Official Peter Mortimer & Joe Thomas Join Bulldogs Board

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Peter Mortimer is from the wine industry, Joe Thomas from the clothing industry. How is that the same skill set?

Different skills requires in different industries, Different connections. They work in different worlds.

The only thing they have in common is they both played for the Dogs.
Not with what they bring to a football club board its not. Its not like the Dogs need expertise in running a vineyard or starting up a clothing business.

They both bring the same skill set in running a small to medium sized business.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not with what they bring to a football club board its not. Its not like the Dogs need expertise in running a vineyard or starting up a clothing business.

They both bring the same skill set in running a small to medium sized business.
Hate to burst your bubble but the Bulldogs is a small to medium business.

Have a look at our turnover in the annual report.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/siteassets/documents/2018-annual-report_vfinal.pdf

You right they don't need expertise in the wine or apparel business to run a football club.

Maybe why they brought in 2 ex-footballers with football club administration experience, business experience and contacts.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble but the Bulldogs is a small to medium business.

Have a look at our turnover in the annual report.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/siteassets/documents/2018-annual-report_vfinal.pdf

You right they don't need expertise in the wine or apparel business to run a football club.

Maybe why they brought in 2 ex-footballers with football club administration experience, business experience and contacts.
Where did I say the Dogs are a small to medium business? That has got nothing to do with what I'm saying their job isn't to run the business that's Andrew Hill and the admin's job.

I think you are missing the point of what I'm saying they all bring the exact same thing to the table. You said it yourself with what they bring you can Paul Dunn to that as well.

You have 3 board members who are clones of each other. Even bringing in just one person from outside with different connections, ideas and influences could have had a positive effect.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where did I say the Dogs are a small to medium business? That has got nothing to do with what I'm saying their job isn't to run the business that's Andrew Hill and the admin's job.

I think you are missing the point of what I'm saying they all bring the exact same thing to the table. You said it yourself with what they bring you can Paul Dunn to that as well.

You have 3 board members who are clones of each other. Even bringing in just one person from outside with different connections, ideas and influences could have had a positive effect.
I said the Bulldogs are a small business turnover wise not you.

You still just make a statement that they are clones of each other without explaining how?

They come from different industries, have different business experiences and different contacts/customers/suppliers/associates. How are they clones????

Appointing clones would be like having Nick Politis, Peter Warren and Steve Jarvin on the same board.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I said the Bulldogs are a small business turnover wise not you.

You still just make a statement that they are clones of each other without explaining how?

They come from different industries, have different business experiences and different contacts/customers/suppliers/associates. How are they clones????
What relevance does the size of the business have when they aren’t doing the day to day running of that business?

As far as board members they are similar! Of course everything isn’t the same with their experience. They are former players and run small to medium sized businesses. Look at other boards around the NRL (the good ones) they have people from political backgrounds, sitting board members for huge companies, media backgrounds and legal backgrounds. Most of them have never played a game or been involved in football before people like that are valuable and have genuine influence.

Anyway they are there now let’s see what they do between now and February.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What relevance does the size of the business have when they aren’t doing the day to day running of that business?

As far as board members they are similar! Of course everything isn’t the same with their experience. They are former players and run small to medium sized businesses. Look at other boards around the NRL (the good ones) they have people from political backgrounds, sitting board members for huge companies, media backgrounds and legal backgrounds. Most of them have never played a game or been involved in football before people like that are valuable and have genuine influence.

Anyway they are there now let’s see what they do between now and February.
Correct me if I am wrong are saying that to be a good board member they must sit on boards of massive companies? and having a RL background is not a good thing?

That a guy who has built a successful winery from the ground up and now sell massive amounts of wine not only in Australia but exports it to China by the container load and has a RL background will not be good for us? That it is just more of the same?

Which board has lawyers on it apart from Pappas at Souths? Apart from the Roosters & Dragons who has media on it? BTW Mortimer spent years commentating on RL for WIN in country NSW. Not enough media experience for you?

So you want members of boards from huge companies who have so much else to do sitting on the board of our club? Because they will have so much time to pay us attention?

Who are these board members from huge companies that sit on other clubs boards?

Again you are just making statements and not supplying any facts. Supply the facts to back your argument please.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong are saying that to be a good board member they must sit on boards of massive companies? and having a RL background is not a good thing?

That a guy who has built a successful winery from the ground up and now sell massive amounts of wine not only in Australia but exports it to China by the container load and has a RL background will not be good for us? That it is just more of the same?

Which board has lawyers on it apart from Pappas at Souths? Apart from the Roosters & Dragons who has media on it? BTW Mortimer spent years commentating on RL for WIN in country NSW. Not enough media experience for you?

So you want members of boards from huge companies who have so much else to do sitting on the board of our club? Because they will have so much time to pay us attention?

Who are these board members from huge companies that sit on other clubs boards?

Again you are just making statements and not supplying any facts. Supply the facts to back your argument please.
You just aren’t comprehended my points. I said in a earlier post that I wasn’t shitting on the appointments that I would have liked to see some diversity on the board.

Take a look at the Broncos, Cowboys and several AFL clubs this backs up my argument. When I said media involvement I didn’t mean in a commentary sense either I meant holding positions of management.

