Official Top 30 confirmed and development contract

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are loaded in the back row now with junior talent and all on long term contracts. The more I think about it the less sense the Stimson signing makes.
Stimson is a solid NRL standard stop gap signed for three years, doubt any of these kids are NRL full timers within those three years.

Considering we are lacking in the front row and banking on potential atm he might even find himself in the middle in a few years if he wants to go that way.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stimson is a solid NRL standard stop gap signed for three years, doubt any of these kids are NRL full timers within those three years.

Considering we are lacking in the front row and banking on potential atm he might even find himself in the middle in a few years if he wants to go that way.
I’ll be willing to have a decent bet that at least one of Doorey, Pitovao or Topine is a full timer by the end of 2021. Stimson isn’t a bad player but just don’t think he was needed on a 3 year deal. I just hope he doesn’t become a road block for the juniors coming through.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ll be willing to have a decent bet that at least one of Doorey, Pitovao or Topine is a full timer by the end of 2021. Stimson isn’t a bad player but just don’t think he was needed on a 3 year deal. I just hope he doesn’t become a road block for the juniors coming through.
These guys need to take it upon themselves to give Pay no other reason than to play them. Stimson is a solid player and I think there are a couple other guys in team that are a bigger "road block" than him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
These guys need to take it upon themselves to give Pay no other reason than to play them. Stimson is a solid player and I think there are a couple other guys in team that are a bigger "road block" than him.
That’s true about them taking upon themselves. Just bringing in another player from outside doesn’t make much sense to me when as you say there’s already a couple more road blocks on the team.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s true about them taking upon themselves. Just bringing in another player from outside doesn’t make much sense to me when as you say there’s already a couple more road blocks on the team.
Yeah fair call mate, just think Stimson is the least of our worries in that department.
Like to see Renouf get some more game time, hopefully his injury doesn't impact too much of the preseason. These other younger guys would be good to see them step up. Watching a little bit of Topine highlights, looks like he is a big unit and plenty of skill. Haven't seen any of the other guys you mentioned.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah fair call mate, just think Stimson is the least of our worries in that department.
Like to see Renouf get some more game time, hopefully his injury doesn't impact too much of the preseason. These other younger guys would be good to see them step up. Watching a little bit of Topine highlights, looks like he is a big unit and plenty of skill. Haven't seen any of the other guys you mentioned.
I’m sure Stimson will do a job and he’s here now so it’s a moot point really. Renouf is the last player that needed a injury like that he looked really good at the end of last year and a full pre-season would have had him primed for a huge year. Hopefully he still can.
Matt Doorey will probably play NRL next year he had half a year of CCup this year and looked more then up to it. Hopefully Pitovao and Topine get plenty of CCup time next year and hopefully NRL the year after.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Healthy competition. There’s nothing better. You want every single player to know they aren’t an automatic pick (Yep even Elliot haha).
We were stale as fuck when Des didn’t drop anyone. If a player is good enough they’ll step up

Malla

Reaction score
I'll be honest - I do not see much relevance to this.

You have to name your top 29, but it does not need to stay that way till June 30. We had a heap of changes leading into the midway point of the season, and I will be expecting probably the biggest offseason in terms of player transfers.

So many clubs in turmoil wanting to let go of "overpriced" players, or deadwood.

Gold Coast, The Groncos, St Merge to name a few.
Agree.

Maybe they've just made the call they're not going to bother with other clubs dead wood and have a couple players that will be targeted from Nov 1 (ie. Lattrell?). Left one spot open for a potential mid-year signing but overall I am not mad at picking the squad. Just hope they have a strong off season in training and come back better next year. I like the idea of sticking with players that have come through our system - ie. Elliot, Lewis, Wakeham, Harper, Tass, Toomaga etc.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree.

Maybe they've just made the call they're not going to bother with other clubs dead wood and have a couple players that will be targeted from Nov 1 (ie. Lattrell?). Left one spot open for a potential mid-year signing but overall I am not mad at picking the squad. Just hope they have a strong off season in training and come back better next year. I like the idea of sticking with players that have come through our system - ie. Elliot, Lewis, Wakeham, Harper, Tass, Toomaga etc.
For the younger blokes - it's awesome recognition for them.

