News In 10 years I'll be on a farm kicking back': Mitchell plans to retire by 30

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
'In 10 years I'll be on a farm kicking back': Mitchell plans to retire by 30
Christian Nicolussi

October 5, 2019 — 12.00am
Leave a comment

Latrell Mitchell has revealed ahead of the grand final he will entertain walking away from rugby league by the age of 30.

Mitchell is only 22 but has already represented NSW and Australia and gets a chance to win a second NRL premiership with the Sydney Roosters at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night.

While he says his love of the game will keep him motivated, Mitchell has no plans to play on well into his 30s like many others including retiring Roosters teammate Cooper Cronk.

"In 10 years I'll be on a farm kicking back," Mitchell told the Herald.

Advertisement
"I'll give myself eight years until I'm 30 and then see where I'm at. Cooper has got the mental capacity to keep going that long. I couldn't do it.

"It takes a toll on you. Starting at 18 [physically] you feel it from there. Your body does get used to it.

I'll leave politics to the people more educated in that area ... I'm educated in rugby league

"But I know the old fellas are cheering at the end of their careers, they've done everything they can do to set themselves up. I know they're happy, they're creating beautiful families and enjoy the rest of their lives. That's all I want.

"I'll try to buy as many places or investments so I've got the money there and then I can do what I want."

Advertisement
Mitchell says he will leave Sydney as soon as he retires and has no interest in pursuing politics despite his passion for equality and his very public stance at calling out racism this year. The level of abuse directed at Mitchell online has taken an emotional toll.

"I'll leave politics to the people more educated in that area ... I'm educated in rugby league," he said.

Latrell Mitchell. CREDIT:NICHOLAS WALKER

It has been a rollercoaster year for Mitchell, who produced one of the greatest individual performances of the season against Wests Tigers, played in the first match of the State of Origin series before being dropped and then finished as the competition's top point scorer and the Dally M centre of the year.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has him pencilled in for a centre spot for Australia's upcoming two Tests against New Zealand and Tonga.

Advertisement
"Accolades come because you play good footy, but if there's nothing left, I've still got footy, and I love playing footy," Mitchell said.

"I enjoy it and I get to play with some of the greats, your Tedescos, Kearys, Cronks, 'Moz' [Brett Morris]. Joey Manu I played juniors with and now I get to play in another grand final with him.

"Buying houses and setting myself up, that's the goal. You get to make money out of what you love. You can't beat it."

Roosters chairman Nick Politis knows Mitchell is destined to improve given he is only four years into his first-grade career. Should he remain fit, Mitchell will go close to playing 300 NRL games by the time he reaches 30.

"He's 22 and will only get better with age," Politis said.

He's got so much potential, he's just starting out on his journey to the top."

As for the question of how long Mitchell may play on for, Politis said: "It comes back to the individual and it depends on how hungry they want to stay."

Mitchell is signed until the end of next year and expected to sit down with Politis and the Roosters in the coming weeks to try and thrash out a new deal.

The interest in him was intense midway through the year with South Sydney along with Canterbury, who were reportedly prepared to table a $11 million 10-year deal. Newcastle is another cashed up club and closer to Mitchell's family in Taree

His preference, however, is to remain at the Roosters.

Mitchell has never been one to get bogged down with statistics and says "people who worry about stats are robots".

He told the Herald earlier this week he was supremely confident about the Roosters' chances against Canberra and declared "we can do things other teams can't".

WANTS TO RETIRE BY 30 I WONDER IF ARE 10 YEAR DEAL HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT LOL

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Watch him “take less” to stay! Yet clearly shows he won’t lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Foran is signed for a mill appox then Mitchell worth every cent the same .
Compared to Foran he kicks goals ,regular try scorer,dangerous from anywhere ,massive boot in general play and general x factor.
Special player and similar to Inglis in his dynamic .
Only see positives if signed him .
Bring him over !!!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id prefer their other centre Manu.. cheaper on the cap also

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Well if he wants to make as much money as he can in as little time possible (legally) then it ain't gonna be with the Roosters.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already talking retirement plans? He should be talking about getting back into the origin team and being the top player in his position.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if he wants to make as much money as he can in as little time possible (legally) then it ain't gonna be with the Roosters.
I hope we don't sign him, if we were to within a year of signing him he'll go walkabout.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the issue here lol? He doesn't want to keep playing at an age where the body hurts and wants to relax in his life so what's the big deal some people here are making?

Good luck to him as he hasn't done anything wrong so far

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As Mitchell says , the roosters can do things other teams cannot that is true, The roosters can be in the nrl comp with 'no salary cap ' other teams cannot

Last edited:

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
In 10years Latrell will be more than likely to be racing Greg Inglis in the Bowraville Cannonball Run with a gutsful of grog, scattering pedestrians and pets alike.
Toddy will go in to bat for him though if he gets in any trouble with the law.......Toddy is lovely like that.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they win tonight, you would NOT sign him.

What will his motivation be?

In his early 20s, guaranteed contract for millions, has already won premierships, origin and Australia reps...

He looks like the type that when he does sign his big contract, he will take it easy.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters players talking about early retirement? I wonder why???

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Pissy attitude on this **** fuck him

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching him in Origin 1 this year, you'd think he had already retired.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters players talking about early retirement? I wonder why???
Could he have exposed the roosters setup.
We'll pay you under value to fool the cap auditors but you'll have an investment property or two on us.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can't see him in league until he is 30, he just doesn't seem 100% committed to the game and you can only survive so long in a professional sport with that attitude. The pressures of the game just seem like too much for him.