Dogs 2019 season review.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard we were going to get lelulia. I am not a fan of him tbh. It baffles me that players don't want to come over. I am not trying to sound biased but surely we are more stable than other clubs like Newcastle, Penrith and the tigers?
DWZ chose us over other clubs, Napa came over, CHN.. Not sure we've gone really hard for any top line players who have knocked us back, but the guys who have denied us are nothing special and the ones who have come to us have been good pickups

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I heard we were going to get lelulia. I am not a fan of him tbh. It baffles me that players don't want to come over. I am not trying to sound biased but surely we are more stable than other clubs like Newcastle, Penrith and the tigers?
We can't say for sure everyone we've been linked to was true or we really pushed to sign them. We won't sign Leilua for the wrong price (or a player like Leilua) as there are better options in the future that we can buy if we can't get a suitable option for value (might as well get the best available at that point even if it's pricey). I think Newcastle might be in a bit of trouble, but if you look at the ladder (a perspective easy to take) the Dragons were the only "Sydney" club to finish below us (and like I said before they have a better roster on paper then us so they can use that to their advantage). I think once we actually sign a player they'll be really happy to be here, but it's hard to convince a player without being successful (chance of making the 8, top 4, premiership, etc.) or without money (more then value or we'd like). Those are the 2 most important things. Everything just points (in my opinion) to having to sign 1-2 big name players to attract other players. Also even if a club is unstable they're still going to get their $ one way or the other (e.g. at another club). I've seen a few people use the DWZ situation as an against what I'm saying but depending on who you believe (reports, media, etc.) we were the only club that could offer DWZ a Fullback position and even saying that Tigers tried to move on Mbye to fit DWZ in but there wasn't any takers (Eels was the other club as an alternative to signing Waqa Blake). As DWZ was a mid season transfer he was backed into the corner and had to make a decision between joining or playing reserve grade. DWZ has been massive for us tho and I'm sure he's very happy with the choice. Napa is on a lot of money (I'd say overs but probably depends on who you talk to) and I don't know enough about CHN situation to comment as I wasn't as invested in recruitment at that point of time.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty fair summary. Not sure we need another backrower, but if we did sign someone like SBW then I'm sure we would be better for it. But Stimson should provide what we need in that area.
We def need some more hooker after losing Zac Hetherington, Lichaa and Brown recently. Not sure Levi is a great option, but if we cant jag a class hooker then we will need someone to fill the gap next year.
A quality centre would be great, but unless he is a star I'm not sure we need to invest in that area for just next year.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think if i was to take notice if any remarks from commentators about nrl Sterlo would be the one. Very good review. Big improvement next year

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think if i was to take notice if any remarks from commentators about nrl Sterlo would be the one. Very good review. Big improvement next year
Agree. For the most part Sterlo is un biased. If the eels are playing shit, he'll tell it how it is. He and Rabs dont have ego's, where as nearly all x-playing and all sports commentators/writers do. Even Wally goes alright. Ego's seem to be coupled with bias with the NRL. The bias is what turns me off, I want to here commentators deliver a fair assessment of the game there calling, not there opinion (ie Gus). How good was Ritchie Benaud, a much loved and respected commentator world wide.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. For the most part Sterlo is un biased. If the eels are playing shit, he'll tell it how it is. He and Rabs dont have ego's, where as nearly all x-playing and all sports commentators/writers do. Even Wally goes alright. Ego's seem to be coupled with bias with the NRL. The bias is what turns me off, I want to here commentators deliver a fair assessment of the game there calling, not there opinion (ie Gus). How good was Ritchie Benaud, a much loved and respected commentator world wide.
Ritchie Benaud was a fucking legend. He personified cricket. Still miss his commentary when watching cricket.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There really aren't any negatives going into the season, so it'll be the same (including the start) or we'll slightly improve. We haven't lost any big names (Klemmer, Morris' brothers). We've also signed a couple of players that might feature in the 17 (Stimson, Katoa). On top of that we've had an extra year to build combinations and just get experience and game time into a few of the younger guys. I'd also like to think that Pay's ideal 1-17 is closer this time around then the start of last season (obviously there was a lot of experimenting last year, which is fine, but will affect results). The only thing we need to keep in mind is that clubs we finished above on paper (e.g. Dragons) have a better roster then us and the Cowboys are going to be recruiting (still linked with Holmes so they're sitting on 1m, they're also turning over a lot of their older forwards). At the moment I'll be predicting us to finish around ~10th. That's probably a mixture of my head and heart tho. Also the recruitment of positions we need (Hooker, Centre, Prop, Winger) isn't likely to be sorted for next season (by sorted I mean here at the club and going to feature in 2020), whereas the one after I believe it will.
Wingers should be Okunbor and Smith
We need a goal kicking centre that isn’t holland idealy Okunbor has to play

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wingers should be Okunbor and Smith
We need a goal kicking centre that isn’t holland idealy Okunbor has to play
For me either Meaney and Reimis or Meaney and Okunbor (Reimis Centre)

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reimis and Okunbor in their somewhere at centre Reimis gets more ball

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this is a pretty fair summary. Not sure we need another backrower, but if we did sign someone like SBW then I'm sure we would be better for it. But Stimson should provide what we need in that area.
We def need some more hooker after losing Zac Hetherington, Lichaa and Brown recently. Not sure Levi is a great option, but if we cant jag a class hooker then we will need someone to fill the gap next year.
A quality centre would be great, but unless he is a star I'm not sure we need to invest in that area for just next year.
JMK is going good he’ll be first choice hooker and with a whole off season as a dummy half let’s see how it goes