Parts list for a cheap thumping car audio system

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
who hasn’t built a big thumping car audio system over the years, I’ve had many ranging from competition standard to basic upgrades.

My neighbour is 17 and don’t have much money to spend but he wants a big bass thumping punchy system to get the better of his mates who also have upgrades.. what’s your big banging setup for minimal dollars.. his base car is a Subaru Impreza 2007 model hatch

Here’s mine...

Grab a 12 inch subwoofer with the highest sensitivity dB .. some have 95db + @1 watt input. Maybe under $100 for a Pioneer ts-w306r

Grab a cheap aerpro sun box in a porter design. $50 sb1200

Grab a pioneer amp, I’d say something bridgeable at about 200rms is plenty, maybe $85 for such an amp ts- 3704 amp $15 amp install kit from eBay

Grab some 6.5 inch high sensitivity speakers, to save money we will power them off a new deck, about 90db should be a good find , $150 for two sets pick your parts here

Grab a decent head unit with 50x 4, relevant fascia trim piece and looms $150. Kenwood or pioneer easily buyable

Install yourself..

For $550 you could upgrade your sound system which would blow the pants off his mates Harmon kardon setups from their Audi .. they won’t know what hit em or which way to look..

Any more bang for your buck you could think of?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m a bit out of the loop.
Is Kenwood still a reputable brand?

I want to get decent speakers and subs for my car.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC. All the best.

Let's lock this thread now.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC. All the best.

Let's lock this thread now.
Haha you only want this thread locked so all the Freds and Moes don’t start gloating about their fully sic sub woofers like 1999 all over again!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wish they were as cheap when I was doing it then what they are now.

Sounds like you are on the right track though, even could save some coin getting 2nd hand Amp if $$ get tight.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I bought a Kenwood 5 Channel Amp for my ute and it goes hard. Was a bit pricey but worth it. Running Alpine Splits and Bridged to Kicker Comp Sub.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Haha you only want this thread locked so all the Freds and Moes don’t start gloating about their fully sic sub woofers like 1999 all over again!
Doesn't this @Blue_boost bloke have a WRX but? The cream of the crop for that lot of cars :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't this @Blue_boost bloke have a WRX but? The cream of the crop for that lot of cars :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
WRX is a nice vehicle but the few times I’ve ridden in one I felt cramped up.
Not much leg room and head room for guys over 6 feet 5

Wahesh

Reaction score
WRX is a nice vehicle but the few times I’ve ridden in one I felt cramped up.
Not much leg room and head room for guys over 6 feet 5
Yeah I know mate, a lot of those JDM cars are like that. You've probably feel more comfortable in a Commodore or even 4x4 ute.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I know mate, a lot of those JDM cars are like that. You've probably feel more comfortable in a Commodore or even 4x4 ute.
I used to have a VY.
I miss the power of it.
No one believes me that I pushed 1000km out of a tank.
But when you’re driving to Katoomba from st Mary’s 3 times a week and running the gauntlet all over the Sydney basin it’s easily achieved!
Coming back from Katoomba just let the car roll down the slope, saves a ton of fuel!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get and old tape recorder and stick witches hats to the speakers job done fully sick

Wahesh

Reaction score
I used to have a VY.
I miss the power of it.
No one believes me that I pushed 1000km out of a tank.
But when you’re driving to Katoomba from st Mary’s 3 times a week and running the gauntlet all over the Sydney basin it’s easily achieved!
Coming back from Katoomba just let the car roll down the slope, saves a ton of fuel!
1000km? You mean 100 yeah?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
1000km? You mean 100 yeah?
Nope I pushed 1000 out of it.
Trick is not to use the accelerator when rolling back into Sydney from the mountains.

I ran it right down to empty to achieve that though and using premium unleaded!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Check fb marketplace, gumtree or pawn shops. Theres so much decent and good audio equipment cheap now because its worthless after resale and just piles up everywhere hence people selling it cheap just to get rid of it.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want those vw or Audi owners with Harmon kardon option stereo to blow you away?

Or get your system pumping.

The system I described above will belt you in the head with power, thump your chest with the bass

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone actually upgrade their car audio these days or just cop the standard oem speakers?

Most people these days ignore the motor specifications on a car and look for the tech crap.

Most audio upgrades will demolish the stock equipment. For a few hundred bucks, but people will go throw $50k plus on a car because it has wireless charging Matt or a 7 inch touch screen