Roosters boss Nick Politis slams 'jealous' salary cap critics

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Roosters boss Nick Politis slams 'jealous' salary cap critics
By Brett Graham

Roosters v Storm Preview: Preliminary Finals
1 / FTQWB
Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis claims critics of the club's salary cap management are simply jealous of the Roosters' consistent success.

For years the club has had to put up with whispers from sceptics who joke about the club's ability to attract and retain a number of high-profile stars who would command a large salary on the open market.

It's resulted in jibes that the Roosters don't have a salary cap, but rather a salary "sombrero."

Politis, who's been involved at the Roosters since becoming a sponsor of the club in the mid-1970s, told the Roosters Radio podcast that the critics are simply envious.

"It doesn't worry me, it's just jealousy," Politis told the podcast.

"We manage our list and salary cap well because when you look at our players - we've got 23 players out of the current top 30 list since they were in under 20s. Therefore, when you run your salary cap that way, you come out with a much better result rather than buying from outside.

"When you buy from outside all the time, you tend to pay more.

"Of course we got [James] Tedesco and Cooper Cronk, but most of our players come from within. That's a much more efficient way of managing your salary cap and staying within the cap.

"That's the trick. But we've got that profile - the Eastern Suburbs high profile, high roller - so everybody just bags (us) and has a go at us because basically they're bloody jealous. So who cares? Let them."

Politis hit back at claims the club doesn't develop young talent, despite the fact the Roosters have signed the likes of Cooper Cronk and Angus Crichton in recent years.

Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis has slammed critics of the club's salary cap. (Daniel Munoz/Fairfax Media)
"If you look at our club, we've got everyone bagging us for whatever reason," he said. "We're very good at developing players. Someone was telling me today that out of our top 30 list this year, 23 players have been with us from under 20s and 18 have been with us from under 18s.

"That's 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds. To have 18 players in our top 30 to join the club when they were under 18 and 23 when they are under 20, that says it all.

"That's what we're very good at doing. Robbo (coach Trent Robinson) is very good at that too, developing players. That's why we manage to have a good squad and a good list."

The cracks are starting to appear lol.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Right right, so because 20 of their players started out with them, that's the reason is it? They are paying those players peanuts are they? LOL.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tedesco, Crichton, Morris, Hall, Cronk, Keary. Possibly 1 spine in Friend is local ( I don't even know lol). I'm sure there is others that aren't juniors/20's in the top 30....

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah sure. Just coz they're juniors they sign extended contracts for fuck all amd knock back huge money deals from rival clubs because they're juniors. hahaha.

This is a little of how it works at roosters.... buy blake Fergusson for $200k coz he was a bad boy at the time and they threw him a lifeline. Furgusson leaves the club and Roosters buy Brett Morris and Ryan Hall with the money Furgo was on, in the papers it will say "roosters free up $1mil with departure of gun winger

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks like a rorter lol, suits his roll :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you all are genuflecting when you refer to his High Eminence. /genuflect

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah sure they pay their younger players peanuts. I distinctly remember at Crest one day when Klemmer who signed with the Dogs as a fifteen year old was playing either Matts or Ball for us that it was mentioned the Rorters wanted him and wanted him bad and were offering insane money to try to lure him over. I am talking big first grade money here high 6 figure numbers.

So full of it are the Roosters. If they are so damned good why can't they field a stand alone Canterbury Cup side? They have not done that for many years. Currently affiliated with the Bears, in the past Newtown. Still remember that dick with the giggity giggity banner at their games ..........

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How quickly was Tedesco's third party payment issue swept under the rug?

Roosters are a very well run club. Our roster would be insane if Politis was working at the Bulldogs.

We'd probably have a spine of:

1. Tedesco
6. Foran
7. Cronk
9. Cook

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His mate John Singleton just gave him up on the Matty Johns podcast said in more or less words players get their contracts topped up by outside sponsors. Nothing to see here.....what a fucking joke the NRL are probably already know about it.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His mate John Singleton just gave him up on the Matty Johns podcast said in more or less words players get their contracts topped up by outside sponsors. Nothing to see here.....what a fucking joke the NRL are probably already know about it.
And uncle nic never cracks...... for some reason something has got to him.
Would not be surprised if something is about to come crashing down at roosters.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“Knock, Knock”

“Who’s there?”

“Salary cap auditors for Uncle Nick, quick hide the second set of books”

Banned
Reaction score
Be beautiful to see them go down, just hope it goes down big time when it does.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Delusional old **** everyone can see the club has been rorting it for years.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I hope you all are genuflecting when you refer to his High Eminence. /genuflect
Your mate Uncle Nick will get down on his knees and lick dog shit off my shoes before I genuflect to the senile old fuck!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your mate Uncle Nick will get down on his knees and lick dog shit off my shoes before I genuflect to the senile old fuck!
You mean uncle Nick will "genuflect" and lick dog shit off your shoes! Lol....

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uncle Nick is the hoity-toity of the NRL!