Melbourne
Gold Coast
North Queensland
Canberra
Newcastle
New Zealand
Perth
2nd Brisbane Team

You play every team in your conference twice and every team in the other conference once for a total of 25 games. 1 round of inter conference games will be at a nuetral ground so every team ends up having 12 home and 12 away games in the other 24 games.

Top 4 from every conference end up making the top 8.
100% . I called Ray Hadley show in 2007 about this comp . They brushed me lol. It's the perfect competition. Win win all around.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Promote Ipswich to the NRL
2. Move the Sharks to the Central Coast
3. Bring in a new team to Perth

Create a draft (NBA style), it will help spread the talent as well as bring in more excitement and buzz in the off season.

In the longer term future a second team in WA would be the target and a merging of two Sydney teams.
A draft system would work... and would stop the cartel clubs from poaching all prospects

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A draft system would work... and would stop the cartel clubs from poaching all prospects
Can you imagine the excitement the draft would create, after the last two or three years we have had we could've been sitting here with a player like Fifita or Hass and further along in the rebuild. I guess the hardest thing about the draft would be asking young adults move to NZ if drafted by the Warriors.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A draft would require the agreement of the RLPA, the clubs, the commission and everyone working towards the good of the game. It would take just one dissenting player (aka Terry Hill) to destroy the draft.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A draft would require the agreement of the RLPA, the clubs, the commission and everyone working towards the good of the game. It would take just one dissenting player (aka Terry Hill) to destroy the draft.
Surprised someone hasn't tried to do the same thing with the cap tbh...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised someone hasn't tried to do the same thing with the cap tbh...
TPAs are a blight I agree. But just as the same as the draft, any restrictions placed on them to the detriment of the player earning could be seen as a restraint of trade.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Promote Ipswich to the NRL
2. Move the Sharks to the Central Coast
3. Bring in a new team to Perth

Create a draft (NBA style), it will help spread the talent as well as bring in more excitement and buzz in the off season.

In the longer term future a second team in WA would be the target and a merging of two Sydney teams.
The draft system works in the US because colleges pay for and likely profit from a number of sports. They develop most of the juniors with no cost incurred to the professional outfits. In Australia we barely have sports programs at most of our universities. So if we implemented a draft system the main clubs developing talent would pull out of their junior development commitments.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The draft system works in the US because colleges pay for and likely profit from a number of sports. They develop most of the juniors with no cost incurred to the professional outfits. In Australia we barely have sports programs at most of our universities. So if we implemented a draft system the main clubs developing talent would pull out of their junior development commitments.
I think junior development should be independent from professional clubs anyway. It'll take major investment in the short term to sort out new regional competitions as well as create enough incentive to get qualified coaches and staff, from a players stand point it'll be better for their development, it'll push them harder in their younger years to climb up the draft ranks and from an economical stand point it would be brilliant for the NRL, imagine the additional buzz it would create around struggling teams, the NRL could bring back the Nines comp which would be an opportunity for the clubs to showcase their new talent and generate bigger revenues.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think junior development should be independent from professional clubs anyway. It'll take major investment in the short term to sort out new regional competitions as well as create enough incentive to get qualified coaches and staff, from a players stand point it'll be better for their development, it'll push them harder in their younger years to climb up the draft ranks and from an economical stand point it would be brilliant for the NRL, imagine the additional buzz it would create around struggling teams, the NRL could bring back the Nines comp which would be an opportunity for the clubs to showcase their new talent and generate bigger revenues.
Todd Greenberg didn't even see fit to pay for junior development at our club. If he's in charge of the NRL taking over junior development, be prepared to see the standard of players to drop to amateur level.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Will weaken the competition.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
The season is to long. Should be 18 rounds. Rep rounds for origin and test with no games on. I called the continuous call team many years ago with same idea but Gus has Syd n regional which is smart. I think we should have 18 rounds with 4 groups . Play every 1 time except your group twice. The group's are decided based on last year's finishing and 2 from every group go in. 18 rounds in good. Drop the interchange to 6 and get rid of 7 tackle bullshit. The blue print for the commission is league from the 90s. Every team had a 7 . The reserve grade comp was strong. 3 games a day. Forwards packed into the scrum there wasn't a meeting to see who lacks in. The good old days.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The season is to long. Should be 18 rounds. Rep rounds for origin and test with no games on. I called the continuous call team many years ago with same idea but Gus has Syd n regional which is smart. I think we should have 18 rounds with 4 groups . Play every 1 time except your group twice. The group's are decided based on last year's finishing and 2 from every group go in. 18 rounds in good. Drop the interchange to 6 and get rid of 7 tackle bullshit. The blue print for the commission is league from the 90s. Every team had a 7 . The reserve grade comp was strong. 3 games a day. Forwards packed into the scrum there wasn't a meeting to see who lacks in. The good old days.
Wouldn't mind if scrums were completely scrapped with a hand over myself.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind if scrums were completely scrapped with a hand over myself.
It's an attacking option . All the forwards pack down. If scrums down break early like they do and fatigue with the big boys there is more space to backs to.attack.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d like to see a two tier competition.
3 teams, Promotion/relegation.