How Dogs (and other NRL clubs) can match the Roosters

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People who think clubs fill their top 30 with minimum wage players are kidding themselves. There are almost no players in the NRL on minimum wage.
If you pay minimum, someone else takes them. Simple as that.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Of course the figures aren't going to be 100% but they would be close according to market value and media reports. Perhaps you read more than I do and you can do much better. If so have a try. Some people on here suggest things that can improve our team. Others like you just sit on their arses and criticise every suggestion and complain about everything but in general do absolutely ZERO to improve our team. There's also a lack of content on here sometimes so we need more discussion - not less. If you don't like these post there's a simple answer - DON'T READ THEM !
I don’t think anything you have done has improved the team. You need to accept either the praise or ridicule for the things you post as it’s just an opinion. Stop stressing and leave the team makeup to the professionals at the club and just focus on enjoying the club that you follow

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is hard to believe they fit all these top players under a salary cap.

There is no way all those players are on minimum wage.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I will never believe the Rorters aren't cheating, NEVER!
They are cheating the cap, no question.
In any event the NRL salary cap is corrupted by TPAs.

The AFL has no TPAs & a draft and as a result they have minimum problems or negative comments about the AFL salary cap.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I never thought Politis would post on the kennel..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They are cheating the cap, no question.
In any event the NRL salary cap is corrupted by TPAs.

The AFL has no TPAs & a draft and as a result they have minimum problems or negative comments about the AFL salary cap.
I was going to make the same comment - why don’t the AFL have the same problems - such a smarter run organisation over the NRL.

The only alternative to the AFL system that I see are that contracts and salaries (abolish TPA’s) are handled by the NRL, not the clubs. So even the NRL would pay players wages and stop handing over so much money to the clubs. Surely there’s a precedent here - NFL?

Clubs can recruit as they do today and chase whoever and offer whatever they want - and they’ll know exactly how much they have to spend because the NRL also knows in an audited fashion. Then, when a deal is done, the NRL can rubber stamp it is OK or not. This might be the only alternative to a draft.

It’s the only way to stop the rorts that clearly happen today - then clubs can focus on coaches and tactics to win in the manner they should win - by being the best on the park - not being the richest nor having the most creative accountants.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t remember looking less forward to a grand final. The roosters are ruining the comp. When the NRL say players contracts will not be registered if they are well below market value then the roosters are simply cheating and there is no other explanation.

Also no dogs in the lower grades will make that lame ass Viking clap the most exciting thing about the grand final.
I’ll be at the game but will probably just enjoy the free beer and read the kennel instead of watching the game. Fuck Politis and the rorters

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
You dont even know our own clubs salary cap situation and who gets paid what (TPA's or otherwise), so how the fukk are you supposed to know other teams'?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously hope some club offers someone like Latrell Mitchell 1.3 a season. If he knocks it back then yes I seriously question TPAs and encourage some kind of secret investigation. I'm sure some of the player managers have big mouths and are willing to talk if you can catch one at a bar or if someone knows one personally but if you look at the figures the Roosters can legitimately offer larger or very competitive standard deals to all the players they choose to keep. They just do it different to most other teams. They focus on paying top dollars to several elite stars then scale down til they have most positions in their starting 13 covered then seem to rely on minimum wage type players for the rest of their 30. I read recently about the Sharks having a big proportion of their salary cap invested in just a handful of players so they do the same basically but the mistake they made was signing unreliable guys like Shaun Johnson, Josh Dugan, Aaron Woods as elite players on elite player dollars. Most clubs like us have the cap spread more evenly among the 30 players in general so we might be paying some players like 400K or over to play reserve grade. I suspect that would have been the case with RFM this year. Now what is a bigger waste of money - paying a guy 400K to play reserve grade and paying the ("decent" but not star) guy playing the same position in first grade 600K (so a total of around 1M for both players) or do you think it would be smarter to pay someone 1M who is one of the best players in his position / one of the best in the NRL who is unlikely to ever play reserve grade ? Yes we can always "hope" that bargain / average players will become elite but so do most clubs and often when they do they are just signed by the clubs willing to pay more for an elite player like the Roosters anyway. I remember a time when we used to do the same. I remember in the 80s when we signed already established star first grade players Peter Kelly, Peter Tunks, Terry Lamb etc in the one pre-season. Those players played major rolls in us winning the comps in the 80s. I remember when we signed Ennis, Staggs etc from the Broncos. They helped us build into a much stronger squad instantly and Ennis proved a great player for us for many years after. The point I'm trying to get across is I think we need to change our strategy slightly and be more like the Roosters by targeting several eilte stars - having 4 or 5 on 800K or above per season (but buy more wisely than the Sharks) then having the rest of our starting 13 covered on decent money then have the rest of the 30 on minimum wage only. If someone can't make our standard starting 13 each and every week they don't really deserve to be on anything higher than minimum wage. For example we recently re-signed Okonbur. I hope we're not playing him 200K or more to play reserve grade. Meaney yes he's a good decent winger but is he ever gonna be "great", same with Reimis Smith. We need a handful of genuine gamebreakers - players who can mean the difference between winning and losing a game on their own - players who can create a try from nothing like when we had Ben Barba. He got us to the 2014 grand final largely by himself (with the support of a decent team). I don't think Des had much do do with it though.

