Climate Change Protests

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem is, in the scheme of things there were really F all numbers...
Yep. 300k worldwide seems big until you realise there's around 8 billion people worldwide. Sydney had 80k people but there's over 4.6 million in Sydney. It's really a tiny percentage.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
That doesnt make sense. They didnt adjust the way they live because other parties pushed back against climate change? How would that stop them from living the way they want? If they believed in it why would someone not believing in it stop them from trying to make a difference?
no I meant they tried not kicking and screaming and it didn't work because there was too much money to be made, they pushed back on the carbon tax as if it was life and death

by IT I assume we are talking about climate change VIA carbon dioxide that happens because of industry burning fuels?, because to produce change then it needs to be a whole bunch of people making a personal choice for themselves, like almost everyone, so why not protest to make sure everyone knows its a serious situation?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Police brutality right there
Yep. Little do they realise that when police are holding them like that, they are more likely to hurt themselves by jumping around and acting like lunatics. They police are carefully and harmlessly moving them along.

Wahesh

Reaction score
btw anybody who mocks protesters is an idiot, first of all its a great chance to pick up chicks by acting like you care and it also is trying to put pressure on the leaders to save the world from sinking

its a win win situation
Bullshit. Protestors are like vegans... they're pests who nobody likes. I once tried to pick up a vegan at a rally. I told her that I'll stop drinking milk from cows but I'll need some sort of milk from another source. I suggested one to her.

It didn't go down too well!

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
yeah.. making money off the protestors who consume and utilise their products :tearsofjoy:
because they have successfully fought off alternative energy sources, even nuclear power cant get a look in Australia

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
because they have successfully fought off alternative energy sources, even nuclear power cant get a look in Australia
that's not stopping anybody from throwing their tv and cell phones out of a window and I dunno.. planting a tree or some shit

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Bullshit. Protestors are like vegans... they're pests who nobody likes. I once tried to pick up a vegan at a rally. I told that I'll stop drinking milk from cows but I'll need some sort of milk from another source. I suggested one to her.

It didn't go down too well!
you aren't doing it right, all you need to do is talk the truth about the world leaders being payed off by energy companies and affiliates to keep the current infrastructure in place and the women there will be impressed

people do all types of shit to act like they are good guys, like you go on 4 dates and tell stories trying to explain that you are a great guy but you can achieve 85% of that simply by showing up somewhere

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Show of numbers. It's a classic driver. People are more likely to pay attention to something if they see a large amount of numbers dedicated to it and while social media and news already reported a bit on climate change, this multiplied that by 10. More exposure means more focus and more awareness.

The downside is that you are right about division. Many people get pissed off by the protesters and end up going the other way.
True - but the numbers appear to be tiny and restricted to people (who at least on appearance) appear to be hard left activists/ideologues who support the protest simply because it fits the broader narrative that they perceive the world through.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
that's not stopping anybody from throwing their tv and cell phones out of a window and I dunno.. planting a tree or some shit
that is very miniscule when talking about climate change, but im sure they choose economical cars and want alternate energy sources

don't act like they don't care, some of these guys were lying down on the road, which is crazy If you don't care

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Go nuclear power or start a war and wipe out half the earth problem solved.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Show of numbers. It's a classic driver. People are more likely to pay attention to something if they see a large amount of numbers dedicated to it and while social media and news already reported a bit on climate change, this multiplied that by 10. More exposure means more focus and more awareness.

The downside is that you are right about division. Many people get pissed off by the protesters and end up going the other way.
I also think this thread is a reflection of the problems with the way the climate change debate has gone more generally.

Everyone picks their ideological side and then argues for it without trying to find any common ground.

The other problem is that I think it's fairly well established that many scientists are less than impartial when it comes to climate studies, so it has become very difficult (as a casual observer) to know who to listen to and who not to listen to.

I for one am willing to concede that the climate changes (I don't think anyone believes that climate patterns like wind, rain, sun, temperature or humidity remain static).

I'm also willing to concede that human beings have added pollutants to the environment throughout the last hundred years in particular.

The questions in my mind are:

- Have humans changed the global climate through emissions? How has this been tested given that it appears the global climate has changed for hundreds of thousands of years.
- If the climate is changing, what will the result be? Many people claimed we would run out of food but actually the opposite has happened (global poverty has never been lower), I also understand there have been fewer hurricanes/major storms in most parts of the world.
- Why have scientists consistently been wrong when it comes to forecasting temperature changes as a result of global emissions? Also, why does every forecast seemed to be biased towards warming instead of cooling - does this indicate that scientists are biased if they seem to all forecast incorrectly in one direction only?

Wahesh

Reaction score
you aren't doing it right, all you need to do is talk the truth about the world leaders being payed off by energy companies and affiliates to keep the current infrastructure in place and the women there will be impressed

people do all types of shit to act like they are good guys, like you go on 4 dates and tell stories trying to explain that you are a great guy but you can achieve 85% of that simply by showing up somewhere
You sound like you're speaking from experience.

How far will this intellectual talk get you?

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imagine if all the protesters helped clean up the streets and the Brisbane River.

Imagine if they lobbied their local councillor/s for more recycling bins and ashtrays.

Now that would be a real win for the local environment.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
that is very miniscule when talking about climate change, but im sure they choose economical cars and want alternate energy sources

don't act like they don't care, some of these guys were lying down on the road, which is crazy If you don't care
But every little bit counts, and isnt there apparently millions of people behind this cause?

You cant demand change if you wont change yourself first. Practice what you preach and all that.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw can we at least get some concessions from you people mocking the protestors so that we can make it clear that this is the situation and we can move forward in the discussion knowing that everyone knows

1) climate change is happening
2) worldwide burning of fossil fuel for 100 years has mainly caused it
3) the fossil fuel companies pay money to politicians specifically so they can help push back against the climate change argument

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
You sound like you're speaking from experience.

How far will this intellectual talk get you?
she ended it because I fucked up in the restaurant and ordered a large rump steak, should have ordered a salad ffs

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
But every little bit counts, and isnt there apparently millions of people behind this cause?

You cant demand change if you wont change yourself first. Practice what you preach and all that.
no that's not the problem, Greta Thunberg apparently sailed her ass over to make the speech and still people hated her

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
no that's not the problem, Greta Thunberg apparently sailed her ass over to make the speech and still people hated her
Thats because she was just the puppet

And she was rude

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
ffs so now they have to be nice?

trump is rude and they all love him
Well yeah. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. She is a kid who doesnt have the expertise nor the runs on the board to address leaders like that. Thats not how you win friends and influence people.

LOL... who loves Trump? All I see every day is Trump getting slammed on the news, facebook, twitter etc...