Other News Source Matterson could be leaving Tigers as rivals circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine being on 350k busting your gut over 80 of Nrl, win a man of the match award. Next day turn on the TV to watch a Cup game and see Packer, Reynolds and Matalino running around on 700k each

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great player but save money for Fifita.

As has been mentioned, we are fairly well stocked with current NRL player being Jackson, Stimson and CHN. Who knows what Doorey, Topine and Pitovao can be with an NRL Preseason as well.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Elliot and smith over matterson. Yeah the guys are right. Just ignore your posts.
The king whinger or marquee sighnings is a fan of elliot and smith.
That will do me.
Ah shit, here we go again.
You really don't like other people having a different opinion to you ay mr.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. Any player that has bit of success suddenly wants a pay rise! As far as I'm concerned the NRL/clubs need to put a stop to this before it bleeds the game dry. Clubs are being held to ransom bu players who are where they are because of the club they play for. So in my opinion, any player that wants out for more money can fuck right off!
Club first, team second, player third. This has always been our values, and clearly this guy doesn't agree.
I do think that a player/employee has the right to ask for a pay rise, but a contract is a contract, and surely you must fulfill at least half of, or if not more of it, before you can ask for a pay rise!
As much as I agree with you anyone can ask for a pay rise anytime. Right after signing or before renewal. Not saying it’s right but you can. Whether your boss entertains the idea or not is a different story. Some clubs may be happy to pay someone at a lower amount and get away with it until asked for an increase and then they usually oblige or let them go. Agree though he shouldn’t have signed on the cheap if he thought he was worth more at the time

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Matterson could be leaving Tigers as rivals circle

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/12...E7MeJ1k4R7rSq6qL6mKC1o1UMvJPOlQshp2I1jZVQmpgU

Ryan Matterson could be headed for the exit door in the off-season as the Wests Tigers try to resolve a frosty relationship between the star forward and coach Michael Maguire.

NRL.com can reveal club officials, including Maguire, recently met with Matterson and his manager to discuss his future at the club.

The meeting came after the Tigers learned a number of rival NRL clubs had received expressions of interest for Matterson's services, despite the 24-year-old still having two more years to run on his deal at the joint venture.

Matterson has arguably been the Tigers' best player this season since joining them from the Sydney Roosters, however there has been lingering tension with the hard-nosed coach for a couple of months.

Maguire is renowned as a strict disciplinarian, and his methods often get the best out of players.

However, Matterson is used to a different style of coaching having played under Trent Robinson at the Roosters.

The Tigers, who on Thursday returned to training up until grand final week, have every intention of Matterson seeing out his deal, however the club is bracing itself for the possibility he requests a release in the coming weeks.

Last year the Tigers showed with the way they handled the Ivan Cleary situation they would only release someone from a contract if they were to benefit, which in the case of Cleary came in the form of a six-figure compensation figure.

Matterson is on a deal worth around $350,000 a season at the Tigers, and is likely to attract offers in excess of $500,000 should the current dilemma result in a request for a release.

Several clubs are monitoring the situation. It is understood the Bulldogs have been sounded out about their potential interest from someone close to Matterson, while the Knights have some money to spend given the departure of Jesse Ramien, and potentially Danny Levi and Herman Ese'ese.

Matterson is also a Parramatta junior, and the club is trying to bolster its stocks in the forwards and could pounce.

The Eels are also edging closer to finalising a deal with Panthers prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard for next season.
Who gives a shit !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. Any player that has bit of success suddenly wants a pay rise! As far as I'm concerned the NRL/clubs need to put a stop to this before it bleeds the game dry. Clubs are being held to ransom bu players who are where they are because of the club they play for. So in my opinion, any player that wants out for more money can fuck right off!
Club first, team second, player third. This has always been our values, and clearly this guy doesn't agree.
I do think that a player/employee has the right to ask for a pay rise, but a contract is a contract, and surely you must fulfill at least half of, or if not more of it, before you can ask for a pay rise!
Yeah it's getting to the point where contracts are becoming a joke. The NRL seems to have taken the softest stance in the world regarding the anti tampering rules as far as I can see.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As much as I agree with you anyone can ask for a pay rise anytime. Right after signing or before renewal. Not saying it’s right but you can. Whether your boss entertains the idea or not is a different story. Some clubs may be happy to pay someone at a lower amount and get away with it until asked for an increase and then they usually oblige or let them go. Agree though he shouldn’t have signed on the cheap if he thought he was worth more at the time
Of course they can! Totally within their rights. But, NRL clubs facilitate the problem. And not just the club that gives them an upgrade. The clubs that line up to sign them encourage this type of request!
SBW did this to us, and what do you think of him? A contract is a contract in my eyes. Sure, you can try to renegotiate it, but by allowing this to happen you also encourage it to happen.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it's getting to the point where contracts are becoming a joke. The NRL seems to have taken the softest stance in the world regarding the anti tampering rules as far as I can see.
To be honest, most of what the NRL does is an utter joke!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This situation, and many others, only reinforces the fact that they are all playing (substantially) for the money.

Clubs shop you, drop you, move you on early etc and some pay ridiculous money to bludgers while other better players don't get paid anywhere near as much.

With the money involved nowday, the injuries in later life etc, then this situation with SBW, Barba, Klem, Matterson (there's heaps) will continue to happen and now part of the game.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s fucked. People whinge about loyalty. This is a prime example of its dead. The player signed the deal. His manager source the deal. It’s his fault he signed a 3 year deal. If you want more money. Sign 2 year deals and evaluate at the end of the contract.

Same as the Klemmer situation. He done his OWN contract and then his missus had a whinge because he sold himself short and had signed for 4 years. Managers are running the game and the NRL has to step in. It will never be perfect. But the way it is at the moment is ridiculous.

If I’m the Tigers I’m telling him too bad. If you want to sulk. Go sit in reserves for 2 years. These young players want everything f given to them on a silver platter. Fuck em

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s fucked. People whinge about loyalty. This is a prime example of its dead. The player signed the deal. His manager source the deal. It’s his fault he signed a 3 year deal. If you want more money. Sign 2 year deals and evaluate at the end of the contract.

Same as the Klemmer situation. He done his OWN contract and then his missus had a whinge because he sold himself short and had signed for 4 years. Managers are running the game and the NRL has to step in. It will never be perfect. But the way it is at the moment is ridiculous.

If I’m the Tigers I’m telling him too bad. If you want to sulk. Go sit in reserves for 2 years. These young players want everything f given to them on a silver platter. Fuck em
And when it suits them like foran they dont leave or play for less but when in their favour they hold the club to ransom like klem

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

You're right, but fuck the moral high ground in this instance - it's on the NRL to fix this bullshit

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
whos his manager, it has the same stench as what happened at the tigers with woods tedesco a couple of seasons ago

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Granted leave for personal reasons. No denials he has been unhappy especially with his contract.

Funny how they have no objections when they sign a good deal and they start to perform okay then wants more money and is chucking a tanty....

$350k when they signed him and that was commensurate with his performances....next year 425K sounds like another Klemmer...

But then this from the lurker....

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...-leave-wests-tigers/8x0g9luij4hi13qfqpno6fjng

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Apparently gone to eels
They add him and rcg? Upgrade sivo and lose a few nuffies bar ma’u who is hardly on big money. Makes sense

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good to see eels will get raped by cap again soon. I mean if they didn’t take their spoons what’s to lose?

If it happens they need to look at them again.

Not saying it being sour they are clearly up to it again. Couldn’t get it right first time so went again.

Status
Not open for further replies.