SBW secret hand shake to play for bulldogs in 2020

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
During the anthem I was thinking he looked like he cut down a little...then during the Haka I really noticed how fucking huge he was lol.
Yeah the beauty of being tall and in your dirty 30’s!
Whatever hard work big guys did in their teens and 20’s really shows when they evolve into old has been fossils!

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight to the front row for SBW.
8.Napa 10. SBW. 16.Toleman

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Straight to the front row for SBW.
8.Napa 10. SBW. 16.Toleman
I think he'd die anywhere except the edge. 50-80 minutes on the edge. I don't think he has the pace for Centre either.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People need get over this and stop hating on him as it happened in a sport not anything truly important to hate on lmao

Sport is a big business so business decisions happen, SBW is an investment if we get him because you have players like Payne Haas and etc following him and looking up to him who would possibly want to follow him in the NRL to our club because there’s no way we’d attract that sorta young gun in our current state and with what the roosters can offer...

Lol contracts are jack shit when you are worth more than what your employer pays you based on your skills alone no matter what industry as you want your worth...

If someone offered me more for the same job I do, I’d quit and leave as someone has valued me more and id understand if my employees left because someone valued them more and I was a tight arse...

Also these contact sports are grueling on the body so you need to take all the money you can get before you are a hermit crab at age 40-45 lmao
He was offered $400k on his contract... this was in 2005.

He was on more than 10% of our salary cap, as it was 3.25 mil back then.

To put it into perspective, that is 1.2 million, if that same ratio was used along with today's salary cap. His issue was not with the club, it was with the NRL's maximum payment to a player.

Take a look at CNK from the Raiders. Bloke was signed on a bargain basement price, due to lack of demand by other clubs. Remember, demand sets your price in a fair market. He had a hand full of FG at this stage, and was stuck behind RTS. No one was really in for him, Raiders picked him up for a bargain, and he would probably be the best purchase of any player at any club this year, based on how much his contract was worth. Now he is worth more, but the Raiders, the very club which took a punt on a player who was not an established first grader, are reaping the benefits of a bargain, whilst he is reaping the benefits of increasing his potential for future contracts.

And also - using your example of "if someone offered me more for the same job" does not really hold well in this scenario. For starters, it is very rare for contracts to withhold you work for a competitor, within your contracted terms. Secondly - he broke his contract, in the most dog act of ways. At the very least, players in this day and age will make it known that they are unhappy, and make contact with the club. Whilst I still despise this type of action, it is what it is with this entitled generation.

Also, and very importantly - he stated that he did not just leave for money. He blamed the club culture, the people involved and was feeling very down-trodden about the clubs current state. At least that's directly from the horses mouth.

He walked out. 1 year into a 5 year deal. Leaving us in the lurk. Without a thought or a whisper. I am fully for players getting what they can, when they can. But at what point and at what time does the club get praised for good business? A contract is not one-sided, and if a club takes a punt on you, and it works out better for them, why are players then entitled to more? Let's flip your logic - if SBW signed for another club for $600k on a 4 year deal, and they reduce his pay for the remaining seasons because he under performed in his first season. Is that fair? The point here is the club will pay you, regardless of what happens to you as a player. The CNK is a perfect example of that. If everyone thought the same way you did, and behaved the same way, then there would be no point in contracts.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

To put it into perspective, that is 1.2 million, if that same ratio was used along with today's salary cap. His issue was not with the club, it was with the NRL's maximum payment to a player.

Take a look at CNK from the Raiders. Bloke was signed on a bargain basement price, due to lack of demand by other clubs. Remember, demand sets your price in a fair market. He had a hand full of FG at this stage, and was stuck behind RTS. No one was really in for him, Raiders picked him up for a bargain, and he would probably be the best purchase of any player at any club this year, based on how much his contract was worth. Now he is worth more, but the Raiders, the very club which took a punt on a player who was not an established first grader, are reaping the benefits of a bargain, whilst he is reaping the benefits of increasing his potential for future contracts.

And also - using your example of "if someone offered me more for the same job" does not really hold well in this scenario. For starters, it is very rare for contracts to withhold you work for a competitor, within your contracted terms. Secondly - he broke his contract, in the most dog act of ways. At the very least, players in this day and age will make it known that they are unhappy, and make contact with the club. Whilst I still despise this type of action, it is what it is with this entitled generation.

Also, and very importantly - he stated that he did not just leave for money. He blamed the club culture, the people involved and was feeling very down-trodden about the clubs current state. At least that's directly from the horses mouth.

