News Folau case may send Rugby Australia broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Equally who would want to live in a world where your legal rights are able to be eroded by a corporate contract?
Last time I checked, corporations have to adhere to government's legislation, not the other way around!
Which legal rights do you think are being eroded? There's no provision under Australian legislation which prohibits private companies from formulating their own codes of conduct for employees to adhere to. I suppose you could mount a legal argument against a company's COC on the grounds of it being discriminatory, but I do not believe Folau can mount an effective challenge when it comes to discrimination. It's hard to argue he was discriminated against when he received a massive pay upgrade not long after his first public comments expressing his beliefs about homosexuality. RA is not discriminating against him on the grounds of his beliefs, it is expecting him to show a certain level of diplomacy when it comes to making comments on publicly accessible social media platforms which could generate a backlash from supporters and shareholders. It's hard to mount an effective challenge on the grounds of religious discrimination when, so far as I know, the bible doesn't advocate hellfire and brimstone preaching....so far as I understand it, the Bible encourages people to resist sin wherever possible and to spread the word about God's grace and the concept of salvation, but it also ultimately says judgment should be left to God.....I don't think it in any way endorses Folau to tell anyone that Hell awaits them. If he had made milder, more diplomatic comments about his beliefs, he may have been able to mount a stronger case. His post was needlessly inflammatory and RA has every legal right to ask its players to be more diplomatic.

There are certain things I couldn't say publicly without fear of potentially losing my job, too. This is nothing new. Companies have always been and still are entitled to set their own standards when it comes to behaviour of employees, within reason. I don't believe RA has asked for anything unreasonable in the eyes of the law or in the name of common sense. Folau was paid to represent all Australians and should have at very least, been more diplomatic when choosing his words.

Edit: @086 .... laugh if you like....But it's looking more and more like the court will support my view that Folau doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.....but don't let truth and common sense quell your perpetual sense of outrage over the so called mistreatment of your free speech false martyr. ;)

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I wonder how the decision to punt him is looking now!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Rugby in Australia has been a joke for a very long time now. But they have made their problems worse by getting rid of their best player simply because he didn't tow the political correctness line.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I wonder how the decision to punt him is looking now!
He played with them for many years and didn’t make much of a difference, tbh. They lost to much worse sides than Wales with Folau at the back.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Rugby in Australia has been a joke for a very long time now. But they have made their problems worse by getting rid of their best player simply because he didn't tow the political correctness line.
They clogged NZ without him not long ago. They haven’t lost anything by getting rid of him... except a pr headache

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
They clogged NZ without him not long ago. They haven’t lost anything by getting rid of him... except a pr headache
You don't think they lost anything by getting rid of a player who many (regardless of their political viewpoint) would say was their best player?

Come on champ - let's not get stuck on one side of the political debate and then use that side to deal with every argument we get into.

You don't need to be into politics to realise Folau was one of their better if not best players.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You don't think they lost anything by getting rid of a player who many (regardless of their political viewpoint) would say was their best player?

Come on champ - let's not get stuck on one side of the political debate and then use that side to deal with every argument we get into.

You don't need to be into politics to realise Folau was one of their better if not best players.
He was.... but they don’t really look like they are missing him, tbh. Results are about the same as they were before he was given the flick. Maybe the team is happier without him. They don’t seem to be playing worse in his absence. It’s not like there is a clear and tangible difference between the then and now.That’s not a political statement, it’s just a clear observation.

Their results so far this year look about on par with results over the previous few years. Great player, but it’s a team sport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australia_national_rugby_union_team_test_match_results

Last edited:

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
He was.... but they don’t really look like they are missing him, tbh. Results are about the same as they were before he was given the flick. Maybe the team is happier without him. They don’t seem to be playing worse in his absence. It’s not like there is a clear and tangible difference between the then and now.That’s not a political statement, it’s just a clear observation.

Their results so far this year look about on par with results over the previous few years. Great player, but it’s a team sport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australia_national_rugby_union_team_test_match_results
Yep it's subjective whether or not they are truly going any better or any worse purely because of him.

But you'd have to think that to at least some degree, any team that lost their best or second best player would have lost something.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yep it's subjective whether or not they are truly going any better or any worse purely because of him.

But you'd have to think that to at least some degree, any team that lost their best or second best player would have lost something.
Yeah, they probably are missing some of his strike power.... but he certainly angered some senior teammates, so maybe they are better off without him now.... also, sometimes when a top player departs, it motivates other teammates to step up their games. At the end of the day it’s hard to say one way or the other..... but I think RA has moved on.... and it’s still the same old mediocre wallabies.

Banned
Reaction score
Can we replace Elliot with Folau?
At least he will bring across christian sponsorship.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Can we replace Elliot with Folau?
At least he will bring across christian sponsorship.
Write letters to both the club and NRL administration and see how you go trying up make that happen.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

you obviously never heard of the ewing theory, there is a long list of teams who lost the best player and went on to do better

I remember explaining this before the 2014 season to doomsday people who couldn't handle that we let barba go, and we ended up making the grand final and could have won it with normal luck, so its a thing

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said they were shit with or without him lol
They should merge with NZ.... then they would be good... lol. I remember when they were as good as the all blacks and won against them around half the time. How times have changed!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said they were shit with or without him lol
At least it's a step in the right direction for Aus rugby.

How do you play AFL and not pick up a fucking kicking game?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
At least it's a step in the right direction for Aus rugby.

How do you play AFL and not pick up a fucking kicking game?
He was too busy perving on all those men in tight shorts...

#repressedmuch

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
They should merge with NZ.... then they would be good... lol. I remember when they were as good as the all blacks and won against them around half the time. How times have changed!
No thanks, don't want the AB's polluted lol

Status
Not open for further replies.