Climate Change Protests

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The Labor government in Queensland approved Adani because their hand was forced by the federal election which you may or may not remember.

The federal labor government got absolutely wiped out in Queensland because Shorten pissed off the unions who wanted Adani to go ahead for the jobs benefit. Seeing the result of running AGAINST jobs, the queensland state government had to approve Adani or they'd be wiped out as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but people care more about their job and their livelihood than they do about climate change religion.
I think you'll find the Queensland Government expressed support for the project long before the election..... and yes, the reason for that comes down to winning seats/ elections.... but that just supports my argument, really. Why would any government support a false hysteria surrounding climate change for ideological purposes when it's only going to make it harder for them to win elections?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I think you'll find the Queensland Government expressed support for the project long before the election..... and yes, the reason for that comes down to winning seats/ elections.... but that just supports my argument, really. Why would any government support a false hysteria surrounding climate change for ideological purposes when it's only going to make it harder for them to win elections?
The queensland government supported the delay and blocking of the Adani mine until it become evident that they would be out of power at the next election if they continued to do so.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The queensland government supported the delay and blocking of the Adani mine until it become evident that they would be out of power at the next election if they continued to do so.
And my opinion is that politics in general these days (both right and left) are less about conviction and more about saying whatever is politically correct, which is a massive shame.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Australia contributes 1.4% of global emissions.

We could do everything you want and it would make shit all difference to global temperatures. But it might make you and other activists feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But you do realise what ACTUAL difference it would make? It would make an actual difference on regular australian's electricity bills by increasing what they pay. This would disproportionately affect people on lower incomes and people in rural communities already struggling to get by.
I suppose they could start public funding campaigns to raise funds for their power bills, but a large percentage of the people pretending to be concerned about their financial hardship right now would probably be too busy donating to greedy, rich twits like Israel Folau :P

You can be as snarky as you like, dude....I'll match you in that department if need be. It's not about feeling warm and fuzzy inside....and it's not about expecting this country to single handedly turn things around.....it's about trying to give momentum to a global movement which will pressure the biggest polluters by doing our part.

People are already paying more for their electricity than they should be anyway....in many cases being charged for power they don't even use.....the outrage doesn't seem to exist outside of the climate change debate.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I haven't denied that..... just pointing out that supporting action when it comes to climate change is not a convenient position for any government to take and I don't believe any government would willingly do so if they did not believe there was a genuine problem. What would be the point of supporting any form of climate action outside of the belief there is a very real problem? It's not as if doing so is a big vote winner....as recent elections have proven.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I suppose they could start public funding campaigns to raise funds for their power bills, but a large percentage of the people pretending to be concerned about their financial hardship right now would probably be too busy donating to greedy, rich twits like Israel Folau :P

You can be as snarky as you like, dude....I'll match you in that department if need be. It's not about feeling warm and fuzzy inside....and it's not about expecting this country to single handedly turn things around.....it's about trying to give momentum to a global movement which will pressure the biggest polluters by doing our part.

People are already paying more for their electricity than they should be anyway....in many cases being charged for power they don't even use.....the outrage doesn't seem to exist outside of the climate change debate.
I'm not trying to be snarky. I genuinely believe a lot of political activism (including climate change) these days is shallow and mostly about demonstrating to your social media followers that you're adhering to the politically correct messaging.

I can assure you that no amount of 'momentum' will get China to do anything China doesn't want to do. And the only way any real meaningful change will occur is if China agrees to stop increasing it's emissions (which by the way are going up at a rate of knots which the paris climate agreement allows for).

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Many were arrested, some - according to this report, we're manhandled.....how are we going "soft" on them?
Did you not see how police gently picked them up and moved them on? They didn't exactly rag-doll them.
What would you suggest we do instead? Lock them in a dungeon and leave them to rot?
Yes.
Give police power to shoot them on sight?
Fuck that... give me a flame thrower... I'll take care of the rest.
What they are doing may be inconvenient for people trying to get to work, but desperate times call for desperate measures.....if we don't make major efforts to influence policy makers to do something meaningful to address climate change on a global scale, we'll soon be up shit creek without a paddle. The science is solid on this. These protesters may be a pain in people's arses, but they are a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.
Guess what... these protests DO NOT change a thing! LOL if they think this is going to make the Politicians do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
In a decade or two the air will be so thick it will be like breathing in a thick shake and people's democratic rights are being pissed on by those who are funded by the taxpayer to serve and protect us, but no biggie....protesters are the problem. Nice to know hand wringing conservatives have their priorities straight...lol
I have a good view out to Auburn from my bedroom window.

