My carpentry project

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers mate. Yeah I agree. I think it works really well with the industrial style metal framework as well.

I finished the slab with 320 grit paper too, so its soft as silk. Even before I oiled it you ould catch a reflection off it!
Nice mate.

I dabble a bit in guitar building and if I’m using a fingerboard wood that doesn’t need finish, I polish it up to like 10,000 grit micro mesh sandpaper. I did it on an ebony board and it actually looked like glass. Complete overkill but fuck it was satisfying lol

Banned
Reaction score
Nice slab, even a hint of crotch in the wood.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t like you as a random person on the line. But fuck you have a God given gift right there. Beautiful work

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice mate.

I dabble a bit in guitar building and if I’m using a fingerboard wood that doesn’t need finish, I polish it up to like 10,000 grit micro mesh sandpaper. I did it on an ebony board and it actually looked like glass. Complete overkill but fuck it was satisfying lol
Wow. Guitar making? Respect. That's an incredible skill. Is it just for hobby interest? Upload some images mate.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is fucking awesome.

I really want to do something like this. Was at Meatsock last year with a mate who is an Arborist and we were checking out these tables. The guy made them from the cross section of giant trees. My mate was quick to point out that trees that size had to have been obtained illegally but the guy said that they received coucil approval to clear these old hazardous trees from a farm and when they cleared them he decided to make furniture from them.

He sells each table for around $20k - $40k each.
Wow. Sounds like some epic timber!! I'd really love to make a river bable with some gnarly old timber. You know the ones where you slice a slab down the middle and use the straight edges on the outside, and fill the I side with acrylic. It's amazing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow. Sounds like some epic timber!! I'd really love to make a river bable with some gnarly old timber. You know the ones where you slice a slab down the middle and use the straight edges on the outside, and fill the I side with acrylic. It's amazing.
Yeah, I've watched some YouTube videos making coffee tables like that. Looks insane.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice mate.

Feats and Watson do a great glass finish

Banned
Reaction score
I'd just love to get myself a nice huon pine birdseye tiger striped burl.
Custom cut throat/straight razor scales from my grandfathers straight, and a handle to make a few brush handles from for 30mm knots.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I've watched some YouTube videos making coffee tables like that. Looks insane.
The only trouble is that the acrylic is pretty expensive, and you need a space big enough to lay the mould.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about something I cant seem to recall, and I was talking about a bar table I was making from a timber slab and a number of people were interested in the project.

After several hours of planning and sanding I finally had my beautiful slab of raintree ready to be sealed. Unfortunately the slab was only about 14 months old, so I was not able to finish is with a varnish coating as the shrinking process which takes place as the timber ages would have caused the varnish to crack. So instead I gave it about 10 coats of linseed oil which will soak in nicely and protect the timber until i can safely expect it to no longer shrink. At this point i will coat it with a high gloss varnish.

The next step was to make the framework to hold the slab of timber. I used 70mm round steel for the 3 vertical poles, and 30mm x 2mm square steel for the horizontal pieces. All the welding and steel was then given a couple of coats of zinc spray to protect from rust, and 4 coats of hemmertone grey paint t to finish off.

I have finally finished my project, and I have to say I'm very happy with the result. It will be even better once I can finally give it a good lick of varnish in the future.

What do you think guys??View attachment 11537 View attachment 11538 View attachment 11539
Awesome.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about something I cant seem to recall, and I was talking about a bar table I was making from a timber slab and a number of people were interested in the project.

After several hours of planning and sanding I finally had my beautiful slab of raintree ready to be sealed. Unfortunately the slab was only about 14 months old, so I was not able to finish is with a varnish coating as the shrinking process which takes place as the timber ages would have caused the varnish to crack. So instead I gave it about 10 coats of linseed oil which will soak in nicely and protect the timber until i can safely expect it to no longer shrink. At this point i will coat it with a high gloss varnish.

The next step was to make the framework to hold the slab of timber. I used 70mm round steel for the 3 vertical poles, and 30mm x 2mm square steel for the horizontal pieces. All the welding and steel was then given a couple of coats of zinc spray to protect from rust, and 4 coats of hemmertone grey paint t to finish off.

I have finally finished my project, and I have to say I'm very happy with the result. It will be even better once I can finally give it a good lick of varnish in the future.

What do you think guys??View attachment 11537 View attachment 11538 View attachment 11539
Sick bro..!!! Love it :hearteyes:

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Guitar making? Respect. That's an incredible skill. Is it just for hobby interest? Upload some images mate.
Just hobby these days mate. Not a lot of time with young kids unfortunately lol.

IMG_2583.JPG

That’s my latest. Swamp ash body with a maple neck. Had my brother print the paisley on vinyl, then clear coated it

IMG_1077.JPG

Another one I made a while back.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just hobby these days mate. Not a lot of time with young kids unfortunately lol.

View attachment 11557
That’s my latest. Swamp ash body with a maple neck. Had my brother print the paisley on vinyl, then clear coated it

View attachment 11558
Another one I made a while back.
That's epic bro!! Well done. Well above my carpentry skill level. Lol
How long have you been doing it for?

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's epic bro!! Well done. Well above my carpentry skill level. Lol
How long have you been doing it for?
Thanks man. On and off for probably 6 or 7 years I guess. Only just getting back into it after a year or 2 off. I love doing it but it’s really time consuming. Once the kids are a bit older I’ll probably dive head first back into it

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks man. On and off for probably 6 or 7 years I guess. Only just getting back into it after a year or 2 off. I love doing it but it’s really time consuming. Once the kids are a bit older I’ll probably dive head first back into it
Pretty sweet hobby! There would be lot of work put I to a guitar! No wonder they cost so much.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Those guitars are cool.
You should try to develop a unique body shape rather than using the strat or Tele shape.

There is a bloke in the shire called Fican guitars who charges thousands to do something similar. Though non fender shapes.
I think his pick up componentary is higher end. Not just single coil. Does pizzo type acoustic pick ups and electric and has two jacks coming out of guitar to blend the sounds

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sensational..I can smell that timber here..beautiful table..

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice one mate. Wht are you planning to print? You should post some pics.
Thanks mate. I will post some pics later on. I'm printing my own custom Street wear designs on blank fruit of the loom tee's.