Is one person's luxury another person's mediocre?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It's supposed to be just a bit of fun, a bit of jousting in good spirit. Reality is there are many ways to indulge, everyone is different and enjoys different things. It is comical though when a few on here get their bones rattled when what they call luxury is chuckled at by most (ie the thrifty backpackers and stingy bbq etc)
I had an acquaintance who lived in that backpacker hostel on William st.

I was wondering why he got to live in the city so cheap?

I found out exactly why when I seen his whole floor only had 2 toilets and showers to share amongst everyone!

I guess he didn't have much to worry about?considering some poms and Welsh are known to have aquaphobia.

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
All about appreciation, and there's different ways to demonstrate it, be you one that has the freedom to splurge upon others, or you barely have the freedom to eat!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
All about appreciation, and there's different ways to demonstrate it, be you one that has the freedom to splurge upon others, or you barely have the freedom to eat!
I'm not a rich man and don't particularly like a lot of people,but am the type of guy to help out somebody if I feel they truly need it, without the expectation of anything in return!

For this reason I'm viewed as a nice guy.
Since most people are stupid mistake kindness for weakness I get treated as a door mat.

Just because someone does something nice it doesn't mean they are weak and stupid!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a rich man and don't particularly like a lot of people,but am the type of guy to help out somebody if I feel they truly need it, without the expectation of anything in return!

Since most people are stupid mistake kindness for weakness I get treated as a door mat.

Just because someone does something nice it doesn't mean they are weak and stupid!
that is definitely something that I have seen said before by weak people

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
that is definitely something that I have seen said before by weak people
Are you saying people like Jesus Christ and Grigori Rasputin are weak?

Jesus and Rasputin were known to be humble and generous and neither of them were weak!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying people like Jesus Christ and Grigori Rasputin are weak?

Jesus and Rasputin were known to be humble and generous and neither of them were weak!
mate.... you are soft... accept it.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

"Don't confuse my kindness for my weakness"

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aren't you near 7 ft tall? That's enough for me to give you some respect, nice or not. You might be kind but I sure most people who deal with you know if they push you too far you might swat them. If you were short, I could understand people would kick sand

I interviewed a young girl for a job not too long ago, she was an internal applicant. She was blonde and very ditzy or so it seemed. Initially seemed she was all good looks and nothing in her head. She also had no confidence and was basically telling me the other applicants were better. I asked a few more questions, I found out she was a few subjects off completing her studies to be a doctor. I couldn't believe it, I told her your way too smart for this job, but noway are you not good enough. then I told her if I was you and was about to become a doctor, I'd tattoo it on my head, sing from the tree tops, gotta let people know about your best features, sell yourself. I really pumped up her tyres and she relaxed and I could see how smart she was. After that I called her doctor at work.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Aren't you near 7 ft tall? That's enough for me to give you some respect. You might be kind but I sure most people who deal with you know if they push too far you might swat them. If you were short, I could understand people would kick sand

I interviewed a young girl for a job not too long ago, she was an internal applicant. She was blonde and very ditzy or so it seemed. Initially seemed she was all good looks and nothing in her head. She also had no confidence and was basically telling me the other applicants were better. I asked a few more questions, I found out she was a few subjects off completing her studies to be a doctor. I couldn't believe it, I told her your way too smart for this job, but noway are you not good enough. then I told her if I was you and was about to become a doctor, I'd tattoo it on my head, sing from the tree tops, gotta let people know about your best features. I really pumped up her tyres and she really relaxed and I could see how smart she was. After that I called her doctor at work.
I get judged by my size.

A lot of people treat us tall guys as if we aren't too bright I feel.

Or people think because I choose to be nice that I'm a push over.
Its all good, push me too far I will introduce you to the devil!

I know society judges us tall guys as oversized freaky dopes.

I played AFL for a while and one of my team mates who is a bit shorter than me I always thought to myself this guy looks like a big dopey prick.

I then took a step back in my thoughts and realised if I'm thinking that of him, then what do others think of me?

Its no secret that in reality I don't think much of myself.
I say it stems back to my childhood watching my parents fighting all the time before they divorced and hearing and witnessing a lot of shit that no young child should ever have to put up with?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get judged by my size.

I played AFL for a while and one of my team mates who is a bit shorter than me I always thought to myself this guy looks like a big dopey prick.

I then took a step back in my thoughts and realised if I'm thinking that of him, then what do others think of me?

I say it stems back to my childhood watching my parents fighting all the time before they divorced and hearing and witnessing a lot of shit that no young child should ever have to put up with?

Girls love a tall guy so it isn't that bad yea?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get judged by my size.

Hey chin up...or at least higher up :grinning:

Don't feel bad about being a big unit, it's better than being a midget. In all seriousness most people are carrying something that upsets them or they feel disappointed about. Many carry around much worse things than being tall.

To help you, try to put your issue into perspective, I often tell people to go spend a few hours in the nic unit at the children's Hospital. See what unfair is all about and if you would trade places.