But the whole "1 spot open" is a load of crap. I am tipping their to be mass changes this offseason - which will lead to the NRL FINALLY introducing trade windows.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
For the younger blokes - it's awesome recognition for them.

But the whole "1 spot open" is a load of crap. I am tipping their to be mass changes this offseason - which will lead to the NRL FINALLY introducing trade windows.
Agree. WAY too much is being read into that 29 man squad as we will see

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree.

Kalache, a very talented Bulldog Born and Bred !!!
St Johns Eagles his junior club is a walking distance from Belmore sports ground.
Assuming we have lost him...Why ???
We still haven't learnt from the mistakes of picking up other clubs rejects at our juniors expense
So much for the bullshit...We will look after our juniors :rage:

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Britt is another. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a bench of Elliott, Britt and Smith next season with To'omaga and RFM missing out.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Healthy competition. There’s nothing better. You want every single player to know they aren’t an automatic pick (Yep even Elliot haha).
We were stale as fuck when Des didn’t drop anyone. If a player is good enough they’ll step up
Competition for spots is a bit of a myth tbh. No matter the sport, coaches will give preferential treatment to certain players.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Britt is another. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a bench of Elliott, Britt and Smith next season with To'omaga and RFM missing out.
Nothing against the 3
But aren't they Bulldogs Born and Bred...What a joke !

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Competition for spots is a bit of a myth tbh. No matter the sport, coaches will give preferential treatment to certain players.
Maybe certain players as they see how they perform at training every day and possibly bring things to the team dynamic we don’t see. I agree with a lot of what you say but not here. Competition between young players, especially forwards is critical. I am happy we made those fairly cheap signings. It’s not as though our forwards were dominating every week. Let them push each other

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe certain players as they see how they perform at training every day and possibly bring things to the team dynamic we don’t see. I agree with a lot of what you say but not here. Competition between young players, especially forwards is critical. I am happy we made those fairly cheap signings. It’s not as though our forwards were dominating every week. Let them push each other
Na I mean like a coach will always have a preference to a style of player and as a result that player will get preferential treatment compared to others.

Pay has showed this a few times with players like Elliott and Smith getting chance after chance despite some shockers while others like Ogden, RFM, To'omaga have been relegated to reserves for large periods of the season at the first sign of errors.

Pay is defenitely in favour of the stereotypical no nonsense hard worker and it's why we've continued to recruit the likes of Stimson and Britt. Our forward pack is looking very underwhelming next season if these blokes are favoured over the likes of To'omaga and RFM.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m sure Stimson will do a job and he’s here now so it’s a moot point really. Renouf is the last player that needed a injury like that he looked really good at the end of last year and a full pre-season would have had him primed for a huge year. Hopefully he still can.
Matt Doorey will probably play NRL next year he had half a year of CCup this year and looked more then up to it. Hopefully Pitovao and Topine get plenty of CCup time next year and hopefully NRL the year after.
Doorey played 5 Cup games this year.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Na I mean like a coach will always have a preference to a style of player and as a result that player will get preferential treatment compared to others.

Pay has showed this a few times with players like Elliott and Smith getting chance after chance despite some shockers while others like Ogden, RFM, To'omaga have been relegated to reserves for large periods of the season at the first sign of errors.

Pay is defenitely in favour of the stereotypical no nonsense hard worker and it's why we've continued to recruit the likes of Stimson and Britt. Our forward pack is looking very underwhelming next season if these blokes are favoured over the likes of To'omaga and RFM.
I know what you mean like when Des didn’t like forwards offloading. I think we will struggle compared to many teams even if To’omaga and RFM play. This is largely due to a couple of quite small forwards in the team. Coaches have always had favourites. If someone is absolutely killing it in reserves and first graders are struggling it will force his hand. Pay seems to prefer solid defenders over flashy types. Hopefully when we have money we can start recruiting a mix of both. I don’t think there were too many players like that on the market this year though