Opinion Is Cronk better than Thurston?

Thurston vs Cronk - who is better?

• Total voters

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
both very different players in very different teams

cronk has always been in teams full of stars where hes mostly put in a good position to kick and control plays, has a big advantage of top players who mostly getting him in good position to kick, he has a brilliant short passing game, knows how to take the line on

thurston mostly been in teams that have had to scrap and fight to be in the games, hes probably had to do what hes done under tougher conditions than cronk has had to do, thurston has a never say die attitude

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cronk is more consistent and has built leadership into his game
Thurston has had few good games, but most of the time he couldn't or wouldn't perform if his team was flagging too far behind .

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And Cronk is leaving with success whether they win or not... JT hung around one too many years which shows that Cronk is more organised than JT. I wish I was as organised as Cronk. He’s pragmatic.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But 3 teams in 3 cons3ctutive grand f8nals with one common denominator
Jt excellent but Cronk on par for what he does to a team
Its no just luck Cronk has made with to 3 in a row with 2 different teams

Yep it’s not luck he has played for the two most over the cap teams.

Do you think he would have taken the titans to the Gf lol

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d take Cronk. Always liked him, a true general and organise everything.

Thurston has more natural brilliance and to his credit be harnessed every single inch of that.

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep it’s not luck he has played for the two most over the cap teams.

Do you think he would have taken the titans to the Gf lol

Fact: Roosters have never been caught over the cap.

Could Smith, Inglis, Lockyer, Price, Thurston take the titans to the GF?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Cronk is more consistent and has built leadership into his game
Thurston has had few good games, but most of the time he couldn't or wouldn't perform if his team was flagging too far behind .
Cronk kept the 2008 GF scoreline to a mere 40-0 when his team was flagging behind........

Would pretty confidently say that Thurston orchestrated more comeback wins for his team than Cronk ever has.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Both combined with Lachlan Lewis' defense equals Andrew Johns.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fact: Roosters have never been caught over the cap.

Could Smith, Inglis, Lockyer, Price, Thurston take the titans to the GF?

You have missed my point

Yes roosters haven’t been caught it is fact but doesn’t mean they are not cheating let’s be serious.

Claiming Cronk is better then Thurston because he took storm to title and then roosters is silly.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
^Yep. Measuring a player's greatness by how many premierships they have won is misguided IMO. You could be a ho-hum player who just happens to be "lucky" enough to fall arse-backwards into a club that has success due to legit or dubious means.
For example Mitch Aubbusson if the Roosters win today will be a triple premiership winner. He is a decent player but hardly an elite player.
Same goes for Cordner, JWH, (Friend and Tupou as well I think)- they may all be 3-time premiers today and I wouldn't call any of them elite when compared to others who never won a GF.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cronk is also better defensively than Thurston.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
JT as others have said, remove him from the cowboys and they lose to a top6 team. Remove Cronk from either team he's played for they can still win
Perfectly summed up.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There are differences. Thurston was a great five-eighth and brilliant halfback as well as perhaps the greatest goal kicker since El Masri. Cronk was only a brilliant halfback BUT... was always in a team full of stars. JT often carried the Cowboys on his own.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
^Yep. Measuring a player's greatness by how many premierships they have won is misguided IMO. You could be a ho-hum player who just happens to be "lucky" enough to fall arse-backwards into a club that has success due to legit or dubious means.
For example Mitch Aubbusson if the Roosters win today will be a triple premiership winner. He is a decent player but hardly an elite player.
Same goes for Cordner, JWH, (Friend and Tupou as well I think)- they may all be 3-time premiers today and I wouldn't call any of them elite when compared to others who never won a GF.
Robert Horry has won 7 NBA championships with three different teams, it doesn't make him better than Jordan!

Last edited:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It's difficult to compare the two.

JT is naturally a talented footballer and could think outside the box. And as mentioned above, we saw how many times he carried that Cowboys team.
CC is more of a structured player that has a great work ethic. He might not have many tricks in his bag, but the ones he does have, he absolutely nails them more often than not.