Social Media Mundine Jnr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By all reports, Mundine snr is well respected and a really top bloke.. he just acted like a clown to sell fights and it worked because hes made a very tidy profit out of being a bog average boxer..
Have met him a few times totally different in person quietly spoken family man very humble very approachable no ego about him at all

The guy puts on a show for reasons stated above

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why we even talking about Mundine Snr? Couldn't care less about him. He won't be on the pitch.

What's Jnr like as a player? Where would he fit into our team? Would he improve us? Immediate impact or depth?

Anything else I couldn't care less and none of you should either you bunch of pea hearts.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t we already sign a Mundine? Matt or something? What‘s his deal?

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Have met him a few times totally different in person quietly spoken family man very humble very approachable no ego about him at all

The guy puts on a show for reasons stated above
Yep, I second this, in the lead up to one of his fights a few years back he was sparring one of my mates and took time out to chat to a bunch of guys, was really chilled and came across like a nice bloke.

Completely different to the persona he creates to get bums on seats at fights...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why we even talking about Mundine Snr? Couldn't care less about him. He won't be on the pitch.

What's Jnr like as a player? Where would he fit into our team? Would he improve us? Immediate impact or depth?

Anything else I couldn't care less and none of you should either you bunch of pea hearts.
its because, generally speaking, apples dont fall far from trees, and generally speaking SNR is a top notch bloke (aside from his wannabe don king impersonation). that being said Jnr should be a descent young man brought up by a humble parent/s.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its because, generally speaking, apples dont fall far from trees, and generally speaking SNR is a top notch bloke (aside from his wannabe don king impersonation). that being said Jnr should be a descent young man brought up by a humble parent/s.
Will hopoate's dad is a massive flog and Will seems completely decent.. I agree let's not judge this kid on his old man who is probably not as bad as were lead to believe.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will hopoate's dad is a massive flog and Will seems completely decent.. I agree let's not judge this kid on his old man who is probably not as bad as were lead to believe.
yes this is true and as i said "generally speaking"... but ive seen interviews with Will hoppa's parents, and whilst hoppa snr has brain explosions regularly, he is very religious as is his wife and they still have brought up the kids well despite the image he portrays ..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yes this is true and as i said "generally speaking"... but ive seen interviews with Will hoppa's parents, and whilst hoppa snr has brain explosions regularly, he is very religious as is his wife and they still have brought up the kids well despite the image he portrays ..
Hoppa Snr's wife is lovely. Sat next to her at Origin one year when Will was dominating under 18s Origin as a 15 year old and she was talking to us the whole game. She's good people and you can see why Will is so humble.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just to put into perspective of what impact and how it may affect the club...there is probably a heck of a lot of difference between the involvement of Hoppa's father (none) and CJ's father (plenty) around training presence, press hounding/interviews/progress opinions etc. Most Aussies groan and revile the guy when they see him on screen.

Sure as heck, the media won't be working towards improving the image of one of the "baddies" they created and that draws us into it probably.

I believe it should all be about the son, but who are we kidding...it will be all about The Man as far as the press are concerned.

Just presenting the down side to this for the club because I reckon the Telecrap and a lot of sports gossip journos will have a field day and present a very negative vibe...he goes to Roosters it's a very different narrative for instance.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Plenty of personal accounts on here confirming stories I have heard. I say go for the signing if there's some truth to it because if he has half the talent of his old man then it will be an asset to the team. No doubt having Mundine around will help attract talented kids I think too and who knows may even help the young homesick ones settle in to our club and make them happy. I think there is some positives to this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plenty of personal accounts on here confirming stories I have heard. I say go for the signing if there's some truth to it because if he has half the talent of his old man then it will be an asset to the team. No doubt having Mundine around will help attract talented kids I think too and who knows may even help the young homesick ones settle in to our club and make them happy. I think there is some positives to this.
Absolutely. We haven't been a club that hasn't had a massive amount of Indigenous talent compared to other clubs over the years aside from McGrady, Thurston and Barba. We've had others here and there but it's something that needs to change moving forward as we're missing out on a huge part of the talent pool as alot of Indigenous players wouldn't find us as attractive a club to join because of that.

