Opinion Pre season training.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been sitting going through the ins and outs of the past two seasons under Deano. Our boys seemed unfit and a second or so off the pace for the first half of both seasons. We do however look fit and a chance in most games in the second half, and almost unbeatableI in the last quarter. I read that not only did Deano do his apprenticeship under Storm and Raiders but also under Gould back in the Roosters days when he was coaching director and Stuart was coaching.

What are your thoughts on our pre seasons, do you think we train hard enough?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been sitting going through the ins and outs of the past two seasons under Deano. Our boys seemed unfit and a second or so off the pace for the first half of both seasons. We do however look fit and a chance in most games in the second half, and almost unbeatableI in the last quarter. I read that not only did Deano do his apprenticeship under Storm and Raiders but also under Gould back in the Roosters days when he was coaching director and Stuart was coaching.

What are your thoughts on our pre seasons, do you think we train hard enough?
Blowarse! lol

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Iv noticed that also. I think it’s a great thing! If we can nab our fair share of games in the 1st half of the season, we are easily finishing on the top of teams in the 2nd half of the season. No reason to go all out in the 1st half and be cooked by around 20

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our preseasons have been terrible under Pay imo, far too many things aren't anywhere near good enough. Like you said we don't look fit enough, a huge chunk of the season is spent changing lineups and we just generally look like we don't have much of a clue on the field.

Do we still only have the one trial lined up again? It's also against fucking Canberra like always.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the preseason is a massive balancing act! Overdo it and they are flat towards the middle/end of the year. Do it too easy and they may struggle to start the year. It's also not so easy as finding a middle ground between the two. There are many different players within the team that require a different approach to their training regime, and every year there is an influx of new players to manage as well.
Yes, it probably does appear that dean may have underprepared, but for me it's not so black and white. In fa t if we had a better lineup there is every chance we could have won a few more of those close games at the beginning of the year and things would have been very different.
The teams that always start well, like melbourne, have a core group of elite players that know exactly what it takes to produce greatness week in week out, year after year, and this makes Bellamys job so much easier!!! Oay has not had this to date, and is trying to work out his perfect approach. But I agree our starts have been very poor. Our mad monday and big papi distractions didn't help this year. Let's just hope it improves drastically this year.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teams like Melbourne, Roosters and Raiders train their asses off in the preseason as do their coach. Manly under Des this year didn’t stop training after the season and went straight into pre season training, they looked and were def more fit than us.. All the teams that are in the top eight spoke of the pre season from hell.. We need that this season or we will finish bottom 8 again..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the preseason is a massive balancing act! Overdo it and they are flat towards the middle/end of the year. Do it too easy and they may struggle to start the year. It's also not so easy as finding a middle ground between the two. There are many different players within the team that require a different approach to their training regime, and every year there is an influx of new players to manage as well.
Yes, it probably does appear that dean may have underprepared, but for me it's not so black and white. In fa t if we had a better lineup there is every chance we could have won a few more of those close games at the beginning of the year and things would have been very different.
The teams that always start well, like melbourne, have a core group of elite players that know exactly what it takes to produce greatness week in week out, year after year, and this makes Bellamys job so much easier!!! Oay has not had this to date, and is trying to work out his perfect approach. But I agree our starts have been very poor. Our mad monday and big papi distractions didn't help this year. Let's just hope it improves drastically this year.
What you're talking about is probably related more with managing training schedules over the entire season rather than just focusing on preseason.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We came home strong whilst other teams faded. They should send applications to the Kennel for strength and conditioning staff

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They looked good off the field prior to season commence so maybe they need more work in key areas... because they definitely did not look up to it at the beginning of the season

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We came home strong whilst other teams faded. They should send applications to the Kennel for strength and conditioning staff
Lol, are you actually going to try and spin things and act like or conditining was good?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think it's a mix of players taking responsibility for their condition and fitness and the club taking the trials a little bit more seriously. Realistically from what I can tell our genuine FG players had half a game trial this preseason (and they looked awesome) and that was it. I understand that Pay needed to try different combo's last year but we should be heading into trials next year with a genuine FG team in mind and play them. It's a delicate act as you don't want to risk injury but we were not battle hardened in time for season start and it took us half a season to get there.

I have always been a fan of the military boot camp type pre-season smashing's having come from that background and I think it's something we should do. Send them away to Tully or Canungra under Army PT instructors for about 5 days to make men out of them. They are great for a different type of training, learning hardship (especially if it's a place that rains a lot), appreciating something bigger then yourself and the comradery that it builds is second to none.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol, are you actually going to try and spin things and act like or conditining was good?
Not at all but we were looking pretty fit at the end of the season in comparison to a lot of others. Hopefully we start earlier next season

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not at all but we were looking pretty fit at the end of the season in comparison to a lot of others. Hopefully we start earlier next season
Guess we will see next season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What you're talking about is probably related more with managing training schedules over the entire season rather than just focusing on preseason.
I think it's both tbh. Like I said, it's a balancing act. This is something Paul McGregor has clearly struggled with over the years, even with a quality team at his disosal. Let's just hope that Pay can get the balance right this year.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teams like the Storm and the Rotters can play and win games in 2nd gear so they are fresh at season end, we unfortunately aren't good enough to compete with them all season long.
Rugby league is a ruthless killer game if we give our all at the beginning of the season we will be stuffed and fade away in the end.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think it's both tbh. Like I said, it's a balancing act. This is something Paul McGregor has clearly struggled with over the years, even with a quality team at his disosal. Let's just hope that Pay can get the balance right this year.
I think he's just a bad coach, can't get them that next level and mentally the team looks shot once things start getting serious and other teams become match hardened.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s a good question for someone to ask at the members forum monday
I'd love to know why we play fuck all trials...Bellamy organised extra trials behind closed doors last preseason yet our players got 40 minutes.