My carpentry project

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion about something I cant seem to recall, and I was talking about a bar table I was making from a timber slab and a number of people were interested in the project.

After several hours of planning and sanding I finally had my beautiful slab of raintree ready to be sealed. Unfortunately the slab was only about 14 months old, so I was not able to finish is with a varnish coating as the shrinking process which takes place as the timber ages would have caused the varnish to crack. So instead I gave it about 10 coats of linseed oil which will soak in nicely and protect the timber until i can safely expect it to no longer shrink. At this point i will coat it with a high gloss varnish.

The next step was to make the framework to hold the slab of timber. I used 70mm round steel for the 3 vertical poles, and 30mm x 2mm square steel for the horizontal pieces. All the welding and steel was then given a couple of coats of zinc spray to protect from rust, and 4 coats of hemmertone grey paint t to finish off.

I have finally finished my project, and I have to say I'm very happy with the result. It will be even better once I can finally give it a good lick of varnish in the future.

What do you think guys??
resizedtableimage3.jpeg
resizedtableimage1.jpeg
resizedtableimage2.jpeg

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That looks awesome. Lately I've gotten into DIY myself. I have gained an interest in screen printing T-Shirts using photo emulsion. . I didn't wana buy the expensive carousel press so I decided to make one myself. I've never been good at carpentery but with the help of YouTube and the right tools I managed to make a single color press using a 2x4, plywood, springs,eye hooks, door hinge and a piece angle iron..... gotta say I was quite impressed with myself knowing how bad I am at carpentery.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That looks awesome. Lately I've gotten into DIY myself. I have gained an interest in screen printing T-Shirts using photo emulsion. . I didn't wana buy the expensive carousel press so I decided to make one myself. I've never been good at carpentery but with the help of YouTube and the right tools I managed to make a single color press using a 2x4, plywood, springs,eye hooks, door hinge and a piece angle iron..... gotta say I was quite impressed with myself knowing how bad I am at carpentery.
Nice one mate. Wht are you planning to print? You should post some pics.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty nice mate! My mum has me making so much stuff these days since I have access to a machine shop and laser cutter now... CNC billet alloy towel racks with stainless tubing why not right haha

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty nice mate! My mum has me making so much stuff these days since I have access to a machine shop and laser cutter now... CNC billet alloy towel racks with stainless tubing why not right haha
Cheers mate. Half your luck! That would be awesome to have.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice job... now all you need is a beer and a parmi

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice job mate. Love a good live edge slab
Cheers mate. Yeah I agree. I think it works really well with the industrial style metal framework as well.

I finished the slab with 320 grit paper too, so its soft as silk. Even before I oiled it you ould catch a reflection off it!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That is fucking awesome.

I really want to do something like this. Was at Meatsock last year with a mate who is an Arborist and we were checking out these tables. The guy made them from the cross section of giant trees. My mate was quick to point out that trees that size had to have been obtained illegally but the guy said that they received coucil approval to clear these old hazardous trees from a farm and when they cleared them he decided to make furniture from them.

He sells each table for around $20k - $40k each.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have always planned to do stuff like this but I never get around to it. Best I've done is build a TV stand, computer table and bookshelf. But I half-arsed them. Actually, I full arsed them. For an example, my computer table is an Acacia panel from bunnings that I laquered and strapped some legs on.