Roosters boss Nick Politis slams 'jealous' salary cap critics

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tedesco, Crichton, Morris, Hall, Cronk, Keary. Possibly 1 spine in Friend is local ( I don't even know lol). I'm sure there is others that aren't juniors/20's in the top 30....
add JWH to that list

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Roosters boss Nick Politis slams 'jealous' salary cap critics
By Brett Graham

Roosters v Storm Preview: Preliminary Finals
1 / FTQWB
Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis claims critics of the club's salary cap management are simply jealous of the Roosters' consistent success.

For years the club has had to put up with whispers from sceptics who joke about the club's ability to attract and retain a number of high-profile stars who would command a large salary on the open market.

It's resulted in jibes that the Roosters don't have a salary cap, but rather a salary "sombrero."

Politis, who's been involved at the Roosters since becoming a sponsor of the club in the mid-1970s, told the Roosters Radio podcast that the critics are simply envious.

"It doesn't worry me, it's just jealousy," Politis told the podcast.

"We manage our list and salary cap well because when you look at our players - we've got 23 players out of the current top 30 list since they were in under 20s. Therefore, when you run your salary cap that way, you come out with a much better result rather than buying from outside.

"When you buy from outside all the time, you tend to pay more.

"Of course we got [James] Tedesco and Cooper Cronk, but most of our players come from within. That's a much more efficient way of managing your salary cap and staying within the cap.

"That's the trick. But we've got that profile - the Eastern Suburbs high profile, high roller - so everybody just bags (us) and has a go at us because basically they're bloody jealous. So who cares? Let them."

Politis hit back at claims the club doesn't develop young talent, despite the fact the Roosters have signed the likes of Cooper Cronk and Angus Crichton in recent years.

Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis has slammed critics of the club's salary cap. (Daniel Munoz/Fairfax Media)
"If you look at our club, we've got everyone bagging us for whatever reason," he said. "We're very good at developing players. Someone was telling me today that out of our top 30 list this year, 23 players have been with us from under 20s and 18 have been with us from under 18s.

"That's 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds. To have 18 players in our top 30 to join the club when they were under 18 and 23 when they are under 20, that says it all.

"That's what we're very good at doing. Robbo (coach Trent Robinson) is very good at that too, developing players. That's why we manage to have a good squad and a good list."

The cracks are starting to appear lol.
A few questions should have of been raised a few weeks ago when television cameras went into the roosters dressing room at full time. There was Politis, Greenberg and Robinson standing all looking like they have set the stage for a roosters GF. Need an investigation into this and I am sure something with be uncovered.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
By the logic of big Nick that would mean the Storm were well under the cap in 2008. Unlike his team of 2019 the Storms big guns were all bought in before they became stars and therefore were all on less money? Trouble is they weren't. Not long ago the Chooks had Pearce and Cronk and wanted Pearce to stay so he could learn off Cronk. Great work fitting Pearce, Keary and Cronk under the cap as well as the others.

Most teams are lucky to be able to fit one top halves player in the team but they had three. Must weaken the other positions , surely? Manu and Mitchell in the centres , no worries.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
By the logic of big Nick that would mean the Storm were well under the cap in 2008. Unlike his team of 2019 the Storms big guns were all bought in before they became stars and therefore were all on less money? Trouble is they weren't. Not long ago the Chooks had Pearce and Cronk and wanted Pearce to stay so he could learn off Cronk. Great work fitting Pearce, Keary and Cronk under the cap as well as the others.

Most teams are lucky to be able to fit one top halves player in the team but they had three. Must weaken the other positions , surely? Manu and Mitchell in the centres , no worries.
Good point. Total joke and fans of our game from almost ALL other teams are getting restless and sick of the obvious systemic favouritism and shonkiness of NRL heirachy and Rorters. Nobody likes them and the penultimate status of the GF is lessened and besmirched by their cheating dominance. Falling crowds and disinterest amongst the league public, will tell the story and demand change and accountability by Greenberg and Co to investigate and review the sc and tpa's...NRL managing all player payments is probably a good idea.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
And uncle nic never cracks...... for some reason something has got to him.
Would not be surprised if something is about to come crashing down at roosters.
Would love nothing more then to see that bubble burst BUT I suspect if that rabbit warren was opened we would find out they have been cheating for decades and the comp wouldn't survive. It would mean every premiership taken back and along with the Storms efforts most GF's have been a farce. No-way the integrity of the sport survives and only the NRL completely folding and a new competition started under different people would be the way forward. They would lose so many fans I don't think it recovers and this is why I think they will never be investigated with any legitimacy.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
East ain’t have a junior based 2 registered clubs and they have to play in the Souths district comp they don’t have any locals to pick it was like that for years the junior league all round Sydney have dropped bad numbers wise

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
“Knock, Knock”

“Who’s there?”

“Salary cap auditors for Uncle Nick, quick hide the second set of books”
"knock knock"

"whos there"

"its the salary cap auditor"

"salary cap auditor who?"

"salary cap auditor Richard Gardham"

"ok and what do you do?"

"I replaced Ian Schubert"

"Ian who?"

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The green eyed monster of envy, if he is doing something wrong the NRL haven't been able to find it.
They do run a successful club, the fookers keep rising above.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The green eyed monster of envy, if he is doing something wrong the NRL haven't been able to find it.
They do run a successful club, the fookers keep rising above.
do you honestly think the softcocks at the NRL have the balls to go after Nick? lol

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
do you honestly think the softcocks at the NRL have the balls to go after Nick? lol
They have sunk Canterbury and Melbourne in the past, I don't think Nick is getting a free run to snatch Premierships but you gotta wonder why they always have a sick roster.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They have sunk Canterbury and Melbourne in the past, I don't think Nick is getting a free run to snatch Premierships but you gotta wonder why they always have a sick roster.
yeah you know what... maybe they are under the cap.... but then there are third fourth firth sixth and seventh parties...

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can we actually do a breakdown of what these players would roughly command? Just off the top of my head.

Tedesco - $1 million
Cronk - $1 million
Keary - $750,000
Morris - $400,000
Tupou - $600,000
Latrell - $700,000
Crichton - $500,000
Boyd - $800,000
Friend - $700,000
JWH - $700,000
Aubusson - $450,000

$7.6 million on just 11 players, leaving $2.4 million for the remaining 19? Or $126,000 each. What type of witch craft is this.

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps 19 players families get significantly discounted cars.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Manu and Radley wouldn't be on chump change either.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If certain players aren't receiving dodgy payments outside the cap at the roosters I would be flabbergasted. As we all know....there are a million and one ways to skirt the Salary Joke and with the connections available to Uncle Nick it would be child's play. The only way they will ever get caught is if (as in the case of the Dogs) someone dobs them in. And why would you if you are getting looked after?

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
roosters are the masters of brown paper bags, apartments, big $$$$ hole golf days

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Perhaps 19 players families get significantly discounted cars.
Family of Roosters players they want to recruit: “How much for that 2019 Ford Focus?”
Uncle Nick: “$250,000”
“What!?! I’m not paying you $250,000 for that car!”
Uncle Nick: “No, that’s how much we give you to take the car”