Official 2019: Sione Katoa offfially joins for 2 years

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kindly disregard my previous post having just read the anti-Mccullough vitriol in the rumours thread. Haha.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
we seem to be signing plenty for or NSW Cup team, hoping to hear of a signing for our NRL team sometime soon
Next yr will be a massive year in recruitment for 2021. I'd say the club is just picking players that will do a capable job for 2020 and from Nov 1 this year they will doing heavy business for 2021 in retention extensions and new contracts.

Should be good, just hope we end up with a good team..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Next yr will be a massive year in recruitment for 2021. I'd say the club is just picking players that will do a capable job for 2020 and from Nov 1 this year they will doing heavy business for 2021 in retention extensions and new contracts.

Should be good, just hope we end up with a good team..
This year is a massive year in recruitment for 2021. As soon as November hits we need to get at it for 2021. We need to throw big offers with deadlines at some players. I'd be surprised if we didn't have most of our 2021 squad known (big signings, key retainment) by the start of next season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This year is a massive year in recruitment for 2021. As soon as November hits we need to get at it for 2021. We need to throw big offers with deadlines at some players. I'd be surprised if we didn't have most of our 2021 squad known (big signings, key retainment) by the start of next season.
Your not wrong though holding some good coin in 2021 for who knows is a must.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He’s versatility is a bonus
He would be one of the biggest hookers in the comp alongside Havili
I’ve watched him numerous times play 13 and on an edge
If jmk is going well then he can cover other positions

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katoa had some good touches from the bench for Tonga against the the Lions yesterday. Looked lighter than he was at Penrith, and pretty fit. An average signing I thought but a bit of successful test footy under his belt can't hurt him and us.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Katoa had some good touches from the bench for Tonga against the the Lions yesterday. Looked lighter than he was at Penrith, and pretty fit. An average signing I thought but a bit of successful test footy under his belt can't hurt him and us.
I wathed him really closely last night and he went really really well. I was impressed with his craftiness and delivery was neat but most of I couldnt believe how much he tried to cover in defence. He was literally running in behind the sliding line from edge to edge and read every play without an issue.

If he plays like that all year then he and jmk will be sufficient.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wathed him really loosely last night and he went really really well. I was impressed with his craftiness and delivery was neat but most of I couldnt believe how much he tried to cover in defence. He was literally running in behind the sliding line from edge to edge and really read every play without an issue.

If he plays like that all year then he and jmk will be sufficient.
Defence is a good attribute Katoa has. Still has his classic forward pass in him tho.

I think Katoa could do the Lichaa role pretty well. 20-30 minutes at the start of the game until the sting is out of the game and then inject JMK.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Announce Katoa isn't as shit as some of us thought.

Didn't watch, did he play at lock or just hooker?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defence is a good attribute Katoa has. Still has his classic forward pass in him tho.

I think Katoa could do the Lichaa role pretty well. 20-30 minutes at the start of the game until the sting is out of the game and then inject JMK.
That one he threw last night was close to being ok but yeah the sooner he learns not to throw the ball when his runner over runs it the better.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Announce Katoa isn't as shit as some of us thought.

Didn't watch, did he play at lock or just hooker?
Best hooker on park with Hodgeson and Havilli playing. Helps when his forwards were rolling easily upfield though he was everywhere, nothing exciting but if he plays like he did last night for the whole season and we got him on a minimum wage then we shouldn't be to disappointed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best hooker on park with Hodgeson and Havilli playing. Helps when his forwards were rolling easily upfield but he was everywhere, nothing exciting but if he plays like he did last night for the whole season and we got him on a minimum wage then we shouldn't be to disappointed.
True, guess time will tell. All I remember him doing at Penrith was throw forwards passes and miss stupid tackles, maybe everyone that leaves Penrith improves :tearsofjoy:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True, guess time will tell. All I remember him doing at Penrith was throw forwards passes and miss stupid tackles, maybe everyone that leaves Penrith improves :tearsofjoy:
He'll be playing the Aussies this week so should be a better look at the guy against some class.

Banned
Reaction score
I think we have Hughes back at the club in some capacity. From memory he played a role in assembling some pretty talented rosters before he parted ways with the club.
Really hope that's the case :grinning: