Dogs 2019 season review.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah not sure if we need a Second Rower ay.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good high level summary from Sterlo. Interesting comments RE Dani Levi. Don’t discount that signing.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm very confident we will pick up where we left off!! The boys will be pumped up for round 1 after what happened this year

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm very confident we will pick up where we left off!! The boys will be pumped up for round 1 after what happened this year
Isn't that what we said last time? LOL. Really hope Pay gets it right this time.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There really aren't any negatives going into the season, so it'll be the same (including the start) or we'll slightly improve. We haven't lost any big names (Klemmer, Morris' brothers). We've also signed a couple of players that might feature in the 17 (Stimson, Katoa). On top of that we've had an extra year to build combinations and just get experience and game time into a few of the younger guys. I'd also like to think that Pay's ideal 1-17 is closer this time around then the start of last season (obviously there was a lot of experimenting last year, which is fine, but will affect results). The only thing we need to keep in mind is that clubs we finished above on paper (e.g. Dragons) have a better roster then us and the Cowboys are going to be recruiting (still linked with Holmes so they're sitting on 1m, they're also turning over a lot of their older forwards). At the moment I'll be predicting us to finish around ~10th. That's probably a mixture of my head and heart tho. Also the recruitment of positions we need (Hooker, Centre, Prop, Winger) isn't likely to be sorted for next season (by sorted I mean here at the club and going to feature in 2020), whereas the one after I believe it will.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what we said last time? LOL. Really hope Pay gets it right this time.

I think we were a stronger team at the back end of this season than last.... most of the wins at the back end of last year were more about shit opposition and us throwing caution to the wind.. where as now we are grinding teams down and playing the sort of footy that you'd expect from a Bulldogs team... Remains to be seen what will happen with Lewis in attack but I think JMK is on the up... Having Dallin at the back also gives us a bit of stability in the spine for when Foz inevitably gets injured

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think 2020 will be a much improved season. Top 8 should be very achievable.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we were a stronger team at the back end of this season than last.... most of the wins at the back end of last year were more about shit opposition and us throwing caution to the wind.. where as now we are grinding teams down and playing the sort of footy that you'd expect from a Bulldogs team... Remains to be seen what will happen with Lewis in attack but I think JMK is on the up... Having Dallin at the back also gives us a bit of stability in the spine for when Foz inevitably gets injured
The biggest wrap for Pay is people saying that we're playing like he did back in the day (representation of the coach). It confirms the players are doing and believing in what he says. That also could of been a big reason for players being in and out of the squad. The best teams in the league are defensive teams (we're sort of in a reverse Raiders from old, can't score points, but are one of the best defensive sides - in the back end of the season and winning the grind). I think to be competitive in the 8 we need to address that (our attack, strike weapons, etc.), mainly by recruitment, but atm we can only control what we have. I'm really proud with what Pay, the coaching staff and the team has done this year (and I'm sure it'll be similar next year), but I'm also really excited for 2021 even tho it's a while away...

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest wrap for Pay is people saying that we're playing like he did back in the day (representation of the coach). It confirms the players are doing and believing in what he says. That also could of been a big reason for players being in and out of the squad.
Yeah that's it... also Pay seems to be able to make tough calls and get a response... very hard as a new coach in the modern day.... one player could kick stones and the coach could face the axe.... but we saw a real turn in form from certain players... I thought RFM had a great back end of season, CHN, and we're starting to see guys like To'Omaga playing the sort of footy we saw from them in the ISP.

There is still a long way to go but we are definitely on the up

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest wrap for Pay is people saying that we're playing like he did back in the day (representation of the coach). It confirms the players are doing and believing in what he says. That also could of been a big reason for players being in and out of the squad. The best teams in the league are defensive teams (we're sort of in a reverse Raiders from old, can't score points, but are one of the best defensive sides - in the back end of the season and winning the grind). I think to be competitive in the 8 we need to address that (our attack, strike weapons, etc.), mainly by recruitment, but atm we can only control what we have. I'm really proud with what Pay, the coaching staff and the team has done this year (and I'm sure it'll be similar next year), but I'm also really excited for 2021 even tho it's a while away...
Weren't we meant to have a signed a prop and a centre for next year? What happened to Luke Thompson? Is he still coming?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah that's it... also Pay seems to be able to make tough calls and get a response... very hard as a new coach in the modern day.... one player could kick stones and the coach could face the axe.... but we saw a real turn in form from certain players... I thought RFM had a great back end of season, CHN, and we're starting to see guys like To'Omaga playing the sort of footy we saw from them in the ISP.

