DWZ is the best signing the Bulldogs have made since Morris in 2015

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think part of the reason DWZ left Penrith was he wanted to play FB. Signing LM there might cause issues.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out regardless.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few people are saying to save money for other positions. We've been linked with Ramien (Centre), Koroisau (Hooker) and Ese'ese (Bench/Prop). Outside those positions the only positions I think we need to strengthen are another starting Prop and a Winger, but there are only 3 premium Wingers available (and why I'd throw DWZ on the Wing) which are Oates (unless he signs a 1 year deal again we can't afford him), Cotric and Vunivalu. We have money to spend. Not signing 2 marquee players out of Tom Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, Latrell and Arrow would just be silly imo. We have to at least try anyways. DWZ has inspired the team and been 1 of our best players every week since joining us, but Tom Trbojevic is currently the best player to build a club around in the game. The club also not targeting a goal kicking Centre (or Hooker) makes me think Latrell is in the picture because with Meaney and Holland out of the side we literally don't have a goal kicker.
One thing you need to remember is we have so much money because almost all our players are off contract next year. So we still need heaps of players and need to work out who we will keep on.

Wakeham is a goal kicker and our future in the halves.

From what I can remember the only ones still on contract from current group is Napa, meaney, okunbor?, chn, plus the two new guys coming in Stimson and Britt. So there’s roughly 24 spots we need to fill with current players and new players. The war chest will deplete quickly if we keep people like dwz, Jackson, tolman, Lewis, jmk, reimis. Our war chest isn’t as massive as people think.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
One thing you need to remember is we have so much money because almost all our players are off contract next year. So we still need heaps of players and need to work out who we will keep on.

Wakeham is a goal kicker and our future in the halves.

From what I can remember the only ones still on contract from current group is Napa, meaney, okunbor?, chn, plus the two new guys coming in Stimson and Britt. So there’s roughly 24 spots we need to fill with current players and new players. The war chest will deplete quickly if we keep people like dwz, Jackson, tolman, Lewis, jmk, reimis. Our war chest isn’t as massive as people think.
Trust me I've done the maths.

1. Latrell GK
2. DWZ
3. Hopoate
4. Ramien
5. Reimis
6. Foran (right)
7. Lewis (left)
8. Tolman
9. Koroisau
10. Arrow
11. CHN
12. Stimson
13. Jackson C

14. JMK
15. Napa
16. Ese'ese
17. Elliott

With a squad like this we'll still have a a little bit to spend in our 1-17, but I think we'll just save it to have 18-30 players on better contracts (so we can retain them).

After retaining who I think we will we'll have about 4m.

2020 - Ramien, Koroisau, Stimson, Ese'ese
2021 - Latrell, Arrow
< 4m

Last edited:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is about 4 mil tied up in your 1, 2, 6 & 10 & another 4-5 mil tied up in the rest of the 17. Don't think that would work. Nice team though, but I still think if we keep DWZ he should be fullback.
Latrell hasn't shown anything to suggest he'd be a quality Fullback, he doesn't have the work rate, when Tedesco was out he didn't get the gig then, went to Manu.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There is about 4 mil tied up in your 1, 2, 6 & 10 & another 4-5 mil tied up in the rest of the 17. Don't think that would work. Nice team though, but I still think if we keep DWZ he should be fullback, Latrell hasn't shown anything to suggest he'd be a quality Fullback, he doesn't have the work rate, when Tedesco was out he didn't get the gig then, went to Manu.
Latrell played Fullback a couple of years ago (filling in for someone that was injured, maybe Gordon, can't remember). If the Roosters played Latrell Fullback instead of Manu and he looked impressive they'd be 0% chance of keeping him. I really like the balance in the 1-17 I've picked, but everyone is going to have different opinions. I think the rest of the 17 (not including players recruited) is between 4-4.5m. If we keep Cogger over Foran that'd also mean we have more.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Latrell played Fullback a couple of years ago (filling in for someone that was injured, maybe Gordon, can't remember). If the Roosters played Latrell Fullback instead of Manu and he looked impressive they'd be 0% chance of keeping him. I really like the balance in the 1-17 I've picked, but everyone is going to have different opinions. I think the rest of the 17 (not including players recruited) is between 4-4.5m. If we keep Cogger over Foran that'd also mean we have more.
Yep mate I think its a great team to be honest. But even the Roosters wouldn't have the $$$ under their cap to field that team IMO.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep mate I think its a great team to be honest. But even the Roosters wouldn't have the $$$ under their cap to field that team IMO.
Latrell 1m
DWZ 500k
Hopoate 400k
Ramien 500k
Reimis 300k
Foran 500k
Lewis 300k
Tolman 400k
Koroisau 400k
Arrow 1m
CHN 400k
Stimson 300k
Jackson 500k

JMK 300k
Napa 700k
Ese'ese 300k
Elliott 300k

8.1m
The salary cap in 2021 is 9.9m. 8.4m if paying 18-30 minimum wage (115k x 13).