It’s quite common for people to sit on several boards. They only meet once a month.

This is going round in circles and it’s feels like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall so let’s agree to disagree.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want to see a massive signing,the 80's we made some big signings that changed the club,90's the same it's time for a game changer

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You just aren’t comprehended my points. I said in a earlier post that I wasn’t shitting on the appointments that I would have liked to see some diversity on the board.

Take a look at the Broncos, Cowboys and several AFL clubs this backs up my argument. When I said media involvement I didn’t mean in a commentary sense either I meant holding positions of management.

It’s quite common for people to sit on several boards. They only meet once a month.

This is going round in circles and it’s feels like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall so let’s agree to disagree.
The only thing I don't comprehend is why you don't give examples to back your arguments.

All you have done is make unsubstantiated statements.

You are correct, many do sit on multiple boards. It is also common for many board members who are so busy to not show up to board meetings. Some may only show up to 25% (worst case scenario).

Please stop headbutting the brick wall. It is getting damaged.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't comprehend is why you don't give examples to back your arguments.

All you have done is make unsubstantiated statements.
There’s actually plenty you don’t comprehend in the argument.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Craig Emerson
https://home.kpmg/au/en/home/contacts/e/craig-emerson.html

These are the kind of credentials I’d like to see. He might not want the position so that’s where it becomes tricky.
So you don’t want buisnessmen and blokes who have grown businesses from nothing to multi million dollar a year
To a politician that done his best to fuck the economy
Then left to set up his own small BUISNESS in economic consultancy......

The fucking irony lololololol

You couldn’t write this shit hahhahahaha

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you don’t want buisnessmen and blokes who have grown businesses from nothing to multi million dollar a year
To a politician that done his best to fuck the economy
Then left to set up his own BUISNESS in economic consultancy......

The fucking irony lololololol
You’re letting your personal bias get in the way now. I only see that Emerson has experience and contacts at all levels of government and that’s important to the club in terms of getting grants. Being involved in international legislation and agreements is also a major plus.

John Fahey is another one that springs to mind.

They said in the press release they weren’t going to appoint replacements to the board until it was bought up at the members meeting a week ago. It seems a very short amount of time to find best person for the job.

It’s all done now and they are on the board. Joe and Peter have my full support and hopefully they impress enough in the next few months to get re elected with the rest of the current board.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s actually plenty you don’t comprehend in the argument.
You mean apart from the fact you haven't used one single fact to back up your argument?

I would ask you what else you think that I don't comprehend, but you probably still won't be able to provide any facts.

Do you comprehend what a fact is?

You definitely weren't in the debating team in school.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You’re letting your personal bias get in the way now. I only see that Emerson has experience and contacts at all levels of government and that’s important to the club in terms of getting grants. Being involved in international legislation and agreements is also a major plus.

John Fahey is another one that springs to mind.

They said in the press release they weren’t going to appoint replacements to the board until it was bought up at the members meeting a week ago. It seems a very short amount of time to find best person for the job.

It’s all done now and they are on the board. Joe and Peter have my full support and hopefully they impress enough in the next few months to get re elected with the rest of the current board.
John Fahey?

Ex-Bulldogs player?

Isn't that what you were calling clones?

Craig Emerson has set his business up in the ACT and is also a fellow at ANU in Canberra. He also is a Adjunct Professor at Victoria University’s College of Business in Melbourne.

How would he get to board meetings? How much time could he devote to us?

Last edited:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
John Fahey?

Ex-Bulldogs player?

Craig Emerson has set his business up in the ACT and is also a fellow at ANU in Canberra. He also is a Adjunct Professor at Victoria University’s College of Business in Melbourne.

His just named the same type of person he didn’t want
It’s hilarious

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You mean apart from the fact you haven't used one single fact to back up your argument?

I would ask you what else you think that I don't comprehend, but you probably still won't be able to provide any facts.

Do you comprehend what a fact is?

You definitely weren't in the debating team in school.
Look at some of the people of these boards
Broncos
Karl Morris
https://au.linkedin.com/in/morriskarl
Neil Monaghan
https://au.linkedin.com/in/neil-monaghan-05b491b
Katie Bickford
https://au.linkedin.com/in/katie-bickford-459287a8

Roosters
https://www.roosters.com.au/about/roosters-board/

Cowboys
Lawrence Lancini
https://www.lancinigroup.com.au/about/corporate-profile/
Sandra Harding
https://www.jcu.edu.au/office-of-the-vice-chancellor-and-president/biography

Swans
https://m.sydneyswans.com.au/club/our-people/board-members

These are the type of board members i was referring to in my previous post. They are involved in the high end of town in a corporate, government and various other places.

As I said before I wasn’t shitting on Joe or Peters appointment or what they achieved but do you see from the people I have listed where I’m coming from?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
John Fahey?

Ex-Bulldogs player?

Missing the point again. It’s not about being a ex player Fahey is a ex premier it’s a step up from running a clothes company.

As for attending board meetings from Canberra it didn’t seem to be a problem for Steve Price when he was based in Queensland since he’s been on the board.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His just named the same type of person he didn’t want
It’s hilarious
Since when is running a clothes business on the same level as being premier of the state?