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can follow their blue print, get an owner who has MASSIVE influence over the NRL and MEDIA, also, start paying player’s family members from unrelated accounts.

Then, we can have a dynasty too

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course the figures aren't going to be 100% but they would be close according to market value and media reports. Perhaps you read more than I do and you can do much better. If so have a try. Some people on here suggest things that can improve our team. Others like you just sit on their arses and criticise every suggestion and complain about everything but in general do absolutely ZERO to improve our team. There's also a lack of content on here sometimes so we need more discussion - not less. If you don't like these post there's a simple answer - DON'T READ THEM !
Obviously u have not been on here long than have u.
I have thrown up a thousand posts on how to improve this team.
But your right throwing up numbers that the paper does and completely re organising our top 30 is something i should not read or discuss because its been done to death already and is just made up rubbish really.
Your right i like to read and talk about news.
Not make up fairy tales.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently read a thread about discussion by a sports journo on radio about the Roosters chasing both David Fifita and Tyson Frizel. I know it just seems totally ridiculous to most of us and even makes many of us angry but if you actually do the maths you can see how they could afford it as below say for 2021 and even still potentially keep / upgrade Mitchell, Manu and Keary

$1,000,000 Tedesco
$400,000 Tupou
$850,000 Mitchell
$650,000 Manu
TBA
$1,000,000 Keary
$350,000 Flanagan
$600,000 JWH
$450,000 Friend
TBA
$1,000,000 Fifita
$500,000 Cordner (plus $200K outside cap for long serving player)
$,800,000 Frizel
--
$7,600,0000 (11 players) +
$2,180,000 (19 players on minimum $115,000 wage in 2021)
--
$9,785,000 which still leaves a spare $115,000 on a 9.9M cap for 2021 (plus TPAs)

If the Roosters have and get to keep basically this team they're going to be winning or close to winning comps for many more years to come. Us and other NRL clubs need to do whatever it takes to prevent this. Instead of investing hundreds of thousands in average first graders we should look at doing similar - ie: having around 5 elite players at 1M or close to then the rest of our starting 13 on decent money but then the rest of the 30 squad on minimum wage. Success attracts decent young players looking to make a name for themselves and learn from the best in a top team environment so you would always have great future prospects coming through on minimum wage. We and other clubs need to bid top dollars for their elite stars whenever they come up for contract. If we don't approach them thinking "oh Uncle Nick will never let him go" then that's playing right into his hands. For every player the Roosters "want to keep" I hope us and other clubs offer at least 200K a season more. We need to push up their price as much as possible to put as much pressure on them as possible.
I'd do whatever it takes to stop them getting Fifita at least and from retaining Manu. We need a few "elite" players ourselves if we are ever going to match it with them to seriously win a comp. Mathematically it just demonstrates you can have more than a couple of players on 1M a season.

To match a team like the Roosters I think we need to essemble something like the one below and make some hard decisions by letting some of our more average players go - just like the Roosters do (I hear they're shedding Crichton).

Mitchell
Radradra
Hopoate
Ramien
DWZ
Foran
Cogger
Napa
JMK
Toomaga
Jackson
CHN
Fifita
Sorry brad u have been here a while. U should know i post straight to a point with no back and forth crap.
But if u read the post u put up again. You concede and quote that most of us will find this ridiculous. Your words.
Surely u new then u would get a few what the fuck replies.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never believe the Rorters aren't cheating, NEVER!
There's no such thing as cash money in brown paper bags anymore.......
The Roosters stick it in sports bags so it just looks like an athlete carrying his training gear.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The title should not be "How Dogs (and other NRL clubs) can match the Roosters", but it should be "the Roosters need to stop cheating so they can match other clubs!"

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby league is a dying sport, and teams like the Roosters, Melbourne etc..... who cheat the cap create an unfair playing field due to the fact they sign all the talented players and there's not enough talented players to go around.... the shit organisation running the sport need to either pull these teams up regarding their salary cap (we all know it will never ever happen) or decrease the number of teams... otherwise for the next decade at least the Roosters are going to win at least another 5 comps....