Official Luke Vella Appointed 2020 Jersey Flegg Coach

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LUKE VELLA APPOINTED 2020 JERSEY FLEGG HEAD COACH

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs can announce that Luke Vella has been appointed as Head Coach of the Jersey Flegg side for the 2020 season.

Vella, a local junior and former player for the club, has been an assistant coach of the Bulldogs under 20s team for three seasons and takes over from David Penna.

Luke has an extensive knowledge of the young players and a complete understanding of the requirements at this level having spent the past five seasons involved with the club.

“It’s a big honour. It’s something that I have really worked hard to get, and I believe it’s a good step in my coaching career. I’m looking forward to the transition and feel I have a good understanding and knowledge of what’s required thanks to the work I have done with good people around the club,” Vella said.

The 25-year old represented the Bulldogs through the Harold Matthews, SG Ball and NYC competitions before a serious shoulder injury ended his career in 2014.

Vella suffered nerve damage to the brachial plexus in his left shoulder/neck and it, unfortunately, left his left arm totally disabled with no movement and little sensation.

The injury put a complete stop to his rugby league career as a player, but it enabled the former hooker to pursue a career in coaching.

His involvement with the club has not just been on the coaching front, but also see him complete a traineeship with the club’s Career and Welfare department to help in his transition to life away from the football field.

His rise amongst the junior coaching ranks saw him appointed as the NSW Under 16s Harold Matthews representative coach earlier this year.

General Manager of Football Steve Price was delighted to have Vella on board as the Jersey Flegg Coach: “It’s a great reward for Luke and the club. He has done a tremendous job as an assistant and the appointment is a sign of what we are about at the Bulldogs. Not only are we developing our own on the field, but we’re doing it off the field as well. I’m really happy for him and the progression he has made in his coaching career.”

Vella will assemble his squad in early November to begin their pre-season and preparations for the 2020 season.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I forgot about this guy. Poor **** but good on him for getting to this level, that's impressive.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good too see, now let’s see how things go.. hopefully we are in good hands as the future rolls on in all grades for the doggies :-)

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Congrats to Lukes Appointment. Hope he does well.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well done Luke. The Bulldogs mantra lives on. Never ever give up!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From a story about insurance for players written in July 2014, three months after Vella's career ending injury:

Serious disability requires a lifetime approach and yet, while the NRL makes $1 billion from TV payments, their insurance — until an “interim” policy announced yesterday is signed off by the players — carries a maximum payout of $500,000. The Australian Rugby Union, meanwhile, provides three times that ... despite being flat out affording the pen which signed off the deal. Certainly, change is coming. Vella himself praising both the NRL, who are looking into educational courses, and Canterbury, who are financing medical bills and employing him around the office. But this, remember, is after three months. Dwyer might suggest we revisit in three years.

Source

I guess this counts as a revisit after 5.5 years, and I'll bet Vella himself didn't imagine back then where he'd be now. Well done to him for not giving in, and well done to the club who have obviously supported him throughout. Someone there is keeping their eye on the ball despite CEO and Board changes.