Opinion Is Cronk better than Thurston?

Thurston vs Cronk - who is better?

• Total voters

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is the same as the original thread except with a poll attached (@Gareth @COVENS mods feel free to merge).

So just who do you think is better?

Tagging all those who commented in the original thread:

@Moedogg @craigo @Dognacious @Psycho Doggie @coach @Spoonman84 @AlphaPapaBravo @Baby Blues @Howard Moon @silva @_G-Dog_ @utility half @Bozzo @jasonsmo
@Scoooby @doggieaaron @Kurrupt78 @Boxer @Straight18 @oldpuppy @wendog33 @GrogDog @Rodzilla @Dannyboi88 @The Innovator @Bulldogs09 @Precise @Motorhead @JUNKYARD DOGS

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Thurston has not always had the 5 star players surrounding him and he still made average players look good. Cronk has never really been put on that position and won’t now so I’ll take Thurston.
This here.
Another man born in 1984 sums it up in a paragraph!

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I agree with jt being better
But that’s rubbish, Cronk made 9 gf with 2 different clubs
U could also say why didn’t jt get his team to more gf didn’t even get them to 2........
And micheal Morgan won the cowboys the gf and was the better half that season
Yeah '07, '08 and '09 GF teams were cheating the cap- highly plausible that '06 was too. And the Roosters realistically are too.
Morgan won the GF for the Cowboys? Check out the last set of normal time and see who's never-say-die attitude even got the ball out to Morgan in the first place.
Cronk will forever hold the dubious distinction of being the maestro who oversaw a GF massacre that will never be eclipsed. 40-0....that's shameful.
Thurston: daylight. : Cronk.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cronk, he carried the Fraud Smith and Fraud Slater for years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
When people compare them in 20 years, no one will care about who went where. Success and legacy is measured in Premierships, not the quality of the roster around you
Most footy fans take all the factors into consideration.

Cronk not a patch on JT and just one of many star players in both his NRL teams. JT on the other hand a much more unique and gifted player IMO.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Close, they were about as good as each other early in their careers but Cronk was better late in his career where Thurston lost effectiveness.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Btw.
Once having played rugby league I can tell you nuffies (lol RIP Folksey) that a halfback is nothing without a half decent forward pack softening the defence!

As a junior before high school I was close to 6 foot and probably close to 100kg?

I used to run down half the defence.
Gave the rest of my team room to thrive and score trys all game long!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Btw.
Once having played rugby league I can tell you nuffies (lol RIP Folksey) that a halfback is nothing without a half decent forward pack softening the defence!

As a junior before high school I was close to 6 foot and probably close to 100kg?

I used to run down half the defence.
Gave the rest of my team room to thrive and score trys all game long!
Yep true that. Our pack in 2004 was one of our best ever. Mason, SBW, Price, Asotasi, Scott, Ryan, Grimaldi - they had it all.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most footy fans take all the factors into consideration.

Cronk not a patch on JT and just one of many star players in both his NRL teams. JT on the other hand a much more unique and gifted player IMO.
Not a patch in what way? The only metrics that I give to Thurston is goal kicking and a higher threshold for individual brilliance. Cronk is the better multiplier, he makes his team better and defensively, it's not even a conversation.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Not a patch in what way? The only metrics that I give to Thurston is goal kicking and a higher threshold for individual brilliance. Cronk is the better multiplier, he makes his team better and defensively, it's not even a conversation.
You don’t think Thurston made his team better? You’ve got it back to front. Cronk’s teammates made HIM better. He was clearly a better defender, you’re right about that much, but JT was the better player overall.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You don’t think Thurston made his team better? You’ve got it back to front. Cronk’s teammates made HIM better. He was clearly a better defender, you’re right about that much, but JT was the better player overall.
I didn't say that though, only that Cronk was a BETTER multiplier.

If that's the case, why didn't Smith and Thurston guide QLD to a win in 2014?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I didn't say that though, only that Cronk was a BETTER multiplier.

If that's the case, why didn't Smith and Thurston guide QLD to a win in 2014?
You can’t really blame them for losing one series amidst an era of total dominance. Sure, Cronk had one of his best ever games in a dead rubber in the third game..... but by that same logic you could ask why did Cronk lead his team to one of the worst grand final
Performances of all time in 2008 when Smith wasn’t there and he had to actually lead his team?

If Smith snd JT were responsible for 2014, surely Cronk was responsible for 2008?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 Grand Finals
Dally M Medals - 2013 - 2016
Dally M Halfback of the Year - 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016
Clive Churchill - 2012, 2019 :grinning:
Golden Boot 2016

/thread.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You know with a poll attached, you can vote, right?
There was no Fraud Smith and Fraud Slater option though.

But in all seriousness I'd probably rather have Cronk over an extended period instead of JT. Cronk was more consistent and I'd prefer his more structured game manager style of play as it's easier to find an explosive runner to play alongside him. JT was the better player though.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can’t really blame them for losing one series amidst an era of total dominance. Sure, Cronk had one of his best ever games in a dead rubber in the third game..... but by that same logic you could ask why did Cronk lead his team to one of the worst grand final
Performances of all time in 2008 when Smith wasn’t there and he had to actually lead his team?

If Smith snd JT were responsible for 2014, surely Cronk was responsible for 2008?
Of course you can, unless you're suggesting that the difference was the inclusion of Hodkinson and Reynolds..? They had enough talent in that team to win that series but JT was lost without the better Halfback.

Note I'm not saying Cronk is the better player, simply the better Halfback.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah '07, '08 and '09 GF teams were cheating the cap- highly plausible that '06 was too. And the Roosters realistically are too.
Morgan won the GF for the Cowboys? Check out the last set of normal time and see who's never-say-die attitude even got the ball out to Morgan in the first place.
Cronk will forever hold the dubious distinction of being the maestro who oversaw a GF massacre that will never be eclipsed. 40-0....that's shameful.
Thurston: daylight. : Cronk.
Obviously can’t read my very first sentence
Smart cookie

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
no way.
Cronk has only ever played in teams over the cap and full of superstars.
Thurston had the cowboys winning games even when he was the only player in the team.