Signing Mundine or Latrell etc would go a long way towards changing that perception and making us even more attractive to those players.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. We haven't been a club that hasn't had a massive amount of Indigenous talent compared to other clubs over the years aside from McGrady, Thurston and Barba. We've had others here and there but it's something that needs to change moving forward as we're missing out on a huge part of the talent pool as alot of Indigenous players wouldn't find us as attractive a club to join because of that.

Signing Mundine or Latrell etc would go a long way towards changing that perception and making us even more attractive to those players.
Exactly, u dont see wendells kid copping it cause he was banned for 2 years for smoking coke with the great darren lockyer.
Im sure chocs wife will make sure its there sons time to shine and do his own thing.
Chocs recruiting just might pay off with a couple of great sighnings.
Dont know why people are surprised, this was set in motion with a couple of sighnings last off season.
The cousins and brothers are already here of the mundine slash smith gene.
We are the family club, surprised how short everyones memories are.
Latrells brother, and mundines nephews and cousins were not bought here last off season to play first grade.
Look at the bigger picture everyone.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I don’t know if it’s been a conscious decision or not. You’d like to think the club would keep an open mind on who we recruit and I think they do. A couple of talented indigenous juniors also come to mind who have got themselves in shit in the area but unfortunately that can happen anywhere.

Looking at our juniors the club is very Pacific Islander based as many clubs now are. The size, speed and skill of many of those boys is incredible. I think the effort the club has recently made with junior pathways in the country will provide good dividends and give us a good range of future bulldogs.

Our association with Choc will only benefit the club in that respect

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have heard he’s actually a fairly average player to be honest and hyped up a lot due to his name. He couldn’t even get a run in the Dragons Flegg team after SG Ball finished and played local A grade I think that says a lot about where he’s at.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s been a conscious decision or not. You’d like to think the club would keep an open mind on who we recruit and I think they do. A couple of talented indigenous juniors also come to mind who have got themselves in shit in the area but unfortunately that can happen anywhere.

Looking at our juniors the club is very Pacific Islander based as many clubs now are. The size, speed and skill of many of those boys is incredible. I think the effort the club has recently made with junior pathways in the country will provide good dividends and give us a good range of future bulldogs.

Our association with Choc will only benefit the club in that respect
I'm not saying it's been a conscious decision not to, but we certainly don't have the best connections to scout and sign that talent compared to other clubs. So hopefully we can improve in that department as well as scouting and hopefully recruiting more Fijian and English players.

I'd hoped signing Graham would lead to more English signings as he was such a success but it hasn't worked out that way. And look at how Canberra have turned into a top 4 team, mainly because of the success of their ESL recruits.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Those 3 names you just rattled off..3 of the most gifted Indigenous players to ever play the game,were once at our great club..
Dog 4 Life

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't agree with the whole "apples don't fall far from trees" comment as factually don't think it's entirely true but get what you're saying. Personally I'll judge the fella on who HE is rather than his family but understand the need to take all factors into consideration.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel sorry for will and mundine jnr having to carry around the stigma of their farther's bullshit. That said john hoppa is just a dumb grub and will has distanced himself from being that kind of person on and off the field. Mundine snr is cunning and driven by a toxic political agenda, if junior buys into that I would not like to see him at the club.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Anthony Mundine is a champion and if the club is clever they would have him mentoring our players from harold matts days.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
John Hopoate might have made some poor decisions on the field, but having met him after a legends of league game, he's not incredibly bright. But he was probably the most approachable player there on the night. Signed a gazillion autographs, posed for even more photos and chatted with every fan there that approached him well after the rest of the players left the field. The only time he looked a little annoyed was when I joked that he needed to convince Will to play on Sundays. At which point he looked a little angry for 5 seconds and I got scared and told him I was just joking while I shit my pants. I've seen smaller land Rovers than John Hopoate.

I have to take people's word for the fact that Mundine put on an act to promote his boxing career. If we wind up signing his son I'll judge the kid on his own merits. From memory he's still only in Flegg. So it's still a long road ahead for him to get to NRL level if he's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.