News Manu dreams of All Blacks switch

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
Joey Manu is used to playing a part in successful teams. He played in all bar one of the Roosters' matches on his way to a premiership in just his second full season of first grade last year.

So perhaps it's only natural the softly-spoken, New Zealand born centre watched the All Blacks beat the Springboks in Japan on Saturday and thought he would one day love to trade his tri-colours kit for one of the most recognisable jerseys in world sport.

"Ever since I was young I wanted to be an All Black. I’m still a big fan of them," Manu said. "Especially when it comes to World Cup’s. It’s a pretty big occasion for pretty much all New Zealanders.

"I love [watching] at the moment but one day I would love to play for them."

As a talented teen trying his hand at both rugby and rugby league in the Waikato region, Manu's knowledge of the 13-man game was limited. He knew even less about the club he now calls home.

"I didn’t know much about the club or about their success or any of that," Manu said. "When I moved over here… they flew me in week in and week out [for SG Ball].

"I knew they were a good club then that had good family values and all of that. Once I got here, I knew they were a good club."

While Manu's knowledge of the NRL was limited, he idolised the All Blacks.

Legendary playmaker Dan Carter and Waikato superstar Mils Muliaina were his favourites players as a boy.

"Dan Carter is probably my favourite and then there are a couple of Chiefs boys - Mils Muliaina - I used to love watching him," Manu said. "At school I was [a playmaker] because we weren’t very good.

"Sometimes we didn’t even have enough numbers at the games. We were known as a bit of a rough school in our area, down in the Waikato area. There are heaps of good rugby schools and good private schools but we were pretty much getting smashed every week."

But Manu says he isn't going anywhere just yet.

"I’m happy-as here for now at the Roosters," he said. "They gave me an opportunity and they changed my life and my family’s life. I’m real happy here and I love this club."

He is off contract at the end of next season but wants to stay at the club for the foreseeable future, well aware his hometown of Tokoroa now expects him to bring the NRL trophy home for Christmas every year - as he did with teammate and fellow Tokoroa product Zane Tetevano this time last year.

"They’re expecting it. They expect one every year now," Manu said with a laugh. "When you go back there now, everyone has a Roosters jersey.

"There are still a couple of Souths fans and a few other teams but it’s pretty much all Roosters. We have Zane who is from there too so everyone has supported us.

"They always support whoever makes it out of the town so everyone is a mad Roosters fan now. Every time I go back it’s pretty cool."

Before he worries about bringing the Provan-Summons trophy back to Tokoroa for the second-straight year or a cross-code switch, Manu has a preliminary final showdown with the Storm to worry.

The premiers will start Saturday night's match as hot favourites, aided by Manu's scintillating form on their right edge.

"I have been getting better but I always feel like I can get to another level," he said. "It’s been a good year but if I don’t play well in this game, it doesn’t really mean much. I just want to play well this game. I’ll look back at good how the year was after the season."

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gotta hand it to those Rorters ;)...
FIFO SG Ball players!...hadn't heard of that before.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joey Manu is used to playing a part in successful teams. He played in all bar one of the Roosters' matches on his way to a premiership in just his second full season of first grade last year.

So perhaps it's only natural the softly-spoken, New Zealand born centre watched the All Blacks beat the Springboks in Japan on Saturday and thought he would one day love to trade his tri-colours kit for one of the most recognisable jerseys in world sport.

"Ever since I was young I wanted to be an All Black. I’m still a big fan of them," Manu said. "Especially when it comes to World Cup’s. It’s a pretty big occasion for pretty much all New Zealanders.

"I love [watching] at the moment but one day I would love to play for them."

As a talented teen trying his hand at both rugby and rugby league in the Waikato region, Manu's knowledge of the 13-man game was limited. He knew even less about the club he now calls home.

"I didn’t know much about the club or about their success or any of that," Manu said. "When I moved over here… they flew me in week in and week out [for SG Ball].

"I knew they were a good club then that had good family values and all of that. Once I got here, I knew they were a good club."

While Manu's knowledge of the NRL was limited, he idolised the All Blacks.

Legendary playmaker Dan Carter and Waikato superstar Mils Muliaina were his favourites players as a boy.

"Dan Carter is probably my favourite and then there are a couple of Chiefs boys - Mils Muliaina - I used to love watching him," Manu said. "At school I was [a playmaker] because we weren’t very good.

"Sometimes we didn’t even have enough numbers at the games. We were known as a bit of a rough school in our area, down in the Waikato area. There are heaps of good rugby schools and good private schools but we were pretty much getting smashed every week."

But Manu says he isn't going anywhere just yet.

"I’m happy-as here for now at the Roosters," he said. "They gave me an opportunity and they changed my life and my family’s life. I’m real happy here and I love this club."

He is off contract at the end of next season but wants to stay at the club for the foreseeable future, well aware his hometown of Tokoroa now expects him to bring the NRL trophy home for Christmas every year - as he did with teammate and fellow Tokoroa product Zane Tetevano this time last year.

"They’re expecting it. They expect one every year now," Manu said with a laugh. "When you go back there now, everyone has a Roosters jersey.

"There are still a couple of Souths fans and a few other teams but it’s pretty much all Roosters. We have Zane who is from there too so everyone has supported us.

"They always support whoever makes it out of the town so everyone is a mad Roosters fan now. Every time I go back it’s pretty cool."

Before he worries about bringing the Provan-Summons trophy back to Tokoroa for the second-straight year or a cross-code switch, Manu has a preliminary final showdown with the Storm to worry.

The premiers will start Saturday night's match as hot favourites, aided by Manu's scintillating form on their right edge.

"I have been getting better but I always feel like I can get to another level," he said. "It’s been a good year but if I don’t play well in this game, it doesn’t really mean much. I just want to play well this game. I’ll look back at good how the year was after the season."
This should put paid to stupid posts suggesting our club sign him.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This should put paid to stupid posts suggesting our club sign him.
It’s pretty good timing from the roosters.. clubs can negotiate with him after November... so put this out now so other clubs aren’t interested because he will be looking at Union as a move, and they can keep him for less money (no bidding war)

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Forget the All Blacks.. come to the Blue & Whites..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup, they all want to be in the all blacks. It’s certainly a dream and a goal, code switch is the word.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I feel like we hear this narrative a lot, but how many times has it actually happened?