There is still a long way to go but we are definitely on the up
We have a really good leadership group too which is diffidently helping him (Jackson, Tolman, Hopoate specifically, I'm sure it's rubbing of on a few of the other boys too like Foran, DWZ, Elliott).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Weren't we meant to have a signed a prop and a centre for next year? What happened to Luke Thompson? Is he still coming?
Thompson still on contract for next year at St Helens. I think Thompson would be a 2021 signing. Thompson or Taukeiaho (is ageing) would be great addition for 2021. We've constantly been looking at trying to grab a decent Centre, Hooker (we've resorted to signing Katoa and extending JMK - which I think would of happened anyways, I don't think Pay wants him starting ideally, would be great off the bench) and Prop for 2020 for value but we just haven't be able to (they're chosing other clubs over us, either for more chance of success or $).

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting when Bracey asks Sterlo If the Dogs will be in the top 4 and who they need to recruit to get there he doesnt answer his top 4 question but goes on about potential recruits.
Sterlo isnt an idiot he sees potential - he saw a wooded spoon candidate from the start of the year beat his team at home on their road to the finals.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have a really good leadership group too which is diffidently helping him (Jackson, Tolman, Hopoate specifically, I'm sure it's rubbing of on a few of the other boys too like Foran, DWZ, Elliott).
Tolman Napa and Hoppa were invaluable at the beginning of the season just to provide that stability for the younger inexperienced guys to keep their composure... That played a big role in being able to turn the season around... I was really impressed with the maturity shown by guys like Meaney and Cogger... coming into a new team and experiencing what they did... but remaining focused and improving as the season progressed... Our season could have ended up very ugly if we were a club like say.. the Knights.. there was a point where a lot of us wondered where a single win would come from!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tolman Napa and Hoppa were invaluable at the beginning of the season just to provide that stability for the younger inexperienced guys to keep their composure... That played a big role in being able to turn the season around... I was really impressed with the maturity shown by guys like Meaney and Cogger... coming into a new team and experiencing what they did... but remaining focused and improving as the season progressed... Our season could have ended up very ugly if we were a club like say.. the Knights.. there was a point where a lot of us wondered where a single win would come from!
I'm not going to lie when Meaney was first moved to the Wing it was a massive head scratcher for me (and I'd assume a lot of other people) but honestly he improved so much (I don't think he's a long term option for the Wing, but you never know, he's already proved me wrong once). Unlike a lot of other clubs (Knights, Cowboys and Dragons come to mind) our players didn't throw the towel in (when we were going through a tough period or when the season was almost mathematically over) and kept playing for the fans, the coach and each other. Against all odds, which is why I'm really proud of them.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie when Meaney was first moved to the Wing it was a massive head scratcher for me (and I'd assume a lot of other people) but honestly he improved so much (I don't think he's a long term option for the Wing, but you never know, he's already proved me wrong once). Unlike a lot of other clubs (Knights, Cowboys and Dragons come to mind) our players didn't throw the towel in (when we were going through a tough period or when the season was almost mathematically over) and kept playing for the fans, the coach and each other. Against all odds, which is why I'm really proud of them.
Yea, I'm not sure I could imagine him being a top winger in the comp but he is doing alirght for somebody who has barely played much of even his natural position at the top level.. had a good work rate and always has his hand up for a run... can't ask much more from him. It will be interesting to see what Pay does there.

that's it man... we even had a bandwagon of supporters from other clubs at the end of the season re our smidgen of a chance at playing finals footy. No matter where we are at we are always a proud club

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think 2020 will be a much improved season. Top 8 should be very achievable.
Bearing in mind that ladder position is relative to other teams, which other teams do you see you plateauing or going backwards that we will make ground on?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson still on contract for next year at St Helens. I think Thompson would be a 2021 signing. Thompson or Taukeiaho (is ageing) would be great addition for 2021. We've constantly been looking at trying to grab a decent Centre, Hooker (we've resorted to signing Katoa and extending JMK - which I think would of happened anyways, I don't think Pay wants him starting ideally, would be great off the bench) and Prop for 2020 for value but we just haven't be able to (they're chosing other clubs over us, either for more chance of success or $).
I heard we were going to get lelulia. I am not a fan of him tbh. It baffles me that players don't want to come over. I am not trying to sound biased but surely we are more stable than other clubs like Newcastle, Penrith and the tigers?