Thurston vs Cronk - who is better?

• Total voters

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
8 GF appearances..
3 Premierships
Countless dally Ms
On the verge of winning 3 GFs in a row..
Never seen him have a bad game and was always at his peak till his very last game ..
You can trust him to carry out a game plan and he never loses his cool when under pressure unlike Thurston who'd often blow up when things weren't going his way....
Probably never missed a finals series too..
Cronk>Thurston

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is one of the best ever! They are close to back to back because of him I think. He’s like an extra coach on the field! Go raiders tho fuck the roosters

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
8 GF appearances..
3 Premierships
Countless dally Ms
On the verge of winning 3 GFs in a row..
Never seen him have a bad game and was always at his peak till his very last game ..
You can trust him to carry out a game plan and he never loses his cool when under pressure unlike Thurston who'd often blow up when things weren't going his way....
Probably never missed a finals series too..
Cronk>Thurston
"Better than" is a hard one to quantify with 2 such players. Cronk has had more success than JT, but imo JT was a more dangerous player. If he had played for Storm or roosters instead of Cowboys, JT would have been as successful. So yeh i cant say who is "better"

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Better than" is a hard one to quantify with 2 such players. Cronk has had more success than JT, but imo JT was a more dangerous player. If he had played for Storm or roosters instead of Cowboys, JT would have been as successful. So yeh i cant say who is "better"
But 3 teams in 3 cons3ctutive grand f8nals with one common denominator
Jt excellent but Cronk on par for what he does to a team
Its no just luck Cronk has made with to 3 in a row with 2 different teams

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thurston has not always had the 5 star players surrounding him and he still made average players look good. Cronk has never really been put on that position and won’t now so I’ll take Thurston.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cronk is the best 7 the modern game has ever had imo he gets the best out of his team whereas JT competes for himself

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thurston has not always had the 5 star players surrounding him and he still made average players look good. Cronk has never really been put on that position and won’t now so I’ll take Thurston.
He did in Origin, which is where Thurston had all of his success... he only won the one premiership in the dying minutes as a starting half

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cronk isn’t better than Johns
In saying that though Cronk is far more professional than Joey ever was. Imagine the scary heights he could have risen to if he was as half as committed as Cronk was/is

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He did in Origin, which is where Thurston had all of his success... he only won the one premiership in the dying minutes as a starting half
Put Thurston in that Storm side and he would have had just as much success as Cronk. If you put Cronk in some on those Cowboy sides would he have done better then Thurston? We will never know unfortunately. Thurston has the runs on the board from doing that.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Put Thurston in that Storm side and he would have had just as much success as Cronk. If you put Cronk in some on those Cowboy sides would he have done better then Thurston? We will never know unfortunately. Thurston has the runs on the board from doing that.
one grand final win on the bell? I would like to think so

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s a whole different ball game when you’re not playing with a origin spine every week...
Yes I understand, but like I said, Thurston gets most of his recognition from rep footy, in which he was playing with that group..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Cronks had the luxury of much better players around him his whole career. And at much more professional clubs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand, but like I said, Thurston gets most of his recognition from rep footy, in which he was playing with that group..
He still dragged some bad Cowboy teams to the finals. It’s just unfortunate we will never see what Cronk could do surrounded by an average squad for a few seasons.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2014 state of origin
Game 1 - Cronk lasts for 10 mins NSW win
Game 2 - No Cronk
Game 3 - Cronk comes back and puts on a master class

Thurston has never won a minor premiership even with the star studded cowboys team he had in that period. Once Cronk went to the Roosters he made players around him better and help fufill their potential. Keary, Tedesco, Tupou, etc...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He still dragged some bad Cowboy teams to the finals. It’s just unfortunate we will never see what Cronk could do surrounded by an average squad for a few seasons.
fair point.. both players very influential and hard to say one is better than the other I guess.. all I know is, I'm glad to see the backs of both of them as of next week

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thurston is easily the better player..

Cronk is great player that has played in better teams to Thurston hence the better club record..

This Roosters team on paper is rediculous compared to other squads..