Official 2019: Sione Katoa offfially joins for 2 years

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Played 20 NRL games for Penrith in 2018
- they finished 5th, won the first elimination final and got pipped by 1 in the 2nd week of the finals - Katoa was good enough to be the starting no 9 in those games and while he is no super star he will be a solid back up for us next year

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are scraping the bottom of the barrel here but there isn’t many alternatives. People might have preferred Brittain but he’s actually older then Katoa and had less experience. At the end of the day we needed another hooker and Katoa fills that role. Hopefully he surprises us.
He can also play lock and is a bigger robust body.
I hope he impresses

axeman23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So is there TWO Sione Katoas? I just looked up a YouTube video of "Sione Katoa" playing for the Sharks as a wing/centre, then I looked up their website and it still has him listed in their squad. he one who played/plays for the Sharks looks exciting! :laughing:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So is there TWO Sione Katoas? I just looked up a YouTube video of "Sione Katoa" playing for the Sharks as a wing/centre, then I looked up their website and it still has him listed in their squad. he one who played/plays for the Sharks looks exciting! :laughing:
Haha yeah there is mate. We have his brother in lower grades

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At least this clears up a few things.

Sione will be replacing nu brown in Canterbury cup.

We won’t be linked with any other hookers for next year.

And Jmk will be our first choice hooker for 2020.

I am alright with jmk at hooker. He can get the job done and there really isn’t anyone available on the market to poach right now. I hope the club turns their attention to signing a centre now for next year and things should be sweet.
issac Luke for 1 or 2 years

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Dont worry this bloke goes good

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What kennel hype? There has been absolutely zero hype.
Anything remotely positive about this signing is hype because it's a complete exaggeration of his abilities. He is genuinely worse than Lichaa, no lie. Lichaa gets absolutely smashed on here yet some that have probably barely even seen the Panthers play are acting like this is a solid depth signing at worst.

Speedy was bloody convinced we signed Katoa from the Sharks despite the article stating we signed a HOOKER from the PANTHERS and not a WINGER from the SHARKS, he even uploaded highlights of Katoa from the Sharks scoring tries in the corner lol.

I get people want to be positive but fuck I find it unbearable when certain posters smash some of our players yet will then hype up any potential recruits just because they're new.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything remotely positive about this signing is hype because it's a complete exaggeration of his abilities. He is genuinely worse than Lichaa, no lie. Lichaa gets absolutely smashed on here yet some that have probably barely even seen the Panthers play are acting like this is a solid depth signing at worst.

Speedy was bloody convinced we signed Katoa from the Sharks despite the article stating we signed a HOOKER from the PANTHERS and not a WINGER from the SHARKS, he even uploaded highlights of Katoa from the Sharks scoring tries in the corner lol.

I get people want to be positive but fuck I find it unbearable when certain posters smash some of our players yet will then hype up any potential recruits just because they're new.
Who would you say has the flatter , faster more crisp pass from the ground , Lich or Katoa? Not saying Kotoa is a world beater, but I’d take him over Lich every day of the week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who would you say has the flatter , faster more crisp pass from the ground , Lich or Katoa? Not saying Kotoa is a world beater, but I’d take him over Lich every day of the week.
They're both provide poor service. Panther fans would take Lichaa over Katoa, point is we're replacing shit with shit.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long until the name Lichaa stops appearing on TK? This is a dull signing though

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Katoa is far better then Lichaa. If he gets an opportunity he will surprise a few. Don't know what all the anger is about. He would be on minimal money and we need depth in the hooker. Signing makes sense. Better then overpaying Api. Remember, Penrith were also happy about losing DWZ and Waqa Blake They don't know shit

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Katoa is far better then Lichaa. If he gets an opportunity he will surprise a few. Don't know what all the anger is about. He would be on minimal money and we need depth in the hooker. Signing makes sense. Better then overpaying Api. Remember, Penrith were also happy about losing DWZ and Waqa Blake They don't know shit
Someone that knows his footy, thank God.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand that they had to sign someone but no matter how much people try and talk up Katoa, the fact remains that he was the 4th string hooker for a bottom 8 team.

He may well exceed expectations, and I'm happy that they didn't waste money on Api but it's frustrating to constantly have to try and justify and talk up the signing of fringe or mediocre unwanted players from other clubs, even those on the minimum like Sione.

The Titans might sign Matterson for a reasonable deal when they finished last and we're supposed to feel positive about signing Katoa and Britt?

The truth is that they're struggling to recruit and sign the players they initially targeted and have to sign cheaper, last resort alternatives as a result..