Opinion Will Having Half of the squad of contract next year help us?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of won’t help lol. But OFF may.. another great SUMMERY..!! On this coldery evening :tongueclosed:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think so.
Our effort levels/areas are almost perfect.
We've already been competitive in almost every game.
It doesn't really make sense that you'd get more talented because you're off contract.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perform or see ya pretty powerful incentive

Reactions: DT

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be difficult if the young guys in our system lkick on. If Meaney continues to improve as a winger. Same with okonbur.
What if pay goes long term with Reimis as a centre and he gets better. Then you have the likes of Harper and Wakeham etc.
All of a sudden you have basic salary players worth more and rightly so.
Do you buy marquee players and squezze players out on the up who are here with us already. Players who are cheaper and potentially evolve with equal ability of a marquee signing.
I guess this is where the club has to balance it's vision and money when the war chest becomes available.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From November 1 all those players off contract are fair game. The club will have to act quickly to retain the players they deem necessary.
Other clubs are quite aware of our situation and would no doubt be drawing up a list of our players too. The positive end to our season will have raised the standing of our players and I won't be suprised if we lose a player the kennel thinks we should have kept.
Some tricky decisions on the cusp!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There may be a few that move on before the end of 2020 - if they only have one year left and can get two or three years elsewhere by leaving early, similar to Rhyse Martin situation. Some of those that have been around for awhile and not cemented first grade spots I think the club wouldn't stand in their way.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There may be a few that move on before the end of 2020 - if they only have one year left and can get two or three years elsewhere by leaving early, similar to Rhyse Martin situation. Some of those that have been around for awhile and not cemented first grade spots I think the club wouldn't stand in their way.
Hard to juggle an up and coming junior.look at wakeham.i like him has heaps of potential.what I’m Titans make him a big offer like 500k and a first grade offer?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We definitely need to have Reims locked up. Let’s not kid ourselves about 1 Nov - in demand players would already have been informally approached through their managers at least.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to juggle an up and coming junior.look at wakeham.i like him has heaps of potential.what I’m Titans make him a big offer like 500k and a first grade offer?
Just like Sezer!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be difficult if the young guys in our system lkick on. If Meaney continues to improve as a winger. Same with okonbur.
What if pay goes long term with Reimis as a centre and he gets better. Then you have the likes of Harper and Wakeham etc.
All of a sudden you have basic salary players worth more and rightly so.
Do you buy marquee players and squezze players out on the up who are here with us already. Players who are cheaper and potentially evolve with equal ability of a marquee signing.
I guess this is where the club has to balance it's vision and money when the war chest becomes available.
This is the challenge we face.

After watching the broncos game, did we really need Korisau? With Hoppa, Reimis, Harper, Holland (off contract this year?) and Montoya, did we really need noodle? And with our middles like Napa, Tolman, To'omaga, RFM and Elliot all showing very good form, do we need Ese'ese?? For me, it's a no to all of them. And I think that as time went on and each of those players wanting too much, the club also agreed that we did not need them.

An absolute weapon like Fifita would make us a powerhouse again. We just need a backup hooker on the cheap for a year or two. I dont even think we need to recruit in the halves. We just need to keep rotating Foran, Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham to keep them on their toes. Cogger also proved that he can come on and play backup hooker if need be as well. Who knows, maybe that's where his future lies?.....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From November 1 all those players off contract are fair game. The club will have to act quickly to retain the players they deem necessary.
Other clubs are quite aware of our situation and would no doubt be drawing up a list of our players too. The positive end to our season will have raised the standing of our players and I won't be suprised if we lose a player the kennel thinks we should have kept.
Some tricky decisions on the cusp!
This is true, but I think if given a choice, most would want to stay given our late season turn around. It really looks like we have a very happy and settled team. You can see the commeraderie amongst the team on display all the time.
A happy work environment is so important!! And I think Pay has created this. We may even have created an environment where they are happy to stay for equal or less, just like they did in the early 2000s. Let's hope so.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
contract year for half the squad top 8 for sure...