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Latrell 1m
DWZ 500k
Hopoate 400k
Ramien 500k
Reimis 300k
Foran 500k
Lewis 300k
Tolman 400k
Koroisau 400k
Arrow 1m
CHN 400k
Stimson 300k
Jackson 500k

JMK 300k
Napa 700k
Ese'ese 300k
Elliott 300k

8.1m
So your expecting some of them to accept 30-50% of current salary? DWZ, Foran, Hoppa, Tolman & JJ. Nice team but not likely.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So your expecting some of them to accept 30-50% of current salary? DWZ, Foran, Hoppa, Tolman & JJ. Nice team but not likely.
100%.
Dallin is not on 1m. 600k max for Dallin (on the Wing, 700k if Fullback).
Foran is worth 1m but plays < 1/2 the games a season on average and is a liability for finals (actually being there). So I'm cutting his contract in half.
Tolman and Hopoate are still on back ended deals and not worth what they're currently on.
Jackson is worth 500-600k and no more then that.

I'm not saying this is the team we have to pick (these exact players), but I'm expecting a squad around this level of talent brought in and players retained.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
18-30 on minimum wage will give us terrible depth.

Foran will leave for 500k. He will get more than that from uncle des.

Any decent depth players will be 200k.

Lewis will be wanting more than 300 k. Tolman won’t stay for 400k. He’s on 750k roughly.

Players like toomago and wakeham will start getting offers now too after a few first grade games. Minimum wage means you have 13 players that haven’t played a game of first grade. Couple injuries and we are done.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Lewis will be wanting more than 300 k. Tolman won’t stay for 400k. He’s on 750k roughly.

Players like toomago and wakeham will start getting offers now too after a few first grade games. Minimum wage means you have 13 players that haven’t played a game of first grade. Couple injuries and we are done.
My thoughts also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

That's fine.
We let Foran leave if he wants more then 500k. Keep Cogger instead for 300k. Saves 200k. That would already mean we can average 150k across our 18-30.
Tolman is going to be our Matt Prior. Who's going to buy Tolman for more then 400-500k? Also he's played at the club for more then 8 years so we get Veteran allowance (200k of the cap). I have no problem getting rid of the worst forward after half way if he's demanding to much $.
Is Lewis going to get offers from other clubs for 400k+? I doubt it. Even our fans are split on what they think about him. If so we have Wakeham, Cogger or can buy someone else with the 300k.
We could even play Toomaga instead of signing Ese'ese.
I'd also say that Manly is a side with little to no depth and is currently sitting 4th (they've had some terrible injuries too).

Last edited:

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's fine.
We let Foran leave if he wants more then 500k. Keep Cogger instead for 300k. Saves 200k. That would already mean we can average 150k across our 18-30.
Tolman is going to be our Matt Prior. Who's going to buy Tolman for more then 400-500k? Also he's played at the club for more then 8 years so we get Veteran allowance (200k of the cap). I have no problem getting rid of the worst forward after half way if he's demanding to much $.
Is Lewis going to get offers from other clubs for 400k+? I doubt it. Even our fans are split on what they think about him. If so we have Wakeham, Cogger or can buy someone else with the 300k.
We could even play Toomaga instead of signing Ese'ese.
I'd also say that Manly is a side with little to no depth and is currently sitting 4th (they've had some terrible injuries too).
Our fans are the most critical of Lewis. The rest of the nrl think he is the next big thing. I can see a Qld team making a big play for him.

Manly have a des team that is fully stacked for this year and is sweating on losing a few of their big stars now with no backup.

If we start offering shit deals to our guys who have been here for ages like tolman and jacko then we will lose our experience and end up with a bunch of misfits like Newcastle.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
DWZ is already a better signing than Morris ever was.