He walked out. 1 year into a 5 year deal. Leaving us in the lurk. Without a thought or a whisper. I am fully for players getting what they can, when they can. But at what point and at what time does the club get praised for good business? A contract is not one-sided, and if a club takes a punt on you, and it works out better for them, why are players then entitled to more? Let's flip your logic - if SBW signed for another club for $600k on a 4 year deal, and they reduce his pay for the remaining seasons because he under performed in his first season. Is that fair? The point here is the club will pay you, regardless of what happens to you as a player. The CNK is a perfect example of that. If everyone thought the same way you did, and behaved the same way, then there would be no point in contracts.
Let me start with saying I completely understand and agree with you. It’s fucked.

Though let’s also be clear it’s missing one key factor here that sadly is the reason it’s this way.

This is a competitive sport, players are putting their body on the line and best case scenario for most is a good decade.

Therefor players are clearly almost always (there might be the odd exception that is above this or not driven majorly by money) though the reason I stare this is that these bargain deals. They all take the same .

They will now expect a big upgrade and the issue is if they don’t get it , the managers, players friends/family, player would all be frustrated and push for a release. The manager has no doubt got multiple clubs on the line for these guys with suitable deals should they get out of their deal.

Reverse the situation and no one was lining up to take trex! Hell woods and Mbye had to be paid to go elsewhere.

There is no win situation here for the club. They get a year of a absolute steal in a situation with the young raiders fullback. Though if he isn’t paid substantially more very soon watch what happens.

It’s no different to matterson with tigers now. Do I blame him for being dirty he’s on 350k and someone like Reynolds or packer or Mbye are on 800k+? No. Though he signed a contract at the price and was happy with that.

Now he’s elevated his game and proven to be an elite talent he wants more! There is several clubs that will pay it.

If he flopped nothing would be said because no one else would want him.

That’s the issue in the sporting world. Doesn’t matter what code.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me start with saying I completely understand and agree with you. It’s fucked.

Though let’s also be clear it’s missing one key factor here that sadly is the reason it’s this way.

This is a competitive sport, players are putting their body on the line and best case scenario for most is a good decade.

Therefor players are clearly almost always (there might be the odd exception that is above this or not driven majorly by money) though the reason I stare this is that these bargain deals. They all take the same .

They will now expect a big upgrade and the issue is if they don’t get it , the managers, players friends/family, player would all be frustrated and push for a release. The manager has no doubt got multiple clubs on the line for these guys with suitable deals should they get out of their deal.

Reverse the situation and no one was lining up to take trex! Hell woods and Mbye had to be paid to go elsewhere.

There is no win situation here for the club. They get a year of a absolute steal in a situation with the young raiders fullback. Though if he isn’t paid substantially more very soon watch what happens.

It’s no different to matterson with tigers now. Do I blame him for being dirty he’s on 350k and someone like Reynolds or packer or Mbye are on 800k+? No. Though he signed a contract at the price and was happy with that.

Now he’s elevated his game and proven to be an elite talent he wants more! There is several clubs that will pay it.

If he flopped nothing would be said because no one else would want him.

That’s the issue in the sporting world. Doesn’t matter what code.
Truth brother.

But why is it that players like CNK are not in the media requesting an upgrade, and blokes like MattO are? Even the whole Klemmer situation still makes me sick, largely because of the BS that was thrown around for his reasoning.

For me, it's a matter of integrity, and it shows a gulf in class between the scenario listed above.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People saying he couldn’t handle it anymore. The club wouldn’t be signing him for playing ability. Sign him up, sponsors come on board (aren’t we after a major sponsor now). Teach the young kids the professionalism required to be the best. He’d attract players to our club. The roosters spoke about the impact he had on the club when he was there. He could do wonders for the young kids at the club.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
People saying he couldn’t handle it anymore. The club wouldn’t be signing him for playing ability. Sign him up, sponsors come on board (aren’t we after a major sponsor now). Teach the young kids the professionalism required to be the best. He’d attract players to our club. The roosters spoke about the impact he had on the club when he was there. He could do wonders for the young kids at the club.
After a major sponsor now? Mate I would LOVE for that to be the case. That hideous red Kia logo is freaking bad. They're still here though FFS.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck this is a crap off season already lol.. just sign sbw and give us some excitement and something to actually look forward too An talk about, I for one know when he runs back out for us in the blue an white where he first started.. it would actually give ya goosebumps..!!

It’s definitely not a negative if we get him and that’s the truth of it...!!

