Social Media Tigers target Storm fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exciting Melbourne Storm youngster Ryan Papenhuyzen could be on the way back to the side he left at the end of 2017 as Wests Tigers reportedly prepare a major offer.

The 21-year-old has been in scintillating form since being given a run in the first team under Craig Bellamy this season, scoring five tries and averaging 242 running metres per game, over 50 running metres more than any other player, in his six senior starts.

Chasing behind is Wally Lewis Medallist and Roosters superstar James Tedesco, who was among those keeping Papenhuyzen from the first team when he took the No. 1 fullback position while the current first-choice Storm runner was in their Under 20s.

Papenhuyzen remains on a deal worth less than $150,000 a year but this would be expected to change quickly if he takes this current game-breaking form through to season’s end and contributes to success, as the Storm will have a fight on their hands to retain his services.

The Tigers, meanwhile, will focus solely on their own offer after another ninth-place finish (reminiscent of an old gag involving another Tigers outfit) with no finals action to focus on, and could potentially be looking at offering more than three times the salary that he would be on should he stick around at AAMI Park next season.

Papenhuyzen comes out of contract with the Storm at the end of 2021.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would love for us to have a crack at him, I do think he will stay at Melbourne but I would throw him a big contract and try to bring him back to NSW.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Melbourne will hold onto him as they know how special he is but we and every other club should make huge offers for him that hopefully Melbourne can't match.

I called it earlier in the season before he was starting that he looked Slater and Tedesco esque and he hasn't disappointed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We already have DWZ tho? If we sign Papenhuyzen I'm not sure DWZ would want to play on the Wing or Centre (at least 1 reason why he left Panthers and also joined us).
I do think Papenhuyzen is slightly better then DWZ, but I don't think it's a big enough difference to just flick DWZ.
Papenhuyzen is also in a top 2 team, we know what we get from DWZ at our club. Intent and belief that is infectious.
I think Croft will be the 1 moving on from Storm.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We already have DWZ tho? If we sign Papenhuyzen I'm not sure DWZ would want to play on the Wing or Centre (at least 1 reason why he left Panthers and also joined us).
I do think Papenhuyzen is slightly better then DWZ, but I don't think it's a big enough difference to just flick DWZ.
Papenhuyzen is also in a top 2 team, we know what we get from DWZ at our club. Intent and belief that is infectious.
Papenhuyzen is a far more dynamic fullback than DWZ and is a much bigger threat to opposing defences with his speed and acceleration.

DWZ has been great and transformed the team but he could easily shift to the wing or centres and still be effective if we were to sign another fullback. If not, we'll all be very happy with DWZ as he's done a great job.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen is a far more dynamic fullback than DWZ and is a much bigger threat to opposing defences with his speed and acceleration.

DWZ has been great and transformed the team but he could easily shift to the wing or centres and still be effective if we were to sign another fullback. If not, we'll all be very happy with DWZ as he's done a great job.
I just have a feeling moving DWZ is going to be a massive headache. If not then Papenhuyzen would be a good buy and we'd also sort out a Wing or Centre spot in our back line. Meaney has been developing nicely on the Wing too tho (not sure if he's someone we'd want to stick with for long term tho).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He would be stupid to go back to the tigers.
Tigers have had some real good talent over the years who have gotten better after going to other clubs Papenhuyzen, Addo-Carr, Koribete.. even Tedesco. Luke Brooks needs to leave if he ever wants to fulfil his potential.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He would be stupid to go back to the tigers.
Tigers have had some real good talent over the years who have gotten better after going to other clubs Papenhuyzen, Addo-Carr, Koribete.. even Tedesco. Luke Brooks needs to leave if he ever wants to fulfil his potential.
He was also shopped around to every NRL club before the season started. There wasn't 1 taker. Storm didn't even know what they had in Papenhuyzen.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love the attitude DWZ has brought to the club but he does restrict us a lot in attack, Papenhuyzen got take us to another level, move DWZ to centre.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just have a feeling moving DWZ is going to be a massive headache. If not then Papenhuyzen would be a good buy and we'd also sort out a Wing or Centre spot in our back line. Meaney has been developing nicely on the Wing too tho (not sure if he's someone we'd want to stick with for long term tho).
Meaney has improved and is getting better as a winger each game but the same way DWZ was a marked improvement over Meaney as a fullback, he would be as a winger also.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will stay at storm.. if he knows what’s good for him lol, great player indeed..BUT we have DWZ and we really don’t need paps. Even though would be good to see him in the blue an white like it would be SO many we cloud name..!!

XERRI haha !!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FFS. Bad enough that we have to see every thread about players we're rumoured to be chasing, let alone the rumours of other clubs targets.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS. Bad enough that we have to see every thread about players we're rumoured to be chasing, let alone the rumours of other clubs targets.
LOL, I agree, long long off season

Status
Not open for further replies.