Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Jack Wighton

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/f72f9d6a5656648522aa204500c6dbd2

A week after collecting the Clive Churchill Medal in Canberra’s controversial grand final defeat, Jack Wighton’s future with the Raiders is in doubt after he rejected the club’s latest contract offer.

Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Sunday Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
October 13, 2019 6:00am

FOXSPORTS0:57
Scott: 'Huge shock'
NRL: Retired Cowboys forward Matt Scott has spoken for the first time after suffering a stroke. Scott has described his ...

Clive Churchill Medal winner Jack Wighton is for sale after rejecting an extension clause in his $750,000-a-season contract with the Canberra Raiders.

The Blues Origin and now Kangaroos star is free to sign with a rival club at the end of the month.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Wighton’s manager, Matt Rose, informed Canberra last week that the outstanding five-eighth, centre or fullback would not be taking up an option for 2021.

News the Churchill Medal winner is on the open market will spark a multimillion-dollar bidding war among many of the 16 NRL clubs.

Live stream the inaugural Downer Rugby League World Cup 9’s Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Wighton proved his worth to Canberra in the grand final. Photo: Jonathan Ng
Wighton feels a strong sense of loyalty to the club and coach Ricky Stuart, who staunchly stood by him last year when he was suspended for 10 games for an assault.

At the same time, he has improved out of sight as a player this year and wants to test the market.

“This isn’t to say he wants to leave the Raiders,” Rose told The Sunday Telegraph. “But a lot has happened in his career this year and he’s decided against taking up an option in his favour.

“When he signed the original contract, he wasn’t playing for NSW or Australia and he hadn’t won the Clive Churchill Medal on grand final day.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Opinions you can't ignore. Watch Peta Credlin 6pm Weeknights on Sky News

“I’m not doing my job as his manager unless we can check the market.”

The bond with coach Ricky Stuart could help Canberra’s chances.
Wighton will join Brisbane Broncos second-rower David Fifita as the hottest players on the open market when clubs can begin signing rival players from November 1.

The one negative to come from Canberra’s amazingly successful season is that it has significantly bumped up the value of all their stars.

Even before the grand final, English forward John Bateman hooked up with a new agent, Isaac Moses, who is already trying to negotiate a contract upgrade for the Dally M second-rower of the year.

Nicoll-Klokstad should be rewarded for his rise. Photo: AAP Image/Dean Lewins
MORE NEWS

From beating the Bati to taking on the world

Dragons set to resurrect Luke’s career

Fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was an unknown at the start of the year but is suddenly rated among the best fullbacks in the competition and deserves an upgrade.

Wighton could possibly earn $1 million-a-year on a long-term contract

at another club.

If Ash Taylor is worth $1 million at the Titans, Anthony Milford $1 million at the Broncos and Ben Hunt $1.2 million at the Dragons, Wighton can certainly attract that sort of money.

His tight relationship with Stuart will no doubt work in Canberra’s favour. Yet the opportunity for the 26-year-old to earn up towards $5 million over four years in his next deal will be tempting.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've always liked him as a player, doubt he'll leave the Raiders, but we'd be mad not to try.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
End of the day, his next contract is his prolly last big pay day
26, signs for 5 years from next year that’s 31-32
So unless raiders bump up offer I’d say his gone
But he will probably stay there for 850k

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d agree, but when ben hunt is on over a mil and Milfords etc
No wonder these guys want more
Well Wighton can join another underachieving club if he wants his $1m per season instead of taking a fair deal and challenging for a comp.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On que, Uncle Nick, will make him an offer he can't refuse!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Overrated. Tough player but an average ball player who lacks skill. Needs a quality hb to play outside of.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd say he'll stay with the raiders but they're just trying to squeeze some more money, as the manager said he wouldn't be doing his job otherwise.

I don't think Taylor, Milford or Hunt are good examples of what value is these days, they're just overpaid. Desperate clubs threw stupid money at them, it's not their true value.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be a priority signing ripe for the picking.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great player but literally the opposite of what we need right now, we need a controlling half if we want to go to that next level.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I see Wighton leaving if he gets a $1m offer (I think his manager is just trying to squeeze an extra 50-100k on his contract but he'd accept a contract around the $1m mark). I really don't know. It would mean we could move Foran on instead of having to resign him on a lower contract (~500k hopefully). I still wouldn't go down this path as it'd mean we wouldn't be able to recruit all of a Centre, Hooker, Prop and Winger (obviously talking about quality). If a controlling and organising Halfback came on the market I'd be more interested otherwise I always have just said stick with what we have in the Halves and recruit in other areas. I'm not going to say where I placed the Raiders to finish this year because it's embarrassing now but Wighton (and Bateman and CNK) was a massive reason for where they placed and their success. Again saying all that I'm still on the Latrell/Manu, Grant, Thompson/Taukeiaho and (depending on salary cap remaining) Vunivalu train. All those four signings address areas we need improvement in and on paper I think it would be really competitive talent wise with the current Raiders team.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His not worth a mil.. no fukng way. He should be happy with 800k considering he just started playing footy if U get what I mean.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He might be coming to the mighty DOGGS :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:....

Sorry I just had too.!!!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can see the Roosters going after him to pair him up with Keary. Keary controls and organises while Wighton would be the runner.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can see the Roosters going after him to pair him up with Keary. Keary controls and organises while Wighton would be the runner.
Flanagan's a really good player. I also don't think he's close to minimal wage so it wouldn't make sense buying him if he isn't going to play. 6. Keary, 7. Flanagan imo. I think the Sharks are going to regret not moving on Townsend and keeping Flanagan and I'm also upset that he chose the Roosters over us but it is what it is.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't really rate his skill. Seems like he's just a ball running 5/8th going through a purple patch of form... not worth 1 million at all..