advances and mass manufacturing of those technical advances.

When a new technology is introduced, the operational costs are astronomical but as time progresses that technology production becomes more efficlient and hence a cheaper operational cost.

We've seen in recent times that technological advances have gone through the testing and increase of efficiency stages behind closed doors (ie before it's hit the consumer market). And so the general populace is foreign to this initial start up cost, in the renewable energy debate.

The fact is, is that we are being warned by scientists who ACTUALLY study the climate for years and years, that we are at a crucial point in our earths future and that we just don't have the time to delay the initial operational costs and have renewables efficient from the get go.

And this leads onto my personal belief that we are actually a very innovative nation, we punch well above our weight in this area. So yes we should be global leaders for two reasons:

1. Our exports contribute to 30% of the world's emissions
2. We've actually got strong history of finding solutions for problems

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I should add that if it's actually us that finds the solution for renewable energy, guess what happens next ?

We export it, we sell it off, we send our people to teach other nations, we are in a prime position to develop efficiencies and sell that off to the rest of the world too.

But yet some seem to find more solace in a guy who shits his pants at engadine maccas, pisses his pants at the footy and prays to his sky fairy to make it rain.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fkn lol @ your username.
I don’t see what’s so funny about me a female being powerful. You must be stuck in the early 19th century prior to free masons giving feminists power in France and causing a revolution beheading those who opposed their beliefs.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don’t see what’s so funny about me a female being powerful. You must be stuck in the early 19th century prior to free masons giving feminists power in France and causing a revolution beheading those who opposed their beliefs.
Fuck your feelings, bitch ;)

Banned
Reaction score
Modern reactors are virtually infallible. They are intrinsically safe. Even someone with intimate knowledge of the systems and unlimited time, couldn’t do anything that would result in fuel damage.
Challenge accepted?
Oh wait, we've only one nuclear reactor in Straya apparently.
Don't know what those other one's are... *Shh, it's a secret*.

For those curious, there are several Universities with small scale (in comparison to the already small one at Lucas Heights, when compared to global reactors) research reactors alone... :grinning:
A pity Jervis Bay didn't go ahead a few score ago.
Oh, and those that were curious about my swimming comment prior, pool party @ Lucas Heights?

As long as they're service, not profit based, I'm fine with it.
When profit is the defining reason for an industry/company to exist, you get dodgy shit going on.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I didn't even know what a nuclear panner plant was - Homer

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why am I still using my heater in October if global warming is heating up the planet?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why am I still using my heater in October if global warming is heating up the planet?
To explain that I would have go into detail about La Nina, El Nino, SAM and IOD cycles along with points about changes in solar activity which would be about 3 large books of discussion. But to put it in a briefer context...

- They call it climate change rather than Global warming now because it doesn't only effect the heat. Yes there's an overall heating but changes in the earth system cycles results in not only harsher summers but worse winters too and potential change of seasons

- Climate change is only part of it. Climate change happens naturally over thousands of years. The current change is happening over hundreds of years rather than thousands of years thanks to our efforts. This is a disruption of the natural climate cycles

- Weather and temperature (especially localised) are affected by many things including the sun and winds carrying hot and cold from different parts of the earth. Man's influence on the climate alters and disrupts these patterns

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Climate change is very complex. To fully understand it you first need to understand how earth systems work. And that's years of study. Then you have to understand solar activity variations and how each greenhouse gas works (heat trapping effect and longevity)

Side note, CO2 isn't the only greenhouse gas that's a problem. It's just talked about most because it stays in the atmosphere longer than the others. Methane for example has a much greater impact but stays in the air for less time. Water vapour has one of the largest impacts but dissapears very quickly (through rain) and has the added effect of combining with dust particles to create clouds and block the sun from hitting the earth (greenhouse gases absorb the heat coming from the earth after the sun has heated the ground, IR radiation)

You also need to learn about how ecosystems work. For example, crustaceans and other shell forming creatures require balanced ocean water to develop their shells. High acid water prevents them from creating their shells. Without their shells they die. An example of this is the phytoplankton in the oceans. These are the creatures that feed most marine life including whales. They're the bottom of the food chain and without them entire ecosystems collapse. Not just the oceans though, they also provide over 40% of earth's oxygen. Since 1950 their numbers have dropped more than 50% 'cause they can't build shells to keep them alive.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Hacky I don't want to seem like a **** (though I am).

I never claim to know everything.
But has anyone ever told you, you're a know it all with an answer for everything? Lol

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hacky I don't want to seem like a **** (though I am).

I never claim to know everything.
But has anyone ever told you, you're a know it all with an answer for everything? Lol
I call him Mr Google..he’s the source of all human knowledge!