News Dallin Watene-Zelezniak nearly quit the NRL before his mid-season switch to Canterbury

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As he fights to be fit for New Zealand’s international campaign, Kiwi skipper Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has revealed how close he came to quitting rugby league earlier this year.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak admits he felt like quitting rugby league altogether during a messy 2019 before regaining his love for the sport at Canterbury. The New Zealand skipper is racing the clock to be fit for end-of-year Test football after minor post-NRL season surgery on his knee.

He’ll meet with Bulldogs officials on Wednesday to determine if he puts himself forward for the Kiwis’ clashes with Australia and England.

If Watene-Zelezniak does return for the national side it would be a fitting reward, given his rebound from a tough early NRL campaign with Penrith to shine at Canterbury.

The Panthers junior spent almost a month on the sidelines as he considered an exit from the club in late May.

“I have a really good support network with my family ... without them I was ready to throw it in,” he said.

“I was over it. It was tough times. I wasn’t loving it and then I went to the Bulldogs and I realised why I loved the game.

“All I’ve really known is football but at that point of time, where I sat out from the club, it was pretty tough.” It was no coincidence Canterbury’s fortunes also took a turn for the better when Watene-Zelezniak arrived.

One of New Zealand’s best on last year’s tour of England, his slickness at fullback gave their backline something to add to Will Hopoate’s prowess at centre.

Watene-Zelezniak says beyond manager Tyran Smith, it was his wife who guided him in the direction of the Bulldogs ahead of other options.

“The fresh start for me was something I needed. It helped me a lot,” he said. “It opened my eyes a bit. I grew up in Penrith and have been there my whole life. It was scary at the start, I didn’t know what to expect. “I have two kids and a wife, I didn’t know what was going to happen and what was out there for me. I had clubs interested in me and I am very grateful for that.” Watene-Zelezniak’s left-knee clean-out comes after problems with his right knee last year, with the initial recovery time falling right around New Zealand’s October 25 Test with Australia.

The Kiwis meanwhile name their squad later this week.

“They’re going to give me any chance they can to play. It’s whatever is best for my knee, though,” he said.

“Any time I get to put on a black jersey I will take it but I don’t want to be taking a spot when I am only 80 per cent.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/41a5354ef1a3bed07e89b2c1e2d3a4f6

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He deserves to captain the Kiwis on tour but from a completely selfish point of view I hope he gets ruled out.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I'd be happy for him to get a deserved run in the rep arena, I'm selfish enough to want him to focus on getting fully fit and putting in a good preseason with the club.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very humble guy and was a big part in our change of form.

Hopefully the club extend his contract sooner rather than later.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Very humble guy and was a big part in our change of form.

Hopefully the club extend his contract sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't be so quick to extend his contract tbh, don't want to be stuck paying him big $$$ and then having to shift him around when he doesn't nail down the fullback position because he still hasn't learnt to pass a ball.

We already have a makeshift spine, we simply need to be more thorough making these kind of decisions moving forward so we don't end up in the same mess. Better options could also potentially become available, maybe even one from Sydney that grew up supporting the Dogs...I'd take him over DWZ all day at fullback even though DWZ comes across as such a likeable guy and leader.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to extend his contract tbh, don't want to be stuck paying him big $$$ and then having to shift him around when he doesn't nail down the fullback position because he still hasn't learnt to pass a ball.

We already have a makeshift spine, we simply need to be more thorough making these kind of decisions moving forward so we don't end up in the same mess. Better options could also potentially become available, maybe even one from Sydney that grew up supporting the Dogs...I'd take him over DWZ all day at fullback even though DWZ comes across as such a likeable guy and leader.
Even if not at fullback he would be a decent centre/wing option. I think he has a part to play in the side going forward.

I don't think he'll command mega dollars either.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Look who his manager is and then look at that managers son, fell right into place for us!

Wish him all the best as I've really come to like him at our club, even when he was at penrith he was a player you'd watch because he always went at 100%

Which player is that haha? Though you'd still have DWZ in your squad right at wing or centre right?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Even if not at fullback he would be a decent centre/wing option. I think he has a part to play in the side going forward.

I don't think he'll command mega dollars either.
Yh I agree he could easily play either of those roles and I'd love to keep him in the team, just think he will demand bigger $$$ with the view of playing fullback and we should sit back and see how things unfold a little longer.

I think he does a lot for things right at fullback, especially things like organising the defence, kick returns and positioning...but playmaking is just too big of a role for fullback these days and he really needs to improve his general ball playing if he wants to be a genuine topline fullback for us moving forward.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Given the indications in this article of rediscovering his enjoyment of the game at the Dogs, it makes even more sense that Jackson and co got into Brown's face after that targeted attack on DWZ. The guy is a leader, has the potential to be a talisman. I have no doubt they will try and lock him in.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t read the write up, but the title told me all I needed to know... Has been a real positive for us indeed, so have all the kiwi connections.. just need JWH on board to complete the 3 name hyphens then we will really have beast mode..!!!

Well done DWZ :grinning: definitely can captain my kiwi boys.!!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a great asset on and off the field such a leader

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I honestly can't remember a better signing for us.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to extend his deal, looks like the best of him is yet to come.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never heard of him till he played for us, there had to be something very wrong with penriff to bench this guy.
He oozes confidence in how he plays . No wonder our team have lifted

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needs to be re-signed.
Definitely a leader among the group, even after such a short time.
You can see the group is lifted by having him there and that they respect him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Never heard of him till he played for us, there had to be something very wrong with penriff to bench this guy.
I’m surprised you hadn’t heard of him but Ivan Cleary is what’s wrong with Penrith. He screwed the panthers, screwed the tigers and is now screwing the panthers again. Even Des would be proud of that effort!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has always been a cracking player, I remember when we versed Penrith in the semi's in 2014 (?) and after DWZ scored against us in commentary Gould said the following "Dallin is one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen for a long time", and Gould has seen a lot of players so thats a massive statement. Really hoping he can develop some playmaking skills.