News Meaney sets new club record

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs winger Nick Meaney had a night out against the Brisbane Broncos on Saturday night, including creating a new club record.

Meaney scored three tries and kicked five goals for a total of 22 points to become the highest individual point scorer for a Bulldogs player in a match against the Broncos in the history of the club.

The 21-year old scored a try in the opening minutes of the match, added a second half double and converting four of the Dogs five tries, in addition to a penalty. A good day at the office by anyone’s reckoning!
The previous best performance was by Hazem El Masri in 2009 and Bryson Goodwin in 2010, who both scored 20 points from two tries and six conversions.

In only Meaney’s 22nd game for the club, the Ballina Seagulls junior was a standout against Brisbane and aside from his points tally, the speedster had 19 carries for 147 run metres, two-line breaks and four tackle breaks.

The 2019 recruit finished the year with:

* Six tries

* 32 goals

* 100 points for the season

* A goal kicking conversion rate of 80%

* 114.1 running metres per game

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well done nick... I will say it again, hat trick hero!!

He should go very well next year. Still more improvement to come from this kid..!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought he might be a chance of being our leading tryscorer by the end of this season. It took him a while to find his way in attack. But it's good to have a speedster on the wing who's safe as houses fielding kicks. Also re-ignites our tradition of having a goal kicking winger you can usually rely on to turn 4 points into 6.

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs winger Nick Meaney had a night out against the Brisbane Broncos on Saturday night, including creating a new club record.

Meaney scored three tries and kicked five goals for a total of 22 points to become the highest individual point scorer for a Bulldogs player in a match against the Broncos in the history of the club.

The 21-year old scored a try in the opening minutes of the match, added a second half double and converting four of the Dogs five tries, in addition to a penalty. A good day at the office by anyone’s reckoning!
The previous best performance was by Hazem El Masri in 2009 and Bryson Goodwin in 2010, who both scored 20 points from two tries and six conversions.

In only Meaney’s 22nd game for the club, the Ballina Seagulls junior was a standout against Brisbane and aside from his points tally, the speedster had 19 carries for 147 run metres, two-line breaks and four tackle breaks.

* Six tries

* 32 goals

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how does 6 x tries plus 32 x goals equal 100 points? Was there 12 x field goals? I’ve heard of rounding up, but that’s ridiculous

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but how does 6 x tries plus 32 x goals equal 100 points? Was there 12 x field goals? I’ve heard of rounding up, but that’s ridiculous
Shut up ... it's simple maths ffs ... ;)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Needs to bulk up in the off season
Why? Wingers dont need to run through ppl, they run around them. So speed is most important for a winger. Height can help but we cant make him taller lol. Bulking up will make him slower.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think someone is counting tries as 6 points. So 36 + 64 = 100

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? Wingers dont need to run through ppl, they run around them. So speed is most important for a winger. Height can help but we cant make him taller lol. Bulking up will make him slower.
That’s where you’re wrong.

Have you ever seen the documentary “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”? They managed to make a midget (I’m talking to 20cm) into at least 2m tall.

I don’t see why Meaney can’t be made taller as well.

In all seriousness, I agree with you. His speed is refreshing, and he’s very safe under the high ball. I’m actually impressed by how much he’s improved. Looking forward to seeing how he goes next season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

* Six tries

* 32 goals

Congratulations Meaney. Sure enough, it's just a record against a single team, but its deserved.
Meaney could have hung his head after being made the clubs first choice fullback, only to be replaced midseason by DWZ. But he didn't. He trained hard, and improved on the things that he needed to in order to become a winger. Well done to the kid!!

Malla

Reaction score
Good on him.. could have easily spat the dummy and came up with shit performances after getting moved to the wing but he put his head down and got it done and is now reaping the rewards.

Says a lot about his attitude and someone we want at the Dogs long term.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked better and alot more comfortable on the wing than at fullback.

He might cut it as a fullback in a few years, but that remains to be seen...

Looks like he has the wing spot nailed down for the next couple of years. Just needs to bulk up in the offseason, especially around the gluts and hips.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good on him.. could have easily spat the dummy and came up with shit performances after getting moved to the wing but he put his head down and got it done and is now reaping the rewards.

Says a lot about his attitude and someone we want at the Dogs long term.
Kid wants to play fg so he is obviously happy to play on the wing if it means he is part of the team. That's a team player.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to bulk up in the off season
Only thing the kid is missing besides reading attacking shifts which will come with experience.

Once this kid bulks up and starts bending and breaking lines he will start living up to his namesake.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think he will make a better fullback than dallin in year or two.
And ive been a big dallin fan for 3 or 4 years now.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I still think he will make a better fullback than dallin in year or two.
And ive been a big dallin fan for 3 or 4 years now.
was a meaney fan from the get go, was dirty hoppa got the start over him... dwz was what we needed this season, but im backing meaney to take the 1 back in a year or 2 also

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney has been impressive over the past couple of months, seeing as he's not a natural winger.... good intent and heavy involvement.... who knows when he will get another crack at FB, but he's definitely got a future ahead of him in first grade

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say I'm in the minority but I'm not sold on DWZ at fullback. He was great for us and probably the main thrust behind our late form, but he doesn't back up and find space through the middle that much and isn't that quick. Meaney wasn't doing that at fullback either, but next year we need our whoever is our fullback backing up all the time (with RT and RFMs offloading ability). I just like Meaney's pace at fullback and the extra grunt he seems to have gotten lately would help him back there. He's also accelerating earlier in his runs now. It's great to have options I guess.