Be resiliant, make the best of what you have, it's likely much better than most will ever have

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey chin up...or at least higher up :grinning:

Don't feel bad about being a big unit, it's better than being a midget. In all seriousness most people are carrying something that upsets them or they feel disappointed about. Many carry around much worse things than being tall.

To help you, try to put your issue into perspective, I often tell people to go spend a few hours in the nic unit at the children's Hospital. See what unfair is all about and if you would trade places.

I saw first hand a baby flown in from central Australia , born premature, mother arrived a day or so later. Husband was waiting to get discharged from army to come to hospital.

Baby needed heart surgery. It was a public holiday and operation had to wait to after Easter. Baby struggled and mum distraught.

On the Tuesday after public holiday the surgeon calls in sick as they can't operate if they are unwell so as not to pass on infection.. baby goes into shock, doctors coming from everywhere... Baby dies right there, day before rescheduled operation, mum trembling like crazy , Noone to comfort her. I kept into contact with her, she ended up getting divorced with her army husband.

Another bub comes in, born deformed, guts outside of its body with no stomach formed up. Looked like a bag of meat. But baby was in good spirits compared to mum and dad.

Another comes in with muscular dystrophy .. doctors know the baby won't make it, mum fighting for every inch to perform a miracle. Bub dies after a month of trying, mum tortured

I have my own nic unit story. I won't talk about it, but didn't end well.

I have a mate that is extremely well off, filthy rich,but he lost his mum tragically in front of him when he was 9-10yrs old, he can't fix what happened no matter how much he opens his wallet

I know a guy from the neighbourhood when I was young, a big guy. Everyone was trying to hit him hard in the park playing footy. He was bigger and stronger than us all, very hard to take down. We get home from our footy game, an hour later his sister knocks on my door, found him dead on his lounge room floor, had a heart attack after playing footy. Did we tackle him too hard?

Not to try and rank anyones struggles but always try put into perspective, there are always others in a worse position. use what you have and make the best of it, be resiliant, might very well be much better off than most others.
Thats horrible.
One of my friends has a friend who married a Filipina.
He knocked her up, she stayed in the Philippines with the baby.

A monsoon struck her village one night and the baby got washed away.

Seeing or hearing stuff like this brings me down and another reason I'm not religious and believe life isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thats horrible.
One of my friends has a friend who married a Filipina.
He knocked her up, she stayed in the Philippines with the baby.

A monsoon struck her village one night and the baby got washed away.

Seeing or hearing stuff like this brings me down and another reason I'm not religious and believe life isn't all rainbows and unicorns.
Not preaching but if you were religious, you would of already known this world isn't rainbows and unicorns at all.

This hell hole is a putrid swamp full of evil.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just depends on the individual.

For 5 years I saw people breathing easy and filling up their lungs a luxury while I was gasping for a quarter breath while even laying in bed.
Perspective. It’s everything.
Some have it, others think a trial is beating a parking fine.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If someone is doing better than me I say good luck to em who gives a fuck, if you can over ride spite you are rich in intellect.
Sometimes its the simple things that make your day.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When i first moved to Qld 11yrs ago, i was invited to watch Origin at a workmates friends house. Being an Arab i was expecting full buffet type food etc etc

All the host gave us was 1 sausage each and half a piece of steak . Looked at my mate and he was looking at me in disbelief at how tight the home owner was. Mate and i ended up eating bread and butter for the rest of the night as it was only thing available.

To me that was fucking disgusting, i was raised that if u invite ppl over for food, you put on a massive spread and u provide everything, and u dont skimp...

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i first moved to Qld 11yrs ago, i was invited to watch Origin at a workmates friends house. Being an Arab i was expecting full buffet type food etc etc

All the host gave us was 1 sausage each and half a piece of steak . Looked at my mate and he was looking at me in disbelief at how tight the home owner was. Mate and i ended up eating bread and butter for the rest of the night as it was only thing available.

To me that was fucking disgusting, i was raised that if u invite ppl over for food, you put on a massive spread and u provide everything, and u dont skimp...
It's incredible how people think their guests are stupid. They can pull a sneaky one on you. If you want to organise a function you don't do it on other people's back.

In March I went overseas for a wedding. I didn't expect much from the couple getting married but at least be half decent and appreciate the effort and cost to come to an overseas wedding. I went overseas, half way round the world, at my own cost, paid for a few people to go as well, then they send me a list of gifts to contribute to.. on top...okay..

At the wedding it would have been the cheapest possible meal option. Basically a tiny bit of meat not even enough for everyone, cut into mini pieces. On a table you had to go get yourself and some salad. Enough alcohol to have one drink each.. Cost me $4000-5000 just to get to the wedding and they offer up a stingy crap feed like that. Absolutely disgraceful.

I know weddings are not cheap but if you expect people to spend good money coming to your wedding around the world, you had bloody better put on a decent feed. In their heads they are thinking you got to enjoy a holiday?

Then the dad gets up and says how proud he is and all the things the couple getting married have achieved its so amazing.

I was gonna interject and say "what exactly have they achieved?" Tell everyone for our benefit.

Do some people just think they are smarter and you don't pick up on it or they genuinely just don't get it.

Last edited: