How Dogs (and other NRL clubs) can match the Roosters

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently read a thread about discussion by a sports journo on radio about the Roosters chasing both David Fifita and Tyson Frizel. I know it just seems totally ridiculous to most of us and even makes many of us angry but if you actually do the maths you can see how they could afford it as below say for 2021 and even still potentially keep / upgrade Mitchell, Manu and Keary

$1,000,000 Tedesco
$400,000 Tupou
$850,000 Mitchell
$650,000 Manu
TBA
$1,000,000 Keary
$350,000 Flanagan
$600,000 JWH
$450,000 Friend
TBA
$1,000,000 Fifita
$500,000 Cordner (plus $200K outside cap for long serving player)
$,800,000 Frizel
--
$7,600,0000 (11 players) +
$2,180,000 (19 players on minimum $115,000 wage in 2021)
--
$9,785,000 which still leaves a spare $115,000 on a 9.9M cap for 2021 (plus TPAs)

If the Roosters have and get to keep basically this team they're going to be winning or close to winning comps for many more years to come. Us and other NRL clubs need to do whatever it takes to prevent this. Instead of investing hundreds of thousands in average first graders we should look at doing similar - ie: having around 5 elite players at 1M or close to then the rest of our starting 13 on decent money but then the rest of the 30 squad on minimum wage. Success attracts decent young players looking to make a name for themselves and learn from the best in a top team environment so you would always have great future prospects coming through on minimum wage. We and other clubs need to bid top dollars for their elite stars whenever they come up for contract. If we don't approach them thinking "oh Uncle Nick will never let him go" then that's playing right into his hands. For every player the Roosters "want to keep" I hope us and other clubs offer at least 200K a season more. We need to push up their price as much as possible to put as much pressure on them as possible.
I'd do whatever it takes to stop them getting Fifita at least and from retaining Manu. We need a few "elite" players ourselves if we are ever going to match it with them to seriously win a comp. Mathematically it just demonstrates you can have more than a couple of players on 1M a season.

To match a team like the Roosters I think we need to essemble something like the one below and make some hard decisions by letting some of our more average players go - just like the Roosters do (I hear they're shedding Crichton).

Mitchell
Radradra
Hopoate
Ramien
DWZ
Foran
Cogger
Napa
JMK
Toomaga
Jackson
CHN
Fifita

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is TPAs... like what do our players get? kebabs? meanwhile Roosters players, Souths etc...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roosters are smart but they also have had a bit of luck along the way. Their golden period won't last forever.

While the Roosters have been smart plenty of other clubs have been dumb and this has helped them out greatly.

The Bulldogs, Broncos, Eels, Dragons and Manly have all been shooting themselves in foot for the last five years while everything the Roosters touch turn to gold.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anything can happen in sport... Any team can beat any team on the day.

The right tactics along with some luck can swing any game so having a good enough squad is all that matters, trying to match the quality is important but not always necessary.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And too many people. Too many.
Under estimate the value of a top quality coach imo. Lets hope deano is learning fast.
No team like roosters (apart from melbourne) are as good as using there players to there best strenghs.
Good coach that robinson. The roosters were always on the right path but gee there polished now robinson has been there for a few years.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Roosters are smart but they also have had a bit of luck along the way. Their golden period won't last forever.

While the Roosters have been smart plenty of other clubs have been dumb and this has helped them out greatly.

The Bulldogs, Broncos, Eels, Dragons and Manly have all been shooting themselves in foot for the last five years while everything the Roosters touch turn to gold.
They’ve been lucky that they’ve had Mitchell and Manu come up at the same time whilst still on their rookie deals which has meant they’ve been able to put the money else where and creat this so called super team. Everything will change after next year when those two come off contract.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The roosters in general are the problem lol.. !!

Let’s just hope they get beaten tonight.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the salary cap auditor is making up sums again.
Of course the figures aren't going to be 100% but they would be close according to market value and media reports. Perhaps you read more than I do and you can do much better. If so have a try. Some people on here suggest things that can improve our team. Others like you just sit on their arses and criticise every suggestion and complain about everything but in general do absolutely ZERO to improve our team. There's also a lack of content on here sometimes so we need more discussion - not less. If you don't like these post there's a simple answer - DON'T READ THEM !

Last edited:

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I recently read a thread about discussion by a sports journo on radio about the Roosters chasing both David Fifita and Tyson Frizel. I know it just seems totally ridiculous to most of us and even makes many of us angry but if you actually do the maths you can see how they could afford it as below say for 2021 and even still potentially keep / upgrade Mitchell, Manu and Keary

$1,000,000 Tedesco
$400,000 Tupou
$850,000 Mitchell
$650,000 Manu
TBA
$1,000,000 Keary
$350,000 Flanagan
$600,000 JWH
$450,000 Friend
TBA
$1,000,000 Fifita
$500,000 Cordner (plus $200K outside cap for long serving player)
$,800,000 Frizel
--
$7,600,0000 (11 players) +
$2,180,000 (19 players on minimum $115,000 wage in 2021)
--
$9,785,000 which still leaves a spare $115,000 on a 9.9M cap for 2021 (plus TPAs)

If the Roosters have and get to keep basically this team they're going to be winning or close to winning comps for many more years to come. Us and other NRL clubs need to do whatever it takes to prevent this. Instead of investing hundreds of thousands in average first graders we should look at doing similar - ie: having around 5 elite players at 1M or close to then the rest of our starting 13 on decent money but then the rest of the 30 squad on minimum wage. Success attracts decent young players looking to make a name for themselves and learn from the best in a top team environment so you would always have great future prospects coming through on minimum wage. We and other clubs need to bid top dollars for their elite stars whenever they come up for contract. If we don't approach them thinking "oh Uncle Nick will never let him go" then that's playing right into his hands. For every player the Roosters "want to keep" I hope us and other clubs offer at least 200K a season more. We need to push up their price as much as possible to put as much pressure on them as possible.
I'd do whatever it takes to stop them getting Fifita at least and from retaining Manu. We need a few "elite" players ourselves if we are ever going to match it with them to seriously win a comp. Mathematically it just demonstrates you can have more than a couple of players on 1M a season.

To match a team like the Roosters I think we need to essemble something like the one below and make some hard decisions by letting some of our more average players go - just like the Roosters do (I hear they're shedding Crichton).

Mitchell
Radradra
Hopoate
Ramien
DWZ
Foran
Cogger
Napa
JMK
Toomaga
Jackson
CHN
Fifita
Forgot Reimis Smith he is the best winger we have especially in scoring tries in a team that can’t score tries

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah we can easily, its called heaps of undocumented cash $$$$$$$$$

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How can the Bulldogs and other clubs catch the Roosters & Storm?

Answer: Wait for Politis, Bellamy & Cam Smith to retire