Opinion Nick Meaney

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Needs to work on his strength in the off season and he will be a gun with his speed and swerve. Addo-Carr was ordinary until he worked on his strength.
then he needs to put on mucsle while maintaining the good speed like Addo-Carr

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m converted.
Thought he was too easily pushed around.
He’s got some grunt.
* Good wing option especially with a tad more size.
* safe u see the high ball
* good speed
* a very very good fullback back up option now
* handy goal kicker
* it’s good to have 3 decent wingers with injuries inevitable

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately thats not just not how it works, this is coming from a 1.87m / 85kg guy with a lot of that being muscle, Meaney isn't built like someone how could just put on 10kg of muscle and not lose speed and agility.
Honestly depends how you train and how much development is left in terms of like bone growth, i look completely different to how i was when i was about 19-20, and even then i had put on about 10 kgs from when i was 18 and now an extra 10 since i was 20, and i'm fairly certain i'm faster than i was when i played footy despite not having trained for any kind of speed at all. Sometimes speed comes from acceleration mainly which is all about power and muscle.

Meaney isn't a thick framed guy but he definitely has some muscle and he holds it well, he could put on another 10kgs i'd say and possibly increase his speed if he works with decent sprinting coaches because he has great initial speed as well as when he breaks into stride, he's the opposite to Reimis who would probably suffer in terms of speed if he added muscle because his speed comes from his stride length mostly rather than a burst of acceleration and leg speed.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep he fits in the team better than lewis
I think Lewis fits the team well with another half like Foran, Lewis doesn't have that urgency that Foran has but he is pretty good at looking at the game in a calm way compared to how we used to be when Josh Reynolds was playing. They are polar opposites but i think if Lewis can pinpoint the moments where he should press on the gas in attack and be a bit more off the cuff then we would see huge improvement in our attack, he needs to attack the line with the same aggression he has when he defends.

I also think Meaney is going to be great for us, i really want to see him staying here along with Reimis and even hoppa, we need one good centre and we have our best backline in a long time with DWZ at fullback.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe if he can put on 10-15kg max of muscle with his current body

Height: 1.87 m
Weight: 90 kg

he would have the same build/height as the Eels Sivo and I'd love see that with his speed just charge at the line like he does lol, I always get worried when players start to man handle him but he should get stronger with the new training load and real world power training he is getting atm

15kg of muscle hw will never put that much on without steroids lol

Even then he probably wouldn’t

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually thought he has gotten better since DWZ signing.He instantly started to run with more aggression and purpose just the same as DWZ .For that you have to praise his attitude as could of thrown in towel after being moved to wing.Good players make others better around them and this is perfect case in point .Full credit to the kid.

It’s not like he got dropped to reserve grade and he wasn’t a seasoned first grader

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly depends how you train and how much development is left in terms of like bone growth, i look completely different to how i was when i was about 19-20, and even then i had put on about 10 kgs from when i was 18 and now an extra 10 since i was 20, and i'm fairly certain i'm faster than i was when i played footy despite not having trained for any kind of speed at all. Sometimes speed comes from acceleration mainly which is all about power and muscle.

Meaney isn't a thick framed guy but he definitely has some muscle and he holds it well, he could put on another 10kgs i'd say and possibly increase his speed if he works with decent sprinting coaches because he has great initial speed as well as when he breaks into stride, he's the opposite to Reimis who would probably suffer in terms of speed if he added muscle because his speed comes from his stride length mostly rather than a burst of acceleration and leg speed.
Thing is that nick would already be sitting at around 88kg, another 10kg would have him at close to 100kg and that’s going to absolutely decrease his speed, Atleast his speed off the mark.

Last edited:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His only a kid, he will naturally get bigger even without gym work
Got a feeling a good pre season after a full nrl season will do him wonders

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is that nick would already be sitting at around 88kg, another 10kg would have him at close to 100kg and that’s not going to absolutely decrease his speed, Atleast his speed off the mark.
depends what his body fat percentage is like, and as i said what natural growth is left in him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to go on an intense weights programme... The sooner this kid puts on size the better for all.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need decent strength and conditioning team if we want to get anything more out of Meaney

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Strength programs are different to muscle hypertrophy. You wouldn’t want to get him to increase his muscle size too much as it might slow him down. Strength training programs like deadlifts, squats and heavy bench pressing with low reps in the 3-5 rep range. Also power sled training exercises for explosive running power. I’m sure the club has him doing those things already, it just takes time.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Muscle works for Olympic sprinters and swimmers, why not Meaney :grinning:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
then he needs to put on mucsle while maintaining the good speed like Addo-Carr
Ado Carr was run down a couple of weeks ago. Extra bulk = slower running, unless the bulk is on the thighs for power - in the NRL it's the neck and shoulders they bulk up, to protect the head area. Can't put a dog collar on most NRL players because their necks are thicker than their heads.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
15kg of muscle hw will never put that much on without steroids lol

Even then he probably wouldn’t
Yep agree that's not happening at all. 5kgs with most being lean mass is what he should be aiming for in the offseason

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am super stoked with how he has progressed this year.
I also think he has improved since DWZ arrived.
He could have thrown his hands in the air and lost confidence and motivation when he got moved but instead he has knuckled down and worked very hard.
This is the kind of attitude you want in this club, I really hope he kills it, I really like the kid.