You can see exactly where parramatta road and the M4 is because the air above looks like Los Angeles most days!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can understand why they're doing it. These sort of disruptions are the only way to draw attention to the issue.

It's the same with the Hong Kong protests. If they didn't do it then no one would know about the police brutality going on in HK.

They're raising an issue around climate change and about how big a problem it really is. Sure, they don't really understand it and neither does 99% of the population. I spent the last 5 years learning everything I can about climate change and I still don't understand that much of it. And yep, Australia only contributes 1.4% to the emissions locally (if you don't count the fact that Australian coal makes up over 30% of the global market but that's a much more complex discussion), but we also pollute more per capita than India and China. Like we pollute a ton more per person so we're telling developing countries that they should suffer more (or kill off their populations) so us and other countries don't have to be inconvenienced.

The point of the protests are to cause disruption to make people realise that there is a real issue. So the rest of the world may listen and the high total polluters (China, India and America) and the high per capita polluters (American, Australia and Russia) may start finding better ways to reduce emissions.

They're still annoying though.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I can understand why they're doing it. These sort of disruptions are the only way to draw attention to the issue.
Not being sarcastic here.

Really? Every day most western nations are bombarded by news media, opinion media, social media and corporates on the issue of climate change. How has there not been attention on the issue?

Also, this type of attention which generally involves unemployed far left activists will only serve to make the divide between peoples opinions even larger.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if they genuinely gave a shit, they would be adjusting the way they live as well as trying to create real awareness... not grandstanding on social media while waiting for a special date to kick and scream to get themselves on camera
no they tried that and it didn't work because the interested parties pushed back against the suggested global warming and climate change, my theory is they wanted to keep making money

they might be inconveniencing things but you know what else is an inconvenience? having to move your capital city because its sinking tbh, that like 30 years of inconvenience coming up for Indonesia

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw anybody who mocks protesters is an idiot, first of all its a great chance to pick up chicks by acting like you care and it also is trying to put pressure on the leaders to save the world from sinking

its a win win situation

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
btw anybody who mocks protesters is an idiot, first of all its a great chance to pick up chicks by acting like you care and it also is trying to put pressure on the leaders to save the world from sinking

its a win win situation
This conversation could be merged into the "How do you politely tell someone they stink" thread.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
no they tried that and it didn't work because the interested parties pushed back against the suggested global warming and climate change, my theory is they wanted to keep making money

they might be inconveniencing things but you know what else is an inconvenience? having to move your capital city because its sinking tbh, that like 30 years of inconvenience coming up for Indonesia
That doesnt make sense. They didnt adjust the way they live because other parties pushed back against climate change? How would that stop them from living the way they want? If they believed in it why would someone not believing in it stop them from trying to make a difference?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not being sarcastic here.

Really? Every day most western nations are bombarded by news media, opinion media, social media and corporates on the issue of climate change. How has there not been attention on the issue?

Also, this type of attention which generally involves unemployed far left activists will only serve to make the divide between peoples opinions even larger.
Show of numbers. It's a classic driver. People are more likely to pay attention to something if they see a large amount of numbers dedicated to it and while social media and news already reported a bit on climate change, this multiplied that by 10. More exposure means more focus and more awareness.

The downside is that you are right about division. Many people get pissed off by the protesters and end up going the other way.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Show of numbers. It's a classic driver. People are more likely to pay attention to something if they see a large amount of numbers dedicated to it and while social media and news already reported a bit on climate change, this multiplied that by 10. More exposure means more focus and more awareness.

The downside is that you are right about division. Many people get pissed off by the protesters and end up going the other way.
Problem is, in the scheme of things there were really F all numbers...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

yeah.. making money off the protestors who consume and utilise their products :tearsofjoy: