Official NRL calls on fans to voice their opinion

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
After implementing changes to create a more free-flowing competition this year, NRL head of football Graham Annesley wants fans to give their views on the state of the game on the field.

Through a 26-question survey on NRL.com, supporters have the opportunity to provide direct feedback on what is working well and where the game could improve.

As well as the opinions of players, clubs and administrators, the results from the fan survey will form a data pack that will be discussed by the NRL's Competition Committee on November 7.

The committee will then pass on recommendations to the ARL Commission, which will decide whether to implement any changes.

Annesley said the challenge for the 2020 season is to build on this year's progress by making play easier to officiate and "more exciting and unpredictable".

"We set out at the start of the year to reverse what happened in 2018 where there were 700 additional penalties [compared to 2017]," Annesley told NRL.com.

We've virtually eliminated all of those to take us back to a more normal setting in keeping with previous years.

"It meant fans were watching more football with less stoppages - we were having in excess of two additional sets and almost two minutes more ball in play per game on average.

"Now we have to look at how we continue to ensure the people who play the game and the people who watch the game get as much enjoyment out of the game as possible.

"It's very important what our key stakeholders think and of course our fans are right at the top of the list."

In addition to being able to rate the standard of play and officiating in 2019, fans can weigh in on a range of topics including:

• How games drawn after 80 minutes should be decided
  • If the rules should be changed to reduce scrums
  • Whether the Bunker should be used more to get more correct decisions
  • The potential to bring back the five-minute sin-bin

"All of the things that are going to be discussed and the questions that we've asked in the survey, none of them are hard and fast proposals," Annesley said.

"We want to get a broad range of opinions and then have the discussion. Some of these things may go nowhere but others may well have some attraction for implementation by the Commission."

Annesley said it's possible that rule changes could be brought in as soon as 2020 after any Competition Committee recommendations are considered by the Commission.

"It would depend on the impact of the change and whether we think there is sufficient time between now and next season to give clubs and players enough time to prepare," Annesley said.

"We want to make the game as entertaining as possible but we've got to make sure we maintain the fabric of the game.

"This game's been around for 110 years and whilst it's evolved and will continue to evolve, we're not talking about anything outrageous or redesigning the game."

The Competition Committee includes Annesley, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, commissioner Wayne Pearce, incoming ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys, Australian coach Mal Meninga, Panthers mentor Ivan Cleary and his Cowboys counterpart Paul Green, Hall of Fame member Darren Lockyer, RLPA general manager Clint Newton and premiership-winning ex-coach John Lang.

Take the NRL survey here

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/10/14/nrl-calls-on-fans-to-voice-their-opinion/

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
LOL. If this survey isn't baiting fans, then I don't know what is!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's structurally a terrible survey.

Leading questions. Poorly worded answers.

They start with the premise that everything is better, and ask for answers from there. Bias at its finest!

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I started the survey and as soon I got to the question which team do you support it started glitching I swear

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The administration is a joke and most unprofessional organisation in this country
Why don’t they look into poor crowd attendance in the last 30 years
20,000 empty seats between Souths v east at SCG finals
Virtually no kids playing at junior level
Apart from Parra stadium which was rebuilt again after so many years
Others still playing extremely outdated stadiums
Blatant favouritism towards a certain team and turning a blind eye to salary cap fraud
My passion is and will always be the Bulldogs,I have totally lost confidence in the game in general

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is the best they could come up with they really have their useless heads in the sand

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
i.e we're incompetent fukks and wanna pretend to be on side with the fans hence this bullshit survey, however we're not likely to give a shit and it'll be business as usual in 2020. But if we do implement something worthwhile, it will only be for the honeymoon period of 6 weeks*.

We appreciate your feedback in the matter.

*subject to change at any given time coz fukk you.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Do you support increased use of the Bunker if it means getting more decisions right? Y/N"

Need more options to answer this...

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Do you support increased use of the Bunker if it means getting more decisions right? Y/N"

Need more options to answer this...
The bunker was suppose to help, its become part of the problem. They should fuck it off and make/teach 'a' ref how to officiate a game.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've stupidly participated in this the last few years whilst at the same time witnessing the nrl rapidly getting worse and worse in pretty much all areas. I basically now think there's no hope, so why bother.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
1 ref play to the whistle stop having 50000 camera angles fuck the bunker off .
Fast flowing game it's a simple fucking game leave it fucking simple

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty sure that the NRL will hear a lot of words that they have never heard before and I don't mean nice ones, particularly in relation to the officiating.
Where do you start with what is wrong with the game.... that is a long list..... maybe start with what is right....

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
They need to ban tackling. So many players get injured that way.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Back to one reff. This pocket reff out calls the main reff. Doesn’t work. It’s been tried and has now gone stale.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No question about how pathetic the standard of refereeing is in the NRL.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The game is corrupt, get rid off the betting market and half the problem solved. Then weed out the corrupt officials along with making the rorters work with a salary cap like everyone else. Then maybe we have an even playing field so all can compete