Fireman Sam axed in the UK for being to masculine, and not inclusive enough...

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If it wasn't official before, it certainly is now. THE SHIT HAS OFFICIALLY HIT THE FAN!!!

Only 2 days after claiming that the next James Bond is going to be a woman.

Too good not to tag... here we go!

@ASSASSIN @south of heaven @Wolfmother @wendog33 @Lov_Dog @rainman @CaptainJackson @CroydonDog @G_Dog_Rota @Gareth @Boxer @COVENS @Ecca @steve1700 @Kaz @Armchair critic @The_Chimpster @Scoooby @MatstaDogg @Bad Billy @Hacky McAxe @Ted Nü-Djent @Heckler @Wenger @c-b-b @KiwiDog7 @AlphaPapaBravo @coach @Dingo @Raysie @JayBee @Merimbula Man @Howard Moon @G_Dog_Rota @KLil @Mbappé2020 and last but certainly not least, @Realist90

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-49661970

Fireman Sam has been axed as a mascot for a fire brigade over fears he could put women off joining.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service said the children's TV character was outdated and did not reflect the message it wanted to achieve.

The decision follows complaints by staff and members of the public.

Chief fire officer Les Britzman said Fireman Sam would be replaced with fire extinguisher-shaped mascots called Freddy, Filbert and Penelope.

Mr Britzman said the service already struggled to recruit women firefighters and the character would no longer be used in its promotional material.

"There's been a lot of research that says that images that young people have about what careers they want to do are formed when they are about four or five.

"If you are promoting that image we might be stopping people wanting to apply for the fire service 20 years down the line."

The decision has been backed by the Fire Brigades Union (FBU), which said it did not reflect attempts to diversify the fire service.

FBU executive council member Ben Selby said: "We're not bothered about Fireman Sam.

"We're bothered by the subconscious message the term fireman has created as an issue in our recruitment."

London Fire Brigade has tweeted in support of the move but many others have criticised it.

It has come under fire in the past for being sexist, with calls for it to be renamed Firefighter Sam.

Mr Britzman said he would consider bringing back the character if this was done.

"The show itself is modern and up to date but the title isn't," he said.

"No-one in the country is called fireman anymore. It's firefighter. That's their rank."

The children's show, set in the fictional Welsh town Pontypandy, has been a mainstay on TV screens since it was created in the 1980s by London firefighter Dave Jones.

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Jones said: "I joined the fire brigade on my 18th birthday [and] if I had said I was a firefighter I would have been slapped down by my colleagues saying 'you are not a superhero, you are just a fireman'."

"We now live in a very PC world," he added.

Wahesh

Reaction score
...and isn't it ironic that this all happens in September 11, when on the corresponding day in 2001, brave male firefighters rushed INTO the World Trade Centres in New York while everyone else was running out of them?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Just when you think the biggest crackpots are from America and Australia.
The United Kingdom swoops in and proves us all wrong!

Any group of people who have a majority which idolise inbreds, shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Disgusted. My favourite show growing up and also my son.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
wtf .. world has gone mad!!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Disgusted. My favourite show growing up and also my son.
Your son? Mate my niece watched that show when she was younger - and loved it!

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your son? Mate my niece watched that show when she was younger - and loved it!
Whether boy or girl, a child is a child. Why would a successful tv show be taken away from a child because of some adults who kick up a stink that the show is pro-male.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what Sam gets for letting that black and white cat just roam around the streets. Keep that little **** in a cage or in a run. They kill native birds, possums etc. Ain't nobody got time for that
Edit..... sam has a dog not a cat. Sorry Sam for defamation of character

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
They will reboot fireman Sam with a woman you watch.
It will come back in a few years time as firefighter Sam.

Btw all you women out there doing traffic control, you all look independent and empowered!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Thats what Sam gets for letting that black and white cat just roam around the streets. Keep that little **** in a cage or in a run. They kill native birds, possums etc. Ain't nobody got time for that
Dude... that's Postman Pat, not Fireman Sam lol.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
postman pat watch out your next. Don’t know who fireman Sam is I only know of bob the builder and postman pat

postdeliverer pat ?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
...and isn't it ironic that this all happens in September 11, when on the corresponding day in 2001, brave male firefighters rushed INTO the World Trade Centres in New York while everyone else was running out of them?
Yup correct , glad my bday was sept 9 and not the 11th lol.. 11th seems to be a bad number :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yup correct , glad my bday was sept 9 and not the 11th lol.. 11th seems to be a bad number :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
True - except for me lol. September 11 was actually the date I bought my house lol.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Edit..... sam has a dog not a cat. Sorry Sam for defamation of character
You're thinking of Postman Pat?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's no outrage over Postman Pat because when it's for a shit job, it's okay for men be the predominant sex according to Feminists.

Plus he has a cat, so we know what that means...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, the headline will cause outrage and get clicks...

Fireman Sam isn't being "axed", it's still on the tele. it's just no longer being used by ONE county's fire department as a mascot for recruitment.

With regards to the TV program however, I have had two observations from watching it with my son:

1. Why is he called "Fireman" Sam, and all everyone else called "Firefighter insert name here" etc. Seems a bit inconsistent.
2. Is it just me, or do these shows try to make thing subtly dirty for fun. I mean: Pontypandy? And Thomas is set in Titsmarch or something like that. And who of a certain age could forget Captain Pugwash with Master Bates and Seaman Steynes?

And James Bond won't be a woman FFS (hint: it's in the name). Stop being suckers.