Oh How I Miss Grand Final Week!!

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Growing up as a kid all that mattered was hoping the Bulldogs would win the Grand Final, every year. I would ride every play week in week out in the hope the blue and white blood sweat and tears from the players would come with victory. The days when losses came with hurt and wins came with fist pumping excitement while singing 'You're Simply The Best'!!

As the seasons rolled on the anticipation of semis was in sight, and a sneaky vision of the playing out in my head of a Grand Final birth looming. We'd win one Semi Final and containing that excitement was hard enough, winning the Preliminary Finals even sometimes as underdogs, and suddenly I'd feel invincible like I am a part of it all because we were the family club and even though I didn't know a lot of my fellow fan counterparts I felt like we were one. What a feeling that felt like as a kid.

It's Grand Final week and the News Agencies didn't know what was about to hit them. #Excuse me", I would ask the guy behind the counter, "do you have blue and white streamers"? "Of course we do son" he replied. We'll, I practically grabbed the lot. He'd ask, "what are all those for"? And I would look at him with steel eyes and say "my Doggies are in the Grand Final and I am going to dress our house up with them". And so I did, streamers left and right, top to bottom all over the front verandah. Made up posters of players, printed team photos stuck on walls, whatever was blue and white, it got put up. Come into to the house, well enter at your own risk.

This week, Grand Final week and I have to admit, i miss it. Thinking back when all that mattered was winning a Grand Final and being a part of the build up knowing my team was in the Grand Final. I didn't have to care about interest rates, petrol prices or who was in Government. All that mattered was my beloved Bulldogs.

We won a few Grand Finals and I'd be running around the streets with my flag, we lost some and I'd be in tears. But the build up to what I recall as one of the best week's of my life filled with excitement where I will always remember how our club brought joy to mine and everyone's lives that followed the Bulldogs, that's what Rugby League does and so does following such a great club.

Let's stick solid and hope that these days of yester year can be re-lived.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm just happy if we make the Finals now. How times change... we'll be back tho :kissingheart:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need a GF win badly... not because it's been so long, but because we have lost two in recent times... the good thing is though that we are a proud club with a strong supporter base... just looking at the way DWZ turned up for us in his limited time here shows that we are ready for a return..

We may not have signed marquee players for next year, but the boys were ripping in for each other at the back end of the season and Canberra have shown that it's not all about having a sombrero

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think the players participating in the GF would be the most nervous people come grand final day. Nope.
The last time we made the big dance i was so nervous that to start the day i unknowingly poured cordial into my coffee in the morning.
It's that weird lovely feeling of excitement mixed with dread- like when your first girlfriend tells you she wants to go the whole way but you need to stick it out at some lame school dance for a few hours first.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need a GF win badly... not because it's been so long, but because we have lost two in recent times... the good thing is though that we are a proud club with a strong supporter base... just looking at the way DWZ turned up for us in his limited time here shows that we are ready for a return..

We may not have signed marquee players for next year, but the boys were ripping in for each other at the back end of the season and Canberra have shown that it's not all about having a sombrero
We need more DWZ types to get us there..

Canberra still have a great roster.. Theyve unearthed some rookie gems including CNK and all the pommy forwards..

Add one of the best hookers in the game, and one of the best 1-5s with Rapana Cotric Croker Leilua and CNK..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need more DWZ types to get us there..

Canberra still have a great roster.. Theyve unearthed some rookie gems including CNK and all the pommy forwards..

Add one of the best hookers in the game, and one of the best 1-5s with Rapana Cotric Croker Leilua and CNK..

Yeah we do, but, but if our spine has a good pre season, I don't see why we can't start next season like we finished off this season

They have a good roster, I wouldn't call it great... I think they are outmatched in almost every position by the Rorters.. potential to be great in a few years for sure

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We need more mongrel also. We are not as feared as days earlier.. but I believe we may be building to something special slowly an quietly. Should be there again in the next few years if not sooner. We can only come back. We’ve been down too long and up is where we are heading.