You won’t all be cheering him on when he’s out there??? .. like hell lol. You will all Love it...!!!

Bring on 2020 :-)

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Truth brother.

But why is it that players like CNK are not in the media requesting an upgrade, and blokes like MattO are? Even the whole Klemmer situation still makes me sick, largely because of the BS that was thrown around for his reasoning.

For me, it's a matter of integrity, and it shows a gulf in class between the scenario listed above.
I’d say the difference is that Cnk is either already aware he is getting a pay upgrade or the deal he is on is ending very soon.

If he was on a 3 year deal for peanuts it would change or if he doesn’t get upgrade I bet too.

Matterson is 1 year in a 3 year deal and knows. My view anyway.

As I said I don’t like it either mate as a fan of the sport that’s the reality.

As a player I completely understand and would be thinking similar and feeling how they do I’m sure.

I mean it’s just the business it is. Even look at it the other way. Matterson has been mentioned by many people we shouldnjump on him!

The only ones who would hate this are tiger fans.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s not kid ourselves.

Sbw’s physique is ideal and obtainable. The only thing I would have issues replicating is probably his quads. Fuck they’re big mofos.

Everything else... he is just a leaned out dude.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SBW made his name on the back of his shoulder charges. They are banned now, so more than half of his game is gone.
Also his body is getting older and he is more fragile. He is better suited to Union where his work rate is considerably lower.
You do realise that the shoulder charge is banned in union as well right? In fact it has never been allowed in union, and more recently the penalties have increased massively to make it seem as though it is suddenly "illegal".
SBW took time to adjust to this in union, but he has done everything possible in either code, so to suggest his shoulder charge is his only asset, that's just wrong, as it is by no means his only weapon.
I also think that he has become less injury prone over his career, and is by no means fragile.
One last point, SBW doesnt drink. Alcohol has a profound effect on the aging of your body! Most footballers like getting on the piss, it's part of the culture. SBW has been a nondrinkers for most of his career, so he is most likely in way better shape now then many are at the age of 30.

Last edited:

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I very doubt this is even an option but of course i would sign him. He would have the same benefit as a Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk. Absolute class, absolute professional.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

All good man, though the way I see is that okay you might get your first pay and it's fine for the time being but once you find your feet or start to develop very quickly thus becoming an integral team member or someone who will hold great value to a company, then yes you should be entitled to get more money otherwise there will be others lining up wanting the best employee for what it takes. If we look at SBW, how many players have been like him? He comes under a different class of athlete compared to other athletes, he wasn't your bog standard footy player that comes around every year and has proven it everywhere he has gone.

The world is becoming more and more competitive so if you know you are worth more than you are currently being paid, then yes the entitlement will come as its nothing to do with a generation becoming entitled. There are more and more people who are popping up with greater skills as science and education moves forward who people want working for them.

Let me give you an example; I haven't studied at uni for 2 degrees in engineering and computing/maths with me now doing my masters in my discipline of engineering just so that I can go get a job for 50k a year or earn the same as a tradesman (nothing against tradies) who would then carry out the physical work of my designs/projects... I expect more because I hold a valuable library of knowledge/skills and vastly superior problem solving skills compared to others who haven't shown that skill or worked towards it. Same with athletes, there is going to be some who are just better than others or put in more effort to be better than others and should expect their hard work to be rewarded if they can prove it.

With CNK, I have a feeling that he is going to get a pay raise after how he has performed because he has shown the value he has, he might have kept it secret because it may have already been sorted out or is being sorted. Only reason I see players doing it publicly is due to their managers playing the game of sympathy from the public and to create negative attention towards the club his client is at.

On reduced pay, I believe that performance reviews are fair and keep things inline. You might have signed a contract for x amount of money but that was at an y expected level of work. If you don't perform without any reasonable issue being the cause then you might be looking at being let go or having your contract renegotiated to suit your current level of value, I really do believe they need to start doing this with footy players as some just make all this money and decide to not keep it up anymore (we have had a few of these players at our club). Contracts seem to protect the player more than the club spending all that money for that value and level of performance they expect to be successful, there are exceptions obviously with things like injury and etc

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Truth brother.

I understand the bit about integrity though your employer must also show some integrity/decency and not abuse/use you if they know they have something good on their hands if its coming cheap.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone deserves a second chance. He was a kid when he screwed us. Let's face it many would take the money and run if we had a better offer?! Anyways it's all in the past and he's without a doubt a superstar that would reflect on the rest of the team.