News Paul Gallen EXCLUSIVE:Why the Bulldogs can rise to make top eight in 2020

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the back end of the season, Canterbury have shown that old Dogs spirit that their club has always been known for.

They said openly that they were trying to find the old Bulldogs DNA by appointing a former player in Dean Pay as coach. It didn't work for them last year, didn't work for them at the start of this season, but it looks like Pay has found that now.

Leaders like Josh Jackson, Will Hopoate, Dylan Napa, Aiden Tolman have stood up. They've unearthed players like Morgan Harper and Jayden Okunbor. Lachlan Lewis had a good back-end to the season and that experience will be invaluable for him next year.

Corey Hawawira-Naera has been a strong signing. There are some good players on the bench, too: big blokes like Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Renouf Toomaga who can come on and cause some damage for short periods of time.

Melbourne's Joe Stimson is a good signing for them, plus South Sydney's Dean Britt. Those guys will be genuine pluses for them next year. They probably need to find another hooker; that position has been an ongoing issue for them.

But if they keep showing that fight, that competitiveness that the Bulldogs are famous for, I think they can challenge for the top eight next year.

Hopefully they can start next year the way they finished this season. It's always a bit easier when there's no pressure on you; Canterbury started throwing the ball around in the back end of the season and it stuck.

It will be interesting to see how they start next year when the pressure is back on. But there are players there who have experienced Test and Origin footy, quality players who should hold them in good stead amongst the new talent.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But this squad is un coachable to sum. 2 or 3 sighnings in the obvious positions and pay and the staff get it right.... i see no need why we didnt make it this year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The last two paragraphs on his summery summation sums it up perfectly

Reactions: DT

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow, so informative. He should be a commentator on tv or sumfing.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dozens of ridiculous posts a day but you make one spelling mistake and.....

Reactions: DT
Reaction score
I believe bulldogs had the side this year but there were some bad coaching decisions made. I think Pay is learning but he is not the brightest person his going to take time.
The team efforts saved him so all I can say his at least got the players playing for him.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"Make the top 8". I hope we're aspiring a bit higher

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can we really go into next season with same team or do we need a wild card like a sbw or semi

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's easy to say that our season was gone and nothing to play for. Yes I agree we chanced our arm at the backend of this season and attacked with more flair.
However our strength was we defended superbly against teams that where desperate to save their seasons to make the eight or improve their position in the eight.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People keep forgetting on here that the bulldogs had a horse sh.t
Roster this year and made the hard decision last year to release a heap of players
Woods
Mbye
Klemmer
Morris brothers
To this fact alone we were able to
Sign DWZ who was the biggest difference,if we have him from the season start we make the 8 comfortably,his presence in the team has rubbed on all the players
And they all have lifted.
Foran out for 3/4 of the season.
For what we had available we punched above our weight.
Next year we can push for top 4.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe ridiculous coaching decisions cost us the semis this year !
I wouldn't go past that notion... There were some abysmal tactics and stupid squad selections during the season. Best ones were starting CHN in the middle and then dropping him, refusing to play him on an edge. Taking 2 yrs to realise RFM is an off the bench middle forward and best tactic EVER that Belmore game and the infatuation of kicking it to Addo Carr's wing again and again and again. Also wait playing RFM and Foran next to each other after both were coming off lengthy injuries and almost 6 months of no game time, pretty sure we got pumped by 40 that game.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Gallen always talks highly of our club for some reason. Bit of a fresh change to the usual media comments.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
can we really go into next season with same team or do we need a wild card like a sbw or semi
Happy to work on the rebuild next year and take it from there...I'm not expecting big things in 2020 but if the boys play this good next year then it should be a good year regardless.

2021 should be the year we finally plug whatever holes are left with the some ripper signings.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The main reason we didn’t make the eight is we did loose a lot of experience compared to the experience we will lose next year so yea

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I could give a flying fuck about what Gallen has to say