Where as the roosters An the likes have been on top so long there’s only one outcome ... and that’s a fall from grace..!! And we will all be able to sit back an enjoy seeing that happen :hearteyes:

Year of the DOG not too far away.!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need more mongrel also. We are not as feared as days earlier.. but I believe we may be building to something special slowly an quietly. Should be there again in the next few years if not sooner. We can only come back. We’ve been down too long and up is where we are heading.

Where as the roosters An the likes have been on top so long there’s only one outcome ... and that’s a fall from grace..!! And we will all be able to sit back an enjoy seeing that happen :hearteyes:

Year of the DOG not too far away.!!
Time to sign some English men?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are brewing for us, we will be back and boy will it be sweet

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Growing up as a kid all that mattered was hoping the Bulldogs would win the Grand Final, every year. I would ride every play week in week out in the hope the blue and white blood sweat and tears from the players would come with victory. The days when losses came with hurt and wins came with fist pumping excitement while singing 'You're Simply The Best'!!

As the seasons rolled on the anticipation of semis was in sight, and a sneaky vision of the playing out in my head of a Grand Final birth looming. We'd win one Semi Final and containing that excitement was hard enough, winning the Preliminary Finals even sometimes as underdogs, and suddenly I'd feel invincible like I am a part of it all because we were the family club and even though I didn't know a lot of my fellow fan counterparts I felt like we were one. What a feeling that felt like as a kid.

It's Grand Final week and the News Agencies didn't know what was about to hit them. #Excuse me", I would ask the guy behind the counter, "do you have blue and white streamers"? "Of course we do son" he replied. We'll, I practically grabbed the lot. He'd ask, "what are all those for"? And I would look at him with steel eyes and say "my Doggies are in the Grand Final and I am going to dress our house up with them". And so I did, streamers left and right, top to bottom all over the front verandah. Made up posters of players, printed team photos stuck on walls, whatever was blue and white, it got put up. Come into to the house, well enter at your own risk.

This week, Grand Final week and I have to admit, i miss it. Thinking back when all that mattered was winning a Grand Final and being a part of the build up knowing my team was in the Grand Final. I didn't have to care about interest rates, petrol prices or who was in Government. All that mattered was my beloved Bulldogs.

We won a few Grand Finals and I'd be running around the streets with my flag, we lost some and I'd be in tears. But the build up to what I recall as one of the best week's of my life filled with excitement where I will always remember how our club brought joy to mine and everyone's lives that followed the Bulldogs, that's what Rugby League does and so does following such a great club.

Let's stick solid and hope that these days of yester year can be re-lived.

Similar for me. I used to love putting up streamers and flags around the house and some on my car. I even use to decorate some public roads hoping players might see and adding to their encouragement for the big day

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I lived in Belmore when we won our first Grand Final in decades, back in 1980. I remember the bitterness of the Bob McCarthy intercept that stole a GF from us in 1967, and that just made the win so much sweeter. Belmore went wild - the streets were blocked with cars and fans crowding around the old Leagues Club, and right down Burwood Road - it was amazing, and the feeling was infectious.

Must admit, not having a team in the finals is better for my nerves these days. But I really miss the excitement of a premiership to brag about for a whole 12 months.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man if Des wasn't a stubborn ass prick and if the NRLOL weren't trying to rort us, we would have won at least one or both of the grand finals we made in 2012 and 2014.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lived in Belmore when we won our first Grand Final in decades, back in 1980. I remember the bitterness of the Bob McCarthy intercept that stole a GF from us in 1967, and that just made the win so much sweeter. Belmore went wild - the streets were blocked with cars and fans crowding around the old Leagues Club, and right down Burwood Road - it was amazing, and the feeling was infectious.

Must admit, not having a team in the finals is better for my nerves these days. But I really miss the excitement of a premiership to brag about for a whole 12 months.
That's the thing, we do it better than most but I don't know if it's just me or that the Dogs aren't in the GF but the hype just isn't out there on the streets. I've only seen one car with roosters flags. Personally I think the best GF that can happen when we talk about hype and rivalry is Dogs v Eels. The NRL would be rubbing their hands because that would